Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great year
By chucklesva

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent gas mileage. I have averaged 35 mpg since purchase. Very comfortable and quiet. Love the amount of stuff you can carry in it. It has been great.

Suggested Improvements

Softer material in the interior and better qaulity leather in the seats

Great
By rpecoraro

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this SUV for over a year now. Took it to Las Vegas in May averaged 26 mph going and 27 on the return trip over 4000 miles. Driving to and from work which is a 27 mile round trip I get 34 mpg, well over the 29 mpg on the sticker. On the downside in the winter I was only getting 25 mpg when it was below 30 degrees. I have not had any problems, just take it for oil changes. The book says every 10000 miles but I do it every 5000. Would buy it again.

Favorite Features

Sirrus radio

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price

2008 Hybrid Escape
By Dad Fish

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this vehicle (I traded a Chevrolet Suburban), especially the gas mileage. It rides smoothly, has good torque for passing and merging, and is a pleasure to look at in the driveway. I miss the room of my Suburban - but not the terrible gas mileage (14-15 MPG). The one thing that I don't think was engineered well is the rear hatch and glass. It rattles and is not sound proofed well at all. Also, the door windows could have used better guides - they rattle in the door when you close it if they are not rolled all the way up. Other than those two minor gropes, this vehicle is designed well and built with quality workmanship. I would definitely buy it again.

Favorite Features

6 cd MP3 system 110 volt outlet in front for household current - laptops, dvd players, charging cameras & camcorders. Styling - bold and aggressive. Kiwi Green color - (okay, that's my wife's one contribution) view from driver's seat. Hybrid - 'nuff said! 16" wheels, ground clearance, 10,000 mile oil chg

Suggested Improvements

Work on rear hatch design - so it doesn't rattle and seem cheap re-design window tracks - make them solid in all phases of window operation (grab the glass and see how much it wiggles when it's halfway down) I hate prop-rod hoods - give it cylinder assist lift. Don't cheap out on us!

Great Vehicle, Stellar MPG
By Mikey533

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been watching the Escape Hybrid since it came out in 2005. I have read a lot of reviews, and knew to wait until after 1000 miles to check MPG. Also, have read enough to know that cold weather drops MPG, but that is the cost of living someplace cold. I set the cruise on my 35 minute highway drive to work at 70 for the first month and averaged 32.5 MPG. Second month I set the cruise at 65 and it jumped to 34.5. Add in the city driving and I get around 35.5. I had to rush home one day, and it really does move like a V-6 when you stomp on it. I rode in a 2006 a few times before, and again after, buying mine, and the 2008 is quiet. Engine rev noise only when it is working real hard

Favorite Features

MPG great. Heated seats, awesome. Nav system worth the extra money. I got mine loaded, and love every option. The very best part is knowing that my money went to an auto worker in Missouri and a bank in Detroit rather than an oil tycoon. That alone makes it worth the extra money.

Suggested Improvements

Build more, and make America less dependent on foreign oil. Better yet, build a Focus Hybrid so I can replace my wifes car.

Love the Escape Hybrid
By Doug

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape is a blast to drive. It feels nimble, solid, and sure, and the acceleration is remarkably good. After 8500 miles, we're averaging 32 mpg on the highway and between 32 mpg (my wife with a heavy foot) and 38 mpg (me with an exceptionally light foot) in town.

Favorite Features

The instantaneous and average mpg display. (Put one on every car. As a nation, we would save millions of gallons of gas per year.) Satellite radio. Separate driver and passenger temperature controls. Side curtain airbags for all passengers. Sheer drivability and convenience.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic stability control.