Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Doesn't Get Media Attention It Deserves
By richjoy

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The utility of this crossover is wonderful. It is not as fuel-efficient as the Prius, but is much larger both inside and outside. Guests find the back seat comfortable with good viewing. I like the blue instrument lighting, the center-stack, the lighter interior colors, and tinted windows. It handles extremely well in the city and is large enough on the highway for a sense of safety). The 2.3 engine sometimes seems a bit underpowered and louder than it should be. The workmanship on my vehicle is excellent. I don't regret that I bought a $300 Garmin Nuvi instead of the $2500 built in GPS. In summary: The Escape Hybrid doesn't get the media attention it deserves.

Favorite Features

Running on battery power; command of road, backup sensors, utility of space, gets lots of admiring glances. I record every filling--after 6,900 miles, my overall city/highway gas mileage is 35.3 mpg--from a low of 28.8 to a high of 39.1--and the trend is still improving as the weather improves.

Suggested Improvements

CVT sometimes revs noisily, lighted buttons (climate control/radio) difficult to read, especially at night. The seat cushions are a bit short for extended trips. (I understand the new 2009 will have a larger engine, 6-speed auto, and 1 added mpg--these are great additions)

Only a bit shy of perfect!
By Gary

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven Explorers and 1 Mountaineer since '94, about 600,000 miles altogether, you might say I liked them. This is definitey the next thing. I'll admit to driving around 70-75 mph far more than the cops would like, and am getting 28.3 - 29.7 mpg. It's very comfortable, and I love driving a hybrid and still have awd, 4 seats and doors, some cargo space, an actual suv, y'know! -I think (hope) that Ford'll notch things up a bit in the next couple model years. Mine will kill the engine and then restart it 10 sec later (or even less!) regularly. You/it must start the engine to use the car. In this century all cars need locking fuel doors (actually they always should have had them)

Favorite Features

Hybrid! Good mileage! Excellent leather interior and amenities. Great sunroof! The mechanical/power/fuel consumption display and the whole media. GPS. Control center. All the displays and indicators. I'm really glad I could get one that's not a hideous green color.

Suggested Improvements

A locking fuel door and/or cap! The most expensive gas ever, and Hank's boys didn't think of it or want to be bothered! More extensive user control of the automatic lighting and locking functions. More/better soundproofing / noise reduction. improved ev drive utilization.

No Way in Snow States
By Charles

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Favorite Features

Great seats, good use of space, I like the recycled seat fabric.Nice size for city driving.I wanted car from US company,even with annoying things listed below,not that much worse than competition to cause me not to stay with the model for the good things,I do not know yet about long term reliability

Suggested Improvements

Worst steering wheel in auto show, feels like sandpaper, mold lines sharp and little nubs always felt when turning wheel. Center stack too busy, too many buttons. That silver trim bad with the brown interiors. Tough to find one with the black interior. Rattles in dash and console.

Great SUV - Fun to drive
By Giri Murthy

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It took me long time to hunt down an Escape Hybrid but it was worth the wait. Got the color and the options I was looking for. I live in south florida and it is giving me around 34- 35 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and not much highwaqy. The audio system and the navigation system is awesome. I liked the exterior of Mercury Mariner but that is even harder to get than the Escape.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, seat comfort, dual climate control, backup assist, income tax incentive and the most silent drive

Suggested Improvements

Better high quality interior parts.

Great 08 updates
By James

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mountain driving with 26-27mpg. Smart AWD system works better than my Jeep's system. Comfortable heated leather seats and easy to use dashboard controls. Driver visibility and ride height higher than other SUVs. Could not justify the extra cost for the Toyota. Durability remains to be seen, for my Ford track record is not good. Good crash test results but not the best. Handles great in deep snow. Perfect for a family of 4 and winter gear in the back for a weekend in the mountains.

Favorite Features

Exterior updates for 08', stereo system, seat comfort, climate control system, backup assist, acceleration, moonroof, interior fit and finish. Income tax incentive. Silent ride on electric up to 40 mph - most hybrids only go up to 30mph on soley electric. Standard warrant for hybrid components.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise at higher rpms, plastic front grille, no towing package, overpriced navigation system, substantian roll when cornering, front and back wipers on the same controller, roof racks not long enough for my large snowboard