Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Absolutely love it!
By Vince

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Seemed hard to get a Escape Hybrid, but it was well worth the wait after ordering it. Absolutely love driving it and watch the MPG display show 33+ MPG. Love the body style and the interior is very well designed. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Comfort. Quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the interior roof on the premium package (stone) was a little darker to avoid showing stains.

Disappointed in MPG
By Mater2

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I did my research and this vehicle stood out as far as looks and supposed mileage. I really love it in general. Very smooth ride, and fun to drive though the braking system takes some getting use to. I am however very disappointed in the mileage. I consistently get 25mpg MAX (after 1200 miles). From the other reviews, this is very low. I have a friend with a 2006 that gets over 30, has from the beginning. I don't know if I have a "lemon", but Ford will not even hear about mileage issues until 10,000 miles. Even though 25 is good for a SUV, it's not that much more than my Explorer. And I'm driving very conscientously. I recently drove a rented Charger, that got this mileage!

Favorite Features

Enjoy all of the "bells and whistles" that did not have on Explorer. Very smooth ride, and quiet. Handles well, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wish more color choices, "Auto" headlights do not come on soon enough when getting dark. Better design of front plate mount. Nicer rims, and tires for price. Need interior "handle" to close tail gate. Heater system very noise when on high fan.

An Escape, but even better
By Gecko

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own (and my kids drive) an '02 Yukon XL; '02 Honda AWD CRV; '05 Vibe; '06 Vibe; '05 Escape AWD XLT and now the '08 Escape Hybrid AWD. I love all of my cars and now the Hybrid Escape is great to drive in all weather but gets gas mileage like the Vibes. I really like the build and quality of the '05 Escape and the '08 Hybrid is just that much better, plus it is the perfect size now that my 4 kids are moving out of the house. The Hybrid is our around town car and the Yukon is our car when all 6 of us need to take a road trip. So far the Hybrid is everything I was looking for and I am very happy... BTW I also considered an '08 CRV and the '08 Santa Fe but went with the Escape.

Favorite Features

By far it is the very geeky energy monitoring system that came with the navigation package. I also like the various pukas for stashing gear. The interior is spacious for the size of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None right now

I Love it!
By Loved It

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car, kinda unexpected. I was walking around the cars while having my 06 Focus worked on. And I ran across the car. I test drove it.. and have been in love since! We have the leather interior.. I have never had that in any car.. and love it. The car rides perfectly! I am avg about 34mpg in the city.. and Don't do a lot of hwy driving, but when I went one state up, it was roughly 26mpg. Hybrid's aren't made for hwy driving! I don't have a lot of the extras, But I love it just the way it is! I was always a Mustang person, But now I will never not own a Escape!

Favorite Features

I love the interior. The ride is awesome. The stereo is surprisingly amazing for factory! And I love the MPG avg I get!

Suggested Improvements

I would add lights for the steering wheel on the cruise controls. And make a rubber mat thing for the back cargo area, Like the Santa Fe has.

Good Decision
By Rick

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were able to purchase one of the first 2008 Escape Hybrids out for 2008 and have found if a great vehicle for us. We are averaging about 26.7 miles per gallon that includes both highway and in town driving every day. The satellite and GPS system are worth the extra money and make driving that much more enjoyable.

Favorite Features

GPS, satellite radio, gas mileage, and the fact it's an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Easier rear set adjustment. closing handle on rear door inside and out.