2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Great year
By chucklesva on 06/04/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent gas mileage. I have averaged 35 mpg since purchase. Very comfortable and quiet. Love the amount of stuff you can carry in it. It has been great.

Great
By rpecoraro on 06/02/08 16:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this SUV for over a year now. Took it to Las Vegas in May averaged 26 mph going and 27 on the return trip over 4000 miles. Driving to and from work which is a 27 mile round trip I get 34 mpg, well over the 29 mpg on the sticker. On the downside in the winter I was only getting 25 mpg when it was below 30 degrees. I have not had any problems, just take it for oil changes. The book says every 10000 miles but I do it every 5000. Would buy it again.

2008 Hybrid Escape
By Dad Fish on 05/29/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this vehicle (I traded a Chevrolet Suburban), especially the gas mileage. It rides smoothly, has good torque for passing and merging, and is a pleasure to look at in the driveway. I miss the room of my Suburban - but not the terrible gas mileage (14-15 MPG). The one thing that I don't think was engineered well is the rear hatch and glass. It rattles and is not sound proofed well at all. Also, the door windows could have used better guides - they rattle in the door when you close it if they are not rolled all the way up. Other than those two minor gropes, this vehicle is designed well and built with quality workmanship. I would definitely buy it again.

Great Vehicle, Stellar MPG
By Mikey533 on 05/10/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been watching the Escape Hybrid since it came out in 2005. I have read a lot of reviews, and knew to wait until after 1000 miles to check MPG. Also, have read enough to know that cold weather drops MPG, but that is the cost of living someplace cold. I set the cruise on my 35 minute highway drive to work at 70 for the first month and averaged 32.5 MPG. Second month I set the cruise at 65 and it jumped to 34.5. Add in the city driving and I get around 35.5. I had to rush home one day, and it really does move like a V-6 when you stomp on it. I rode in a 2006 a few times before, and again after, buying mine, and the 2008 is quiet. Engine rev noise only when it is working real hard

Love the Escape Hybrid
By Doug on 04/28/08 21:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape is a blast to drive. It feels nimble, solid, and sure, and the acceleration is remarkably good. After 8500 miles, we're averaging 32 mpg on the highway and between 32 mpg (my wife with a heavy foot) and 38 mpg (me with an exceptionally light foot) in town.

Doesn't Get Media Attention It Deserves
By richjoy on 04/15/08 05:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The utility of this crossover is wonderful. It is not as fuel-efficient as the Prius, but is much larger both inside and outside. Guests find the back seat comfortable with good viewing. I like the blue instrument lighting, the center-stack, the lighter interior colors, and tinted windows. It handles extremely well in the city and is large enough on the highway for a sense of safety). The 2.3 engine sometimes seems a bit underpowered and louder than it should be. The workmanship on my vehicle is excellent. I don't regret that I bought a $300 Garmin Nuvi instead of the $2500 built in GPS. In summary: The Escape Hybrid doesn't get the media attention it deserves.

Only a bit shy of perfect!
By Gary on 03/31/08 01:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven Explorers and 1 Mountaineer since '94, about 600,000 miles altogether, you might say I liked them. This is definitey the next thing. I'll admit to driving around 70-75 mph far more than the cops would like, and am getting 28.3 - 29.7 mpg. It's very comfortable, and I love driving a hybrid and still have awd, 4 seats and doors, some cargo space, an actual suv, y'know! -I think (hope) that Ford'll notch things up a bit in the next couple model years. Mine will kill the engine and then restart it 10 sec later (or even less!) regularly. You/it must start the engine to use the car. In this century all cars need locking fuel doors (actually they always should have had them)

No Way in Snow States
By Charles on 03/22/08 04:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Great SUV - Fun to drive
By Giri Murthy on 02/19/08 09:03 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It took me long time to hunt down an Escape Hybrid but it was worth the wait. Got the color and the options I was looking for. I live in south florida and it is giving me around 34- 35 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and not much highwaqy. The audio system and the navigation system is awesome. I liked the exterior of Mercury Mariner but that is even harder to get than the Escape.

Great 08 updates
By James on 01/29/08 07:10 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mountain driving with 26-27mpg. Smart AWD system works better than my Jeep's system. Comfortable heated leather seats and easy to use dashboard controls. Driver visibility and ride height higher than other SUVs. Could not justify the extra cost for the Toyota. Durability remains to be seen, for my Ford track record is not good. Good crash test results but not the best. Handles great in deep snow. Perfect for a family of 4 and winter gear in the back for a weekend in the mountains.