2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Absolutely love it!
By Vince on 01/10/08 21:43 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Seemed hard to get a Escape Hybrid, but it was well worth the wait after ordering it. Absolutely love driving it and watch the MPG display show 33+ MPG. Love the body style and the interior is very well designed. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Disappointed in MPG
By Mater2 on 01/10/08 10:22 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I did my research and this vehicle stood out as far as looks and supposed mileage. I really love it in general. Very smooth ride, and fun to drive though the braking system takes some getting use to. I am however very disappointed in the mileage. I consistently get 25mpg MAX (after 1200 miles). From the other reviews, this is very low. I have a friend with a 2006 that gets over 30, has from the beginning. I don't know if I have a "lemon", but Ford will not even hear about mileage issues until 10,000 miles. Even though 25 is good for a SUV, it's not that much more than my Explorer. And I'm driving very conscientously. I recently drove a rented Charger, that got this mileage!

An Escape, but even better
By Gecko on 01/02/08 13:18 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own (and my kids drive) an '02 Yukon XL; '02 Honda AWD CRV; '05 Vibe; '06 Vibe; '05 Escape AWD XLT and now the '08 Escape Hybrid AWD. I love all of my cars and now the Hybrid Escape is great to drive in all weather but gets gas mileage like the Vibes. I really like the build and quality of the '05 Escape and the '08 Hybrid is just that much better, plus it is the perfect size now that my 4 kids are moving out of the house. The Hybrid is our around town car and the Yukon is our car when all 6 of us need to take a road trip. So far the Hybrid is everything I was looking for and I am very happy... BTW I also considered an '08 CRV and the '08 Santa Fe but went with the Escape.

I Love it!
By Loved It on 12/27/07 06:47 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car, kinda unexpected. I was walking around the cars while having my 06 Focus worked on. And I ran across the car. I test drove it.. and have been in love since! We have the leather interior.. I have never had that in any car.. and love it. The car rides perfectly! I am avg about 34mpg in the city.. and Don't do a lot of hwy driving, but when I went one state up, it was roughly 26mpg. Hybrid's aren't made for hwy driving! I don't have a lot of the extras, But I love it just the way it is! I was always a Mustang person, But now I will never not own a Escape!

Good Decision
By Rick on 12/23/07 12:14 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were able to purchase one of the first 2008 Escape Hybrids out for 2008 and have found if a great vehicle for us. We are averaging about 26.7 miles per gallon that includes both highway and in town driving every day. The satellite and GPS system are worth the extra money and make driving that much more enjoyable.

Happy
By Trekker9044 on 12/13/07 19:52 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this vehicle a few weeks and so far I am very happy with what I got for the money spent. The items that are noted as cons in the Edmunds review do hold true, but are not that big of deal in looking at the vehicle overall. I think the Escape handles well for an SUV and I enjoy driving it. The interior is nice and the cab is fairly quiet except when the engine is excellerating. I have only filled the tank on this vehicle 3 times so far. The first time I got 26mpg and the last two times I got 30mpg. This is a combo of freeway and city driving. I even drove it up the steep hills of San Francisco with three adults in it and still got 30mpg with good power.

Great Car for Tall People
By Steve on 12/07/07 16:19 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I drove a Ford Explorer 2 door prior to this car and I have more driver room in the Escape. I am 6'7" and love the room in this car. I loose a slight amount of vision on the side because the seat goes back so far. The gas mileage is great. My only concern is that the materials for the dashboard controls seem a bit fragile and I wonder how they will hold up in the long run.

Should have bought the Highlander
By Disappointed on 12/03/07 20:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I read all the reviews, drove most vehicles in this SUV/truck market and bought the escape because of the mileage and tales of better performance. I'm not getting it, only 25 mpg. I'm here to tell you buy a Toyota Highlander IF: you live out west and travel faster then 60, you want more cargo space and a better interior with more convience or you have anything to tow or haul. The 4 cyl gas engine and weak electric just don't cut it, it has to run at too high RPM's above 60 mph to deliver the mileage; in Montana the limit is 75! Last trip at that speed I got 22 mpg! Very disappointed! Everything else I read about it both good & bad has been listed by others; especially plug it in.

So excited
By meme on 11/27/07 18:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my 01 Escape for and 08 Escape Hybrid, and I'm loving it. I'm averaging about 32mpg. The engine turning off and going to electric takes some getting used to because it feels like your car has stalled. It also took some getting used to not having the power of the v6, but the car does great for the size and only being 4cyl. It's roomy enough for 2 children in the back. Blind spots are not that bad for a suv. Tons of storage space and little cubby spaces. Not that many out there so it was hard to find the color I wanted...black. This car makes my wallet happy

Exceeding epectations
By Toddo2636 on 10/29/07 05:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife picked the color Kiwi Green. I traded in my F250 4x4 for this pip sweek. I haven't turned back yet. We get consistent 34 MPG and have achieved 50 MPG on backroads average speed 25 MPH. I would like to see more driver features to affect fuel economy like electric only from the line. I use mine mostly for .5 to 1 mile trips just in time to get to electric. Also a plug in option would be nice. Hats off to all those supporting this awesome technology of regenerative braking.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.