2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Very Good SUV hybrid
By vincenc08 on 08/22/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2008 Kiwi green Escape Hybrid has been a very good SUV. Had is for 3 yrs and 71K mi ...reliability is very good only a few minor build issues. Good interior room and surprising storage with 2 nd row folded down. Gas mileage is over 32 mpg on HIway 33 city. Sotck tire have ltos of road noise after 30K mi. Eco seat material stains easily...hard to keep clean. There is a way to get them replaced but you really have to dig on the internet. Overall a very good SUV if you can live with some minor quirks.

Escape Diebrid not Hybrid
By scoobykk on 02/27/11 19:29 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has the potential to die on you while driving or parked. There are problems with the parts below that you should be aware of before purchasing. Repair is very expensive. FORD nor your dealership will inform you of known potential problems. For FORD 05-07 owners, these parts are known to fail so get them checked out before the BtoB warranty expires. 1. MOTOR cooling system water pump pn# (5m6z8c419a) TSB (Technical Service Bulletin ) # 07-25-12. 2. The Blend air door actuator applications pn# (8L8Z19E616E), will also probably need to be replaced.

Typical Ford
By CarGuy87 on 04/13/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This Escape is a Fleet vehicle that gets a lot of use - 25k miles per year. I was initially very happy when the company bought the Escape. The first winter the wrench light kept coming on disabling traction control. The power steering periodically shuts off, which the manual calls "normal". Recently this triangle light has been coming on almost daily which indicates a serious problem with the Hybrid system. The shift had to be replace after something broke inside releasing the car from park, resulting in a co-worker getting run over by the car. The gas/elec transition is rough, and the gas engine is loud. I understand its feet and it'll have problems - but this is ridiculous.

Not great in a cold climate
By EyeOnAlaska on 03/18/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my used 08 FEH awd for my move back to Alaska. Very disappointed with the mileage I'm getting in a colder climate-averaging 21mpg all- around. Granted, that's ok for an SUV, but certainly doesn't live up to its billing. It very rarely goes into EV mode, and even when it does, the engine won't stay off sitting at a stoplight. This is in temperatures anytime below 20 F. Below 0 F, mpg drops into the mid teens and it sounds like a coffee grinder on steroids until it finally warms up. Almost a must to keep it in a heated garage. You have to be incredibly careful with the gas pedal to not kick it out of EV mode leaving a stoplight.

Bulletproof after 65,000
By peter on 02/13/10 12:27 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Comfortable and quiet, except for the buzzy engine when you accelerate hard. 2 1/2 years old now and flawless. Averaging about 28 overall, about 26 highway and 32 around town. If you're coming from a high-powered vehicle, you may not be happy with the slight lag in acceleration when you need to accelerate hard, but that's the only flaw with the system. I have a light foot; it's supposed to learn how you drive, so maybe those with a heavy foot won't have a lag. 100% trouble free, normal maintenance only, which is not expensive. Rides much better with the Goodyear SR-A tires I put on. OE Continentals were hard as a rock. Great snow car. A very satisfied owner. Thanks Ford.

I feel happy to drive
By hilary on 11/25/09 21:25 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have switched from a Mazda 5 to this car to get a better seating a storage arrangement. I LOVE the fuel efficiency around town and feel great about my choice. Its not as fancy as my mom's Prius with all the electronics, but getting 34 miles to 40 miles a gallon schlepping kids in a big car makes me smile every time I turn the key. I am proud to drive this car!

Not bad...not bad at all.
By Chris on 09/25/09 09:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is not something you are going to want if you are looking for the drive of your life, but if you're looking to have an economical vehicle that looks pretty good, then this is the one for you. I did have a couple proplems with some of the features when I first got my car, but Ford was more than happy to fix those up for me. All in all this is probably on of the best cars I've owned. I enjoy the smill I have every time I fill up my gas tank.

Wish I had my TAHOE Z71 back
By Sandra Kemp on 09/17/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the hybrid solely because of the price of gas; approaching $5/gal. I was driving a Tahoe Z71 that had a 25 gal. tank that I had to fillup every 5-6 days. I came from a Cadillac to a geo. When I accelerate up a hill it sounds like a cheap sewing machine; unbearable. The interior carpet and leatherette seats are cheaply made. I had to brake quickly the other evening and slid sideways. No traction.

Proud owner of a Ford Escape Hybrid
By Bill S. on 06/04/09 21:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid does not only get great mileage for a SUV but also has very low pollution emissions. I like the styling and don't feel I compromised on any factors when I bought it. I have kept a spreadsheet of actual mileage and have maintained an overall 31 mpg. The worst case mileage is log distance highway driving at 70+ mph when my FEH got 28 mpg. Around town and using hypermiling techniques I have gotten 35+ mpg.

Pleased with 2008 Escape Hybrid
By George S on 03/17/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this for the boss to replace a mini-van we outgrew. We wanted to downsize but not give up comfort and the ability to haul stuff from time to time. Oh yes, we wanted to use less gas as well. The Escape Hybrid did all these things for us. It gets a consistent 30MPG which certainly meets our expectations. We have not had any trouble with it whatsoever. Frankly, I didn't expect it to be this good but Ford, so far, has exceeded my expectations with regard to reliability. As an engineer, I appreciate and respect this as a technological achievement. The shop manuals for it have been enlightening and entertaining. To the boss it's "push this to go; this to stop". It works for both of us.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.