Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

6 month evaluation
By City driver

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the vehicle for about 6 months. Bought the top-of-the-line and enjoyed it very much. It looks good, get great mileage (31 average). About a month after I bought it, it would start. Turned out there was a loose wire in the built in security system Last week, wrench light went on. Had to have a vent to cool the batteries replace. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Looks, versatility, gas mileage.

I put my bike(s)in the back. It would be nice if the material in the back was designed for more "outdoor" use. I have to put a cloth down to keep things clean. Bought the plastic liner to cover the back, but it didn't fit at all.

Traded my X5 - never looked back
By Denver

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a BMW X5 4.4 for five years prior to trading for the Escape Hybrid. Gas prices were part of my decision, and I honestly wanted to be one of the voices clamoring for Detroit to get with the program and invest in alternative powertrains. I loved the build quality and engineering excellence of the BMW. I expected that switching to a more pedestrian Ford was going to be full of compromise. Certainly, the finishes are less luxurious (recycled plastic instead of leather dash, fewer adjustments in the seating, etc), but overall, I have been quite satisfied. If I had it to do all over again, I would do it all over again.

Zippy, great nav system, good leather seats, decent stereo, consistent 30 MPG.

Why no E85? This should be easy! Understeer in corners, wallowing suspension, insane hoops to jump through to fold down rear seats (remove and stow headrests, lift and tumble seating surface, fold down seat back). No body side molding?

Love it but it rattles.
By Redwoodmeg

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the idea of a hybrid SUV and I am happy to "buy American" I have had my new Ice Blue Escape (I call her Sky) for about a month and I am getting about 35.5 MPG! I am a high mileage driver and was driving a 2002 Explorer and getting about 15 MPG. That was my 2nd Explorer. I am dissapointed at the hardness of the center console and the arm rests. The leather is a little stiff and I have a rattle in the center console where it meets the dash. My biggest concern is a rather loud noise in the back hatch that appeared after I drove on a slightly rough road in the 2nd week. It seems to be coming from inside the door near the Ford emblem. I don't want to "accept" this or get used to it.

Navigation, stereo, moon roof, size, color, and "greeness"

More supple leather. Much softer arm rests/center console. Tighter connections on plastic interior.

New England Ownership after 1 year, 2 Mo
By GuzziAlfa

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will echo much of the positive remarks about this vehicle although the one thing that is inconsistent between reviewers is mileage. In New England the weather is so variable by season that I actually charted my mileage for each fill up. In winter months with heat and electric seat heaters I could get 22 - 24 mpg. In the spring I shot back up to 30 mpg. Max mileage reached was 31.5 and that was only 3 times. The economy mode button helps by cutting out the engine at traffic lights so blowers will still work but not AC or heat. That's ok for short pauses. The one thing inconsistent is the HEV or hybrid display of mileage - it is always higher than reality by 1.5 - 2.5 miles.

Hybrid - why else buy it, right? Navigation, upgraded stereo, handling, mileage for a 4 wheel drive, albeit all wheel drive vehicle. Pickup from stop for such a small motor/hybrid vehicle. I can pull away from a light on battery if I want or step on it in a hurry.

Cargo space. The Sable wagon has more! H/L 4 wheel drive and a 2 wheel/4 wheel option. That would improve mileage. Worst feature is the warranty. Better battery life for running on motor only. Ford still has 3 year warranty for this vehicle. Sad, very sad. Hybrid battery has 8 year.

We love our Escape Hybrid
By Bako

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have owned our 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid for almost one year. It has been a great car. We have had no problems with it of any sort. I had a good test of the AWD last winter when traveling a lonely state highway in a full-on snowstorm. There was 3-4 inches of snow on the road and the Escape handled it beautifully. The Highway Partol closed the road right after I made it through due to other vehicles involved in accidents. Our milage is a very consistent 27 to 28 MPG, whether city or highway. In very hot weather the city mileage drops if the A/C can't be kept in the "economy" mode. If the A/C is not in "economy" the gas motor runs all the time. Great car! Buy it if you can find one!

Hybrid feature works great. Excellent gas mileage in stop and go traffic. Lots of interior room. Very good comfort. Nicely equiped with lots of standard features (such as cruise, dual zone A/C, trip computer, fog lights, etc.)

If you can find one at all in dealer inventory it will probably be loaded up with navigation, leather, etc. Do what I did and save yourself about $3500: order a base level one. If you want navigation buy an aftermarket on-dash unit like a Garmin.