Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great 08 updates
By James

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mountain driving with 26-27mpg. Smart AWD system works better than my Jeep's system. Comfortable heated leather seats and easy to use dashboard controls. Driver visibility and ride height higher than other SUVs. Could not justify the extra cost for the Toyota. Durability remains to be seen, for my Ford track record is not good. Good crash test results but not the best. Handles great in deep snow. Perfect for a family of 4 and winter gear in the back for a weekend in the mountains.

Exterior updates for 08', stereo system, seat comfort, climate control system, backup assist, acceleration, moonroof, interior fit and finish. Income tax incentive. Silent ride on electric up to 40 mph - most hybrids only go up to 30mph on soley electric. Standard warrant for hybrid components.

Engine noise at higher rpms, plastic front grille, no towing package, overpriced navigation system, substantian roll when cornering, front and back wipers on the same controller, roof racks not long enough for my large snowboard

Absolutely love it!
By Vince

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Seemed hard to get a Escape Hybrid, but it was well worth the wait after ordering it. Absolutely love driving it and watch the MPG display show 33+ MPG. Love the body style and the interior is very well designed. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Great gas mileage. Comfort. Quiet ride.

Wish the interior roof on the premium package (stone) was a little darker to avoid showing stains.

Disappointed in MPG
By Mater2

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I did my research and this vehicle stood out as far as looks and supposed mileage. I really love it in general. Very smooth ride, and fun to drive though the braking system takes some getting use to. I am however very disappointed in the mileage. I consistently get 25mpg MAX (after 1200 miles). From the other reviews, this is very low. I have a friend with a 2006 that gets over 30, has from the beginning. I don't know if I have a "lemon", but Ford will not even hear about mileage issues until 10,000 miles. Even though 25 is good for a SUV, it's not that much more than my Explorer. And I'm driving very conscientously. I recently drove a rented Charger, that got this mileage!

Enjoy all of the "bells and whistles" that did not have on Explorer. Very smooth ride, and quiet. Handles well, fun to drive.

Wish more color choices, "Auto" headlights do not come on soon enough when getting dark. Better design of front plate mount. Nicer rims, and tires for price. Need interior "handle" to close tail gate. Heater system very noise when on high fan.

An Escape, but even better
By Gecko

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own (and my kids drive) an '02 Yukon XL; '02 Honda AWD CRV; '05 Vibe; '06 Vibe; '05 Escape AWD XLT and now the '08 Escape Hybrid AWD. I love all of my cars and now the Hybrid Escape is great to drive in all weather but gets gas mileage like the Vibes. I really like the build and quality of the '05 Escape and the '08 Hybrid is just that much better, plus it is the perfect size now that my 4 kids are moving out of the house. The Hybrid is our around town car and the Yukon is our car when all 6 of us need to take a road trip. So far the Hybrid is everything I was looking for and I am very happy... BTW I also considered an '08 CRV and the '08 Santa Fe but went with the Escape.

By far it is the very geeky energy monitoring system that came with the navigation package. I also like the various pukas for stashing gear. The interior is spacious for the size of vehicle.

None right now

I Love it!
By Loved It

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car, kinda unexpected. I was walking around the cars while having my 06 Focus worked on. And I ran across the car. I test drove it.. and have been in love since! We have the leather interior.. I have never had that in any car.. and love it. The car rides perfectly! I am avg about 34mpg in the city.. and Don't do a lot of hwy driving, but when I went one state up, it was roughly 26mpg. Hybrid's aren't made for hwy driving! I don't have a lot of the extras, But I love it just the way it is! I was always a Mustang person, But now I will never not own a Escape!

I love the interior. The ride is awesome. The stereo is surprisingly amazing for factory! And I love the MPG avg I get!

I would add lights for the steering wheel on the cruise controls. And make a rubber mat thing for the back cargo area, Like the Santa Fe has.