Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

First hybrid owner
By TONY M.

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It was the price that got us in the door. Then it was the vehicle, and good salesmanship that kept us there. We drove our Escape Hybrid from Spearfish to Rapid City, and we knew that we had made the right decision. My wife says "It is quiet & relaxing like Grandmom's Studebaker".

Favorite Features

The automatic lights on, for night time illumination. The automatic transmission with seamless shift changes. Lots of head room. It's a friendly, economic, and fun SUV

Suggested Improvements

Our plan was to get an electric vehicle that does not kick in the engine until over 30 to 35 mph, you know, around town driving speed. There are other vehicles out there that can do this. Higher electric speed can be more effecient. The hood design could be flatter from the drivers perspective.

Traded Hummer H2 SUT and Very Happy!
By Craig Y in Dallas

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I bought my FEH in May 2007, I was looking for a more economical replacement for my Hummer H2 that I absolutely loved, that is until I had to feed it! I was spending $600 - $900 per month on fuel and could no longer justify that expense. I did not want to buy the 4WD FEH initially until I could determine whether I could be happy in the pint sized replacement. I purchased the 2008 FEH FWD and to my absolute amazement, it surpassed my expectations in every way! It not only delivers 2.5 to 3 times the gas milease I was getting in my H2 but it had more cargo space and great acceleration. From my home in Dallas, I regularly get 32 - 37 MPG driving to and from Austin.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, DVD navigation with 1 DVD for entire U.S and Canada, and Sirius XM satellite radio!

Suggested Improvements

More optional equipment for the Hybrid. Not all optional equipment for non-hybrid Escape will work with FEH. Specifically, I wanted integrated Bluetooth kit and Homelink (garage door opener) rear view mirror. In both cases, wiring harness will not work on Hybrid. Still not available in 2009!

First new car, and happy with the choice
By Louise

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my Escape after having to finally get rid of an 11-year-old Crown Vic. I wanted something that we could take camping and that would be safe/comfortable to travel in but that would get good fuel economy in the city. I have not been disappointed with my choice! The car is easy to drive. Since it is a hybrid that depends on braking to recharge the battery, it tends to get better gas mileage with long, slow stops (at least that's what I've noticed). I thought that going from a V8 to the hybrid would be a shock, but this vehicle really has some get-up-n- go. The seats are easy to move and clean, and I've never had any engine trouble.

Favorite Features

I got a package that included heated seats, which are a very nice addition. I also like the cloth cover that can be extended over the trunk area for privacy. The extra weight of the second battery also provides some extra stability.

Suggested Improvements

I do wish that we would have been able to put a tow hook on it, which I have seen on non-hybrid Escapes. Additionally, the engine sometimes gives this annoying high-pitched whine when it first starts up.

An SUV that I am not ashamed to drive
By pjl1

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Took delivery of FEH in 6/24/08. The moment I drove it home I knew this was a keeper. It has plenty of power and yet it gets good mileage. I get about 6.7 lt/100 KM in a small town and 7.1 on the highway. It is quiet in electric drive (stealth mode). We bought an upscale model with most of the toys including the AWD. The ease of getting in/out is also a plus. The front leather seats are very comfortable. Interior lighting gives it a classy look at night. The ownership, to date, has been a pleasure. It is a bit disconcerting at first when the engine shuts down in traffic. I don't mind when the ECON switch (on) shuts down the AC in traffic (I can take a litle heat) I just thnk about the gas.

Favorite Features

Comfort of ride. The important controls are easy to reach. The seats are firm yet comfortable. The heated seats work well and very quickly. Lots of storage when the seats are down. Fit and finish are good. Got to love the hybrid best of all. Not too much of a complaint here. Ford got the SUV right.

Suggested Improvements

More colour choices. I wish it had stability control on the '08. Seat belts in back are difficult to get into. Laying down of the seats is a hassle. The NAV system could include a better terrain view. Ford should give a more recent map CD. A rub strip on the side is needed. Get rid of the hood prop.

6 month evaluation
By City driver

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the vehicle for about 6 months. Bought the top-of-the-line and enjoyed it very much. It looks good, get great mileage (31 average). About a month after I bought it, it would start. Turned out there was a loose wire in the built in security system Last week, wrench light went on. Had to have a vent to cool the batteries replace. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Favorite Features

Looks, versatility, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I put my bike(s)in the back. It would be nice if the material in the back was designed for more "outdoor" use. I have to put a cloth down to keep things clean. Bought the plastic liner to cover the back, but it didn't fit at all.