The perfect vehicle
By kermit on
2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've had my Escape Hybrid now for 2 months and I couldn't think of a better vehicle to own. It is a jack of all trades. I can tow my 15 foot fishing boat, haul the kids and, all our gear, all while getting 30 mpg avg. fuel economy. My wife loves the high seating position; she would rather drive the Escape then her Jaguar. She also likes the fact that it handles more like a car then a suv. Build quality is first rate even though some of the materials are second rate (dash plastic is hard). The engine runs smooth, and the hybrid system is almost transparent (better then all the Toyota Prius I have driven), acceleration is strong up to 70mph (it will outrun a 200 hp v6 Escape to 50 mph).
Favorite Features
The hybrid drive system is as smooth as it gets, both Honda and Toyota should take notes. The least hybrid like hybrid. The transition from electrical power to gas power is seamless. I also average 30mpg, best tank was 34mpg worst tank 27mpg (towing a boat).
Suggested Improvements
The dash plastics look and feel cheap, the navigation system screen is too small, and the navigation software is stored on cds not dvds (I have heard all these concerns will be addressed in the redesign for 08).