2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
No Way in Snow States
By Charles on 03/22/08 04:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In cold weather I was getting down to 19-21 in city driving, 26 on highway. Never got over 24 in city, and I drove this by the textbook. Took off slowly, to stay in electric mode, people honked a lot at me on slow take off from lights. I chose fwd to save fuel, slipped all the time in the least amount of snow, got stuck twice in snow when other fwd cars drove by me. Then I read it has no traction control! The heavy battery in back throws off the weight balance advantage of fwd. Very frustrating experience! You in cold weather states need to beware! I traded to escape 4 cyl fwd, and similar mileage in cold temps and no slippage in snow, maybe ok in warm states. Not worth the extra $ for hybrid.

Great SUV - Fun to drive
By Giri Murthy on 02/19/08 09:03 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It took me long time to hunt down an Escape Hybrid but it was worth the wait. Got the color and the options I was looking for. I live in south florida and it is giving me around 34- 35 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and not much highwaqy. The audio system and the navigation system is awesome. I liked the exterior of Mercury Mariner but that is even harder to get than the Escape.

Absolutely love it!
By Vince on 01/10/08 21:43 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Seemed hard to get a Escape Hybrid, but it was well worth the wait after ordering it. Absolutely love driving it and watch the MPG display show 33+ MPG. Love the body style and the interior is very well designed. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

I Love it!
By Loved It on 12/27/07 06:47 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car, kinda unexpected. I was walking around the cars while having my 06 Focus worked on. And I ran across the car. I test drove it.. and have been in love since! We have the leather interior.. I have never had that in any car.. and love it. The car rides perfectly! I am avg about 34mpg in the city.. and Don't do a lot of hwy driving, but when I went one state up, it was roughly 26mpg. Hybrid's aren't made for hwy driving! I don't have a lot of the extras, But I love it just the way it is! I was always a Mustang person, But now I will never not own a Escape!

Happy
By Trekker9044 on 12/13/07 19:52 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this vehicle a few weeks and so far I am very happy with what I got for the money spent. The items that are noted as cons in the Edmunds review do hold true, but are not that big of deal in looking at the vehicle overall. I think the Escape handles well for an SUV and I enjoy driving it. The interior is nice and the cab is fairly quiet except when the engine is excellerating. I have only filled the tank on this vehicle 3 times so far. The first time I got 26mpg and the last two times I got 30mpg. This is a combo of freeway and city driving. I even drove it up the steep hills of San Francisco with three adults in it and still got 30mpg with good power.

Great Car for Tall People
By Steve on 12/07/07 16:19 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. I drove a Ford Explorer 2 door prior to this car and I have more driver room in the Escape. I am 6'7" and love the room in this car. I loose a slight amount of vision on the side because the seat goes back so far. The gas mileage is great. My only concern is that the materials for the dashboard controls seem a bit fragile and I wonder how they will hold up in the long run.

So excited
By meme on 11/27/07 18:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my 01 Escape for and 08 Escape Hybrid, and I'm loving it. I'm averaging about 32mpg. The engine turning off and going to electric takes some getting used to because it feels like your car has stalled. It also took some getting used to not having the power of the v6, but the car does great for the size and only being 4cyl. It's roomy enough for 2 children in the back. Blind spots are not that bad for a suv. Tons of storage space and little cubby spaces. Not that many out there so it was hard to find the color I wanted...black. This car makes my wallet happy

Exceeding epectations
By Toddo2636 on 10/29/07 05:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife picked the color Kiwi Green. I traded in my F250 4x4 for this pip sweek. I haven't turned back yet. We get consistent 34 MPG and have achieved 50 MPG on backroads average speed 25 MPH. I would like to see more driver features to affect fuel economy like electric only from the line. I use mine mostly for .5 to 1 mile trips just in time to get to electric. Also a plug in option would be nice. Hats off to all those supporting this awesome technology of regenerative braking.

Well worth the money
By EHF on 10/12/07 08:12 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I now have over 8500 miles on this car since June '07, including several 400+ mile trips. Gas mileage has been better than advertised, averaging over 34 miles per gallon composite city and highway driving (I do drive with economy in mind and have filled my tires with dry nitrogen which also helps economy). The ride remains very smooth, comfortable, and tight. Acceleration when required is good. Handling is quick and nimble (that doesn't make it a sports car though) and there is still no sign of tip-up while cornering. This vehicle continues to be everything I had hoped for and more, thank you Ford for making it available and please build more hybrids for us (e.g., a Ford Fusion Hybrid).

Best Bang for the Buck
By Russ on 09/25/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have never owned a Ford, a hybrid, or a kiwi green vehicle before. I am very impressed. I love this SUV! We are going to get a $3000 rebate from the government so getting this vehicle was a no brainer. We also looked at a Toyota Highlander and for $10,000 less, the Escape was the best bang for the buck. The interior is roomy, SUV has good handling, and I love the kiwi green color. The hybrid is so quiet that the SUV sounds like the engine is off. I am getting 32 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. It has a very smooth ride and so far, I would recommend this SUV to anyone. Be prepared to wait 8 to 12 weeks if you order one; but it is worth the wait.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.