Used 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Very Good SUV hybrid
By vincenc08

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2008 Kiwi green Escape Hybrid has been a very good SUV. Had is for 3 yrs and 71K mi ...reliability is very good only a few minor build issues. Good interior room and surprising storage with 2 nd row folded down. Gas mileage is over 32 mpg on HIway 33 city. Sotck tire have ltos of road noise after 30K mi. Eco seat material stains easily...hard to keep clean. There is a way to get them replaced but you really have to dig on the internet. Overall a very good SUV if you can live with some minor quirks.

Favorite Features

Clean dash controls, gas mileage, storage room with 2nd row seat folded, brisk acceleration, value priced hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

Seat material, stock tires

Escape Diebrid not Hybrid
By scoobykk

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has the potential to die on you while driving or parked. There are problems with the parts below that you should be aware of before purchasing. Repair is very expensive. FORD nor your dealership will inform you of known potential problems. For FORD 05-07 owners, these parts are known to fail so get them checked out before the BtoB warranty expires. 1. MOTOR cooling system water pump pn# (5m6z8c419a) TSB (Technical Service Bulletin ) # 07-25-12. 2. The Blend air door actuator applications pn# (8L8Z19E616E), will also probably need to be replaced.

Favorite Features

I no longer have any favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Replace faulty known parts at company expense.

Typical Ford
By CarGuy87

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This Escape is a Fleet vehicle that gets a lot of use - 25k miles per year. I was initially very happy when the company bought the Escape. The first winter the wrench light kept coming on disabling traction control. The power steering periodically shuts off, which the manual calls "normal". Recently this triangle light has been coming on almost daily which indicates a serious problem with the Hybrid system. The shift had to be replace after something broke inside releasing the car from park, resulting in a co-worker getting run over by the car. The gas/elec transition is rough, and the gas engine is loud. I understand its feet and it'll have problems - but this is ridiculous.

Favorite Features

Great sound system, love the blue lighting. Good size vehicle. Good acceleration and handling. Does great in the snow when the traction control works.

Suggested Improvements

Quality! If it can't handle two years of fleet use, what about after five years of normal use?

I feel happy to drive
By hilary

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have switched from a Mazda 5 to this car to get a better seating a storage arrangement. I LOVE the fuel efficiency around town and feel great about my choice. Its not as fancy as my mom's Prius with all the electronics, but getting 34 miles to 40 miles a gallon schlepping kids in a big car makes me smile every time I turn the key. I am proud to drive this car!

Favorite Features

Aux input! Avg MPG digital readout! Not constantly staring at onboard computer reading...priceless!

Suggested Improvements

better air circulation efficiency

Not bad...not bad at all.
By Chris

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is not something you are going to want if you are looking for the drive of your life, but if you're looking to have an economical vehicle that looks pretty good, then this is the one for you. I did have a couple proplems with some of the features when I first got my car, but Ford was more than happy to fix those up for me. All in all this is probably on of the best cars I've owned. I enjoy the smill I have every time I fill up my gas tank.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, auido package, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the accessories that come on this vehicle aren't built...well Ford tough so they might have to be replaced over time.