Doesn't Get Media Attention It Deserves
By richjoy on
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
The utility of this crossover is wonderful. It is not as fuel-efficient as the Prius, but is much larger both inside and outside. Guests find the back seat comfortable with good viewing. I like the blue instrument lighting, the center-stack, the lighter interior colors, and tinted windows. It handles extremely well in the city and is large enough on the highway for a sense of safety). The 2.3 engine sometimes seems a bit underpowered and louder than it should be. The workmanship on my vehicle is excellent. I don't regret that I bought a $300 Garmin Nuvi instead of the $2500 built in GPS. In summary: The Escape Hybrid doesn't get the media attention it deserves.
Favorite Features
Running on battery power; command of road, backup sensors, utility of space, gets lots of admiring glances. I record every filling--after 6,900 miles, my overall city/highway gas mileage is 35.3 mpg--from a low of 28.8 to a high of 39.1--and the trend is still improving as the weather improves.
Suggested Improvements
CVT sometimes revs noisily, lighted buttons (climate control/radio) difficult to read, especially at night. The seat cushions are a bit short for extended trips. (I understand the new 2009 will have a larger engine, 6-speed auto, and 1 added mpg--these are great additions)