Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Love the Escape Hybrid
By Doug

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape is a blast to drive. It feels nimble, solid, and sure, and the acceleration is remarkably good. After 8500 miles, we're averaging 32 mpg on the highway and between 32 mpg (my wife with a heavy foot) and 38 mpg (me with an exceptionally light foot) in town.

The instantaneous and average mpg display. (Put one on every car. As a nation, we would save millions of gallons of gas per year.) Satellite radio. Separate driver and passenger temperature controls. Side curtain airbags for all passengers. Sheer drivability and convenience.

Electronic stability control.

Doesn't Get Media Attention It Deserves
By richjoy

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The utility of this crossover is wonderful. It is not as fuel-efficient as the Prius, but is much larger both inside and outside. Guests find the back seat comfortable with good viewing. I like the blue instrument lighting, the center-stack, the lighter interior colors, and tinted windows. It handles extremely well in the city and is large enough on the highway for a sense of safety). The 2.3 engine sometimes seems a bit underpowered and louder than it should be. The workmanship on my vehicle is excellent. I don't regret that I bought a $300 Garmin Nuvi instead of the $2500 built in GPS. In summary: The Escape Hybrid doesn't get the media attention it deserves.

Running on battery power; command of road, backup sensors, utility of space, gets lots of admiring glances. I record every filling--after 6,900 miles, my overall city/highway gas mileage is 35.3 mpg--from a low of 28.8 to a high of 39.1--and the trend is still improving as the weather improves.

CVT sometimes revs noisily, lighted buttons (climate control/radio) difficult to read, especially at night. The seat cushions are a bit short for extended trips. (I understand the new 2009 will have a larger engine, 6-speed auto, and 1 added mpg--these are great additions)

Only a bit shy of perfect!
By Gary

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven Explorers and 1 Mountaineer since '94, about 600,000 miles altogether, you might say I liked them. This is definitey the next thing. I'll admit to driving around 70-75 mph far more than the cops would like, and am getting 28.3 - 29.7 mpg. It's very comfortable, and I love driving a hybrid and still have awd, 4 seats and doors, some cargo space, an actual suv, y'know! -I think (hope) that Ford'll notch things up a bit in the next couple model years. Mine will kill the engine and then restart it 10 sec later (or even less!) regularly. You/it must start the engine to use the car. In this century all cars need locking fuel doors (actually they always should have had them)

Hybrid! Good mileage! Excellent leather interior and amenities. Great sunroof! The mechanical/power/fuel consumption display and the whole media. GPS. Control center. All the displays and indicators. I'm really glad I could get one that's not a hideous green color.

A locking fuel door and/or cap! The most expensive gas ever, and Hank's boys didn't think of it or want to be bothered! More extensive user control of the automatic lighting and locking functions. More/better soundproofing / noise reduction. improved ev drive utilization.

No Way in Snow States
By Charles

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Great seats, good use of space, I like the recycled seat fabric.Nice size for city driving.I wanted car from US company,even with annoying things listed below,not that much worse than competition to cause me not to stay with the model for the good things,I do not know yet about long term reliability

Worst steering wheel in auto show, feels like sandpaper, mold lines sharp and little nubs always felt when turning wheel. Center stack too busy, too many buttons. That silver trim bad with the brown interiors. Tough to find one with the black interior. Rattles in dash and console.

Great SUV - Fun to drive
By Giri Murthy

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It took me long time to hunt down an Escape Hybrid but it was worth the wait. Got the color and the options I was looking for. I live in south florida and it is giving me around 34- 35 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and not much highwaqy. The audio system and the navigation system is awesome. I liked the exterior of Mercury Mariner but that is even harder to get than the Escape.

Stereo system, seat comfort, dual climate control, backup assist, income tax incentive and the most silent drive

Better high quality interior parts.