Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Nice size and economy too
By BKS

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car gets decent mileage, about 27 to 29 mpg in realistic driving. Could use some repositioning of buttons, e.g., seat warmers not on center console but on side of seat. Beware of the "tax credit" - it deflates on a ratio to income. My $2600 ended up being $159; the economy is still there but caution on the credit sliding scale. Overall, a great car!

Favorite Features

Mileage, size and fund to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Button placement, no aux. for satellite radio of input for iPod.

Escape to a Minnesota Winter
By Minnesota Mark

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the Escape Hybrid AWD for two reasons - exhaust emissions and fuel economy. I will assume the emissions are meeting my expectations. The fuel economy? Nowhere near the ratings of 33/29 for city/highway. During this mild Minnesota winter I am only getting around 23 mpg. Granted itís better than the 16 mpg I got in the winter with my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ, but the Hybrid is much less of a vehicle than the Trailblazer. I will say that the Escape with its front-wheel drive tracks better in snow than the Trailblazer. For my first hybrid vehicle the Escape is adequate.

Favorite Features

The navigation system has come in handy on a couple of occasions, although some of its recommended routes leave a lot to be desired - adding an extra 50 miles to a 100 mile trip.

Suggested Improvements

I was misled to believe the Escape Hybrid had daytime running lamps. It does not. Other features I would like to see added: outdoor thermometer, auto dimming rear view mirror, radio controls for electronic devices, e.g., garage door opener, better placement of seat heater control.

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD w/ leather and navigation
By keremnathan

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just purchased a new FEH in Houston. We went with the premium package with the silver exterior. Overall, it looks great inside and out. The ride is comfortable, great at handling the uneven and unpredictable city streets. I wouldn't recommend it for off-road use or for towing. We traded in a 2.8L Audi A4 which was a great drivers car, very difficult to accelerate modestly. The FEH actually encourages the driver to accelerate and brake slowly to keep the gas engine off and reduce fuel consumption. Overall, our initial impression has been positive.

Favorite Features

Obviously the electric motor and regenerative braking. We both find the interior roomy and comfortable. The rear bench seat folds down easily to provide a great deal of cargo room. Fits the city life almost perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

All are small problems. No auxiliary input jack available. No exterior temperature reading in the display. 6-disc changer only shuffles on a single disc, not among all discs. No trailer hitch for a bike rack. Navigation system requires one of 12 region discs to be in at all times.

Better than expected
By D. Wilson

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this car for over four months now and it has outperformed my expectations. Gas mileage is at 29.6, and I drive all highway miles. It handles like a foreign car, is incredibly smooth, and looks sharp (appearance package). Acceleration leaves something to be desired, but I find myself driving in a safer, more fuel efficient manner when the ability to peel off the line is no longer an option. All in all this car has performed far better than I anticipated.

Favorite Features

Appearance package greatly improved the look. Tremendous handling and turn radius. Gas mileage is better than advertised.

Suggested Improvements

If there is a way to improve acceleration from a complete stop in a hybrid (and I'm not even sure there is), that would be the only change to make this drive identical to that of a gasoline-powered vehicle.

Hybrid Rocks
By Nan

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The surprise is how nimble footed and energetic the Ford Escape is. I considered the import name brands but canvassed coworkers and found a lot of the engineers at the lab had opted for the Escape so I took it for a test drive. The model I got comes loaded and I have no regrets!

Favorite Features

For my model, the fog lights, six CD changer, and moon roof are standard, as are leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Choice of colors is a bit limited. I would have liked a pearlized white.