First new car, and happy with the choice
By Louise on
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I purchased my Escape after having to finally get rid of an 11-year-old Crown Vic. I wanted something that we could take camping and that would be safe/comfortable to travel in but that would get good fuel economy in the city. I have not been disappointed with my choice! The car is easy to drive. Since it is a hybrid that depends on braking to recharge the battery, it tends to get better gas mileage with long, slow stops (at least that's what I've noticed). I thought that going from a V8 to the hybrid would be a shock, but this vehicle really has some get-up-n- go. The seats are easy to move and clean, and I've never had any engine trouble.
Favorite Features
I got a package that included heated seats, which are a very nice addition. I also like the cloth cover that can be extended over the trunk area for privacy. The extra weight of the second battery also provides some extra stability.
Suggested Improvements
I do wish that we would have been able to put a tow hook on it, which I have seen on non-hybrid Escapes. Additionally, the engine sometimes gives this annoying high-pitched whine when it first starts up.