Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Wish I had my TAHOE Z71 back
By Sandra Kemp

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the hybrid solely because of the price of gas; approaching $5/gal. I was driving a Tahoe Z71 that had a 25 gal. tank that I had to fillup every 5-6 days. I came from a Cadillac to a geo. When I accelerate up a hill it sounds like a cheap sewing machine; unbearable. The interior carpet and leatherette seats are cheaply made. I had to brake quickly the other evening and slid sideways. No traction.

Gas consumption averages 32 city and highway. Stereo system is above average.

Get rid of the pinging sound when you accelerate. Improve braking. Upgrade the interior materials.

Proud owner of a Ford Escape Hybrid
By Bill S.

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid does not only get great mileage for a SUV but also has very low pollution emissions. I like the styling and don't feel I compromised on any factors when I bought it. I have kept a spreadsheet of actual mileage and have maintained an overall 31 mpg. The worst case mileage is log distance highway driving at 70+ mph when my FEH got 28 mpg. Around town and using hypermiling techniques I have gotten 35+ mpg.

Style, comfort (leather seats and leg room for 6 ft people), room to carry camping equipment and 4-5 people.

1)Update computer control so that 2008 can drive up to 40 mph in electric mode only. 2)More and better digital displays (w/o Nav Kit) to aid in hypermiling. 3)Longer warranty on bumper to bumper (currently 3-36000). 4)FEH Hybrid Decals/Accents to add to vehicle to augment green leaf (proud owner).

Pleased with 2008 Escape Hybrid
By George S

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this for the boss to replace a mini-van we outgrew. We wanted to downsize but not give up comfort and the ability to haul stuff from time to time. Oh yes, we wanted to use less gas as well. The Escape Hybrid did all these things for us. It gets a consistent 30MPG which certainly meets our expectations. We have not had any trouble with it whatsoever. Frankly, I didn't expect it to be this good but Ford, so far, has exceeded my expectations with regard to reliability. As an engineer, I appreciate and respect this as a technological achievement. The shop manuals for it have been enlightening and entertaining. To the boss it's "push this to go; this to stop". It works for both of us.

Seamless hybrid operation; comfortable on trips; flat screen display and representation of the power functions;

HVAC should be simpler, it appears to have too many confusing functions. I prefer to dial in the temp and let it decide how to achieve same. Use the graphical display to incorporate engine diagnostic functions (i.e. OBDII and Ford specific). Dopey-but how about a single swipe feature for the wipers?

Traded Hummer H2 SUT and Very Happy!
By Craig Y in Dallas

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I bought my FEH in May 2007, I was looking for a more economical replacement for my Hummer H2 that I absolutely loved, that is until I had to feed it! I was spending $600 - $900 per month on fuel and could no longer justify that expense. I did not want to buy the 4WD FEH initially until I could determine whether I could be happy in the pint sized replacement. I purchased the 2008 FEH FWD and to my absolute amazement, it surpassed my expectations in every way! It not only delivers 2.5 to 3 times the gas milease I was getting in my H2 but it had more cargo space and great acceleration. From my home in Dallas, I regularly get 32 - 37 MPG driving to and from Austin.

Comfortable seats, DVD navigation with 1 DVD for entire U.S and Canada, and Sirius XM satellite radio!

More optional equipment for the Hybrid. Not all optional equipment for non-hybrid Escape will work with FEH. Specifically, I wanted integrated Bluetooth kit and Homelink (garage door opener) rear view mirror. In both cases, wiring harness will not work on Hybrid. Still not available in 2009!

6 month evaluation
By City driver

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the vehicle for about 6 months. Bought the top-of-the-line and enjoyed it very much. It looks good, get great mileage (31 average). About a month after I bought it, it would start. Turned out there was a loose wire in the built in security system Last week, wrench light went on. Had to have a vent to cool the batteries replace. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Looks, versatility, gas mileage.

I put my bike(s)in the back. It would be nice if the material in the back was designed for more "outdoor" use. I have to put a cloth down to keep things clean. Bought the plastic liner to cover the back, but it didn't fit at all.

• SUV