2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Love it but it rattles.
By Redwoodmeg on 07/29/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the idea of a hybrid SUV and I am happy to "buy American" I have had my new Ice Blue Escape (I call her Sky) for about a month and I am getting about 35.5 MPG! I am a high mileage driver and was driving a 2002 Explorer and getting about 15 MPG. That was my 2nd Explorer. I am dissapointed at the hardness of the center console and the arm rests. The leather is a little stiff and I have a rattle in the center console where it meets the dash. My biggest concern is a rather loud noise in the back hatch that appeared after I drove on a slightly rough road in the 2nd week. It seems to be coming from inside the door near the Ford emblem. I don't want to "accept" this or get used to it.

Great Ford SUV
By Tom on 06/19/08 13:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Leather Interior needs to be more comfortable, but overall this is a great vehicle and will buy another one. Very reliable and gas mileage is great even with my lead foot. Finally the US automakers have something to be really proud of. Over 21,000 miles of hard driving and no problems! Highly recommended!

Coolest vehicle I've ever owned!
By Mooline on 06/16/08 04:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape Hybrid has surpassed my '71 Firebird as the coolest car I've ever owned. It's great to have the load capacity of an SUV on the same gas mileage as the Camry Hybrid. Driving this vehicle is a fun challenge - to see how efficient you can be! Technique definitely matters - no jackrabbit starts, coast as much as possible, avoid excessive speed and you'll see 32-33 mpg without a problem. I live in South FL and so far, no problems with the a/c on economy mode; car stays cool with the fan & recirc. air. I did a lot of research before buying. Settled on this vs. Camry Hybrid (equivalent in style & fuel economy) due to max. tax credit, lower price, better load capacity.

I love my Escape Hybrid!
By Becky on 06/12/08 13:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am so happy I bought this car! I traded in my BMW X5 and year later I know I made the right decision. I am getting about 35mpg vs the 10mpg in the X5. I highly reccomend this car. I also got a $4000 tax credit from the IRS for purchasing a hybrid vehicle. The dealership doesn't want you to know that because they are trying to sell the non-hybrid versions. If you have to have an SUV this is a great truck!

Love this car!
By MT on 06/07/08 17:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We ordered our Escape and had to wait 1 week for delivery, loaded has everything possible. Sleek Black w/Chrome trim. Love the drive, roomy inside, and good gas mpg. Traded in Ford Eddie B. Escape and transition to Escape is seemless, only difference is Escape is much easier to drive, easy to steer and manuever, and park. Best decision I made in a long time.

Great year
By chucklesva on 06/04/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent gas mileage. I have averaged 35 mpg since purchase. Very comfortable and quiet. Love the amount of stuff you can carry in it. It has been great.

2008 Hybrid Escape
By Dad Fish on 05/29/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this vehicle (I traded a Chevrolet Suburban), especially the gas mileage. It rides smoothly, has good torque for passing and merging, and is a pleasure to look at in the driveway. I miss the room of my Suburban - but not the terrible gas mileage (14-15 MPG). The one thing that I don't think was engineered well is the rear hatch and glass. It rattles and is not sound proofed well at all. Also, the door windows could have used better guides - they rattle in the door when you close it if they are not rolled all the way up. Other than those two minor gropes, this vehicle is designed well and built with quality workmanship. I would definitely buy it again.

Great Vehicle, Stellar MPG
By Mikey533 on 05/10/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been watching the Escape Hybrid since it came out in 2005. I have read a lot of reviews, and knew to wait until after 1000 miles to check MPG. Also, have read enough to know that cold weather drops MPG, but that is the cost of living someplace cold. I set the cruise on my 35 minute highway drive to work at 70 for the first month and averaged 32.5 MPG. Second month I set the cruise at 65 and it jumped to 34.5. Add in the city driving and I get around 35.5. I had to rush home one day, and it really does move like a V-6 when you stomp on it. I rode in a 2006 a few times before, and again after, buying mine, and the 2008 is quiet. Engine rev noise only when it is working real hard

Love the Escape Hybrid
By Doug on 04/28/08 21:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape is a blast to drive. It feels nimble, solid, and sure, and the acceleration is remarkably good. After 8500 miles, we're averaging 32 mpg on the highway and between 32 mpg (my wife with a heavy foot) and 38 mpg (me with an exceptionally light foot) in town.

Doesn't Get Media Attention It Deserves
By richjoy on 04/15/08 05:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The utility of this crossover is wonderful. It is not as fuel-efficient as the Prius, but is much larger both inside and outside. Guests find the back seat comfortable with good viewing. I like the blue instrument lighting, the center-stack, the lighter interior colors, and tinted windows. It handles extremely well in the city and is large enough on the highway for a sense of safety). The 2.3 engine sometimes seems a bit underpowered and louder than it should be. The workmanship on my vehicle is excellent. I don't regret that I bought a $300 Garmin Nuvi instead of the $2500 built in GPS. In summary: The Escape Hybrid doesn't get the media attention it deserves.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.