Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great mileage from an SUV
By BikerDan

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this to replace a '95 Grand Cherokee and an '04 Grand Prix. Mileage has varied from 26mpg freeway to 33mpg city. Power from a stop is a little weak. Passing power is very capable. Ride is a little bouncy. Handling is a little unstable above 70mph. Below that, it's acceptable for an SUV. Cabin is a little noisy, but no worse than the Grand Prix. Headroom/legroom in both front and back are good. I'm 6'2" and even with the moonroof I still have headroom. 4 wheel disc brakes are very good, but have an odd, nonlinear feel to them. Any doubts about it? Ask for a 24- hour test drive. One day of commuting with it sold me on the Ford Escape Hybrid!

Favorite Features

With gas approaching $3.50/gal here in San Diego, it's almost fun to visit the gas station. Hybrid power status screen and 15 minute running mileage graph let you track how your driving habits affect your mileage. Car doesn't heat up the garage. Holds more cargo than my old Grand Cherokee did.

Suggested Improvements

Move heated seat buttons so the switch and LED are visible. Add a place to store a cell phone and garage door transmitter. Ship NAV system with up-to-date CDs. 2007 model ships with 2005 NAV CDs. Put a light in the glove box. Design open body rear head restraints to improve visibility.

Save gas, save planet and looking good too
By 4Mom 2go

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer for '07 Escape hybrid. I doubled my mileage. Love the NAV system and real time gas mileage gauge. Keeps me from being a lead foot. Avg 31 mpg in mixed driving. The key is no rabbit starts and using less brake and more coasting to get to a red light I like exterior of '07, but the interior of the '08. Buttons and gauges are placed better in the '08. Also '08 has better nooks for interior storage. But'exterior styling of the '07 is more to my taste. The '08 exterior seems like a throwback to the late '90s Explorers, especially with its grille. Overall very pleased with my purchase, including the mpg and acceleration.

Favorite Features

NAV system and real time mpg gauge. Love the purr of the electric engine. Every time I hear it I know that I am saving money at the gas pump.

Suggested Improvements

Better nooks for storage in the interior. Move the heated seats button to the dash. Get rid of the under seat mounted CD changer. Ford did all this in the '08, but then the ruined the exterior with the new front grille.

Fun to drive, worth every penny
By Rob

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this Escape Hybrid a couple weeks ago. Not only is it fun to drive, the mileage more than makes up for the slightly higher price. I get about 30 mpg, but mpg probably depends on how you drive. Faster acceleration means less battery use and lower mpg (my wife used it for a couple days and the onboard calculator showed 27.7 mpg). I have the FWD, so if you get 4WD, expect lower mileage. With the $2,600 tax credit, the hybrid only costs a little more than the 18 to 20 mpg regular Escape.

Favorite Features

Best fuel economy of any SUV out there. Plenty of interior room, fun to drive, and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down front passenger seat to provide more cargo room. Having a longer warranty period would be nice too.

Terrible fuel mileage
By GI JOE

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I average 21 mpg with a best of 24.3. I brought the SUV into Ford and they claim it gets 31.3mpg. I had an independent garage test it and it was 21 mpg. I checked it manually, and the on board PC fuel is on the money, 21 mpg. I have the AWD model and no matter what I do or how much I baby it I cannot get better than 24.3. The engine runs if any accessories are on. The engine also kicks in after 25 mph and right away if any upgrade. Overall I like the Escape hybrid, but I feel cheated after paying an extra $12,000 to be green. Figure 20% less mileage off EPA listing and the nav stinks. Maybe Ford should see what Toyota is offering. I own 2 new Fords but don't think I will again.

Favorite Features

Easy to handle, drives well, comfortable and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

A better NAV system, cd player w/NAV under seat issues. Meter to see battery charge. Better engine performance and most of all better fuel mileage! An auto power up window button.

Happy Hybrid
By gpcpilot

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love my new '07 Escape Hybrid. The "Refire" metallica paint virtually glows, catches admiring looks from folks and doesn't show dirt too readily. I do quite a bit of highway and mixed driving. I'm currently getting about 31.8 mpg, which I'm ecstatic about. That's twice the mileage I got from my 2001 V6 Ranger, the Escape replaced. The trucklette is roomy, pretty comfortable and fairly peppy. I see a long relationship with this little SUV.

Favorite Features

Love how smooth the transmission (CVT) is and how quiet the drivetrain is in most conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Drive-by-wire brakes need better feel and more linearity in action. Radio is okay, but my Ranger's base system sounded better than the Escape's upgraded (not Premium) version. Also radio lacks RDS feature.