Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

First hybrid
By TeichRA

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle works as advertised. I find the mileage is a touch better than shown on the sticker.

Favorite Features

Regenerative breaking.

Suggested Improvements

The electric motor needs a bit more oomph off the line

1st American Car in 25 years and I'm Happy
By GuitarGuy

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the Escape for 2 weeks and it's performing as advertised. I got over 30mpg on the first tank of gas, and that will improve. The 15 minute MPG gauge has shown as high as 37mpg. If I were to complain about performance it would be the body roll when cornering, but this is a SUV with a high center of gravity and a little body roll is to be expected. The GPS/radio is disappointing. Small screen, and the CD changer is under the seat. Sound quality is average, and no iPod connection. It does otherwise work properly. If GPS/radio is important to you, might wait to see the 2008 upgrade. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but Ford could do better. Improve this and its a 10.

Favorite Features

MPG; low pollution, large tax credit, solid feel; lots of storage; acceptable acceleration considering the engine size, and actually quick at start up; kind of fun to change your driving habits and watch the MPG increase, the real-time MPG gauge on the GPS will make you a better driver.

Suggested Improvements

Dang Ford, for the price of the GPS/radio you could have done a lot better. For $1900, give us a Bose, an iPod connection, and a decent sized screen for the DVD based GPS. Nobody has an under seat CD changer anymore. Relatively simple things like this are what sells cars for the Japanese.

Lower then expected mpg
By Dave

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I liked the interior & exterior design and wanted to do the right 'green' thing so I spent the extra dollars on the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. Now I'm extremely disappointed with the 21 mpg city driving it provides. Certainly not the 33 mpg advertised. I drain the little 15 gallon tank in no time. It stinks.

Favorite Features

The looks & 4X4.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage!

Nice size and economy too
By BKS

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car gets decent mileage, about 27 to 29 mpg in realistic driving. Could use some repositioning of buttons, e.g., seat warmers not on center console but on side of seat. Beware of the "tax credit" - it deflates on a ratio to income. My $2600 ended up being $159; the economy is still there but caution on the credit sliding scale. Overall, a great car!

Favorite Features

Mileage, size and fund to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Button placement, no aux. for satellite radio of input for iPod.

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD w/ leather and navigation
By keremnathan

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just purchased a new FEH in Houston. We went with the premium package with the silver exterior. Overall, it looks great inside and out. The ride is comfortable, great at handling the uneven and unpredictable city streets. I wouldn't recommend it for off-road use or for towing. We traded in a 2.8L Audi A4 which was a great drivers car, very difficult to accelerate modestly. The FEH actually encourages the driver to accelerate and brake slowly to keep the gas engine off and reduce fuel consumption. Overall, our initial impression has been positive.

Favorite Features

Obviously the electric motor and regenerative braking. We both find the interior roomy and comfortable. The rear bench seat folds down easily to provide a great deal of cargo room. Fits the city life almost perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

All are small problems. No auxiliary input jack available. No exterior temperature reading in the display. 6-disc changer only shuffles on a single disc, not among all discs. No trailer hitch for a bike rack. Navigation system requires one of 12 region discs to be in at all times.