Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great mileage from an SUV
By BikerDan

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this to replace a '95 Grand Cherokee and an '04 Grand Prix. Mileage has varied from 26mpg freeway to 33mpg city. Power from a stop is a little weak. Passing power is very capable. Ride is a little bouncy. Handling is a little unstable above 70mph. Below that, it's acceptable for an SUV. Cabin is a little noisy, but no worse than the Grand Prix. Headroom/legroom in both front and back are good. I'm 6'2" and even with the moonroof I still have headroom. 4 wheel disc brakes are very good, but have an odd, nonlinear feel to them. Any doubts about it? Ask for a 24- hour test drive. One day of commuting with it sold me on the Ford Escape Hybrid!

Favorite Features

With gas approaching $3.50/gal here in San Diego, it's almost fun to visit the gas station. Hybrid power status screen and 15 minute running mileage graph let you track how your driving habits affect your mileage. Car doesn't heat up the garage. Holds more cargo than my old Grand Cherokee did.

Suggested Improvements

Move heated seat buttons so the switch and LED are visible. Add a place to store a cell phone and garage door transmitter. Ship NAV system with up-to-date CDs. 2007 model ships with 2005 NAV CDs. Put a light in the glove box. Design open body rear head restraints to improve visibility.

Save gas, save planet and looking good too
By 4Mom 2go

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer for '07 Escape hybrid. I doubled my mileage. Love the NAV system and real time gas mileage gauge. Keeps me from being a lead foot. Avg 31 mpg in mixed driving. The key is no rabbit starts and using less brake and more coasting to get to a red light I like exterior of '07, but the interior of the '08. Buttons and gauges are placed better in the '08. Also '08 has better nooks for interior storage. But'exterior styling of the '07 is more to my taste. The '08 exterior seems like a throwback to the late '90s Explorers, especially with its grille. Overall very pleased with my purchase, including the mpg and acceleration.

Favorite Features

NAV system and real time mpg gauge. Love the purr of the electric engine. Every time I hear it I know that I am saving money at the gas pump.

Suggested Improvements

Better nooks for storage in the interior. Move the heated seats button to the dash. Get rid of the under seat mounted CD changer. Ford did all this in the '08, but then the ruined the exterior with the new front grille.

Fun to drive, worth every penny
By Rob

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this Escape Hybrid a couple weeks ago. Not only is it fun to drive, the mileage more than makes up for the slightly higher price. I get about 30 mpg, but mpg probably depends on how you drive. Faster acceleration means less battery use and lower mpg (my wife used it for a couple days and the onboard calculator showed 27.7 mpg). I have the FWD, so if you get 4WD, expect lower mileage. With the $2,600 tax credit, the hybrid only costs a little more than the 18 to 20 mpg regular Escape.

Favorite Features

Best fuel economy of any SUV out there. Plenty of interior room, fun to drive, and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down front passenger seat to provide more cargo room. Having a longer warranty period would be nice too.

Happy Hybrid
By gpcpilot

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love my new '07 Escape Hybrid. The "Refire" metallica paint virtually glows, catches admiring looks from folks and doesn't show dirt too readily. I do quite a bit of highway and mixed driving. I'm currently getting about 31.8 mpg, which I'm ecstatic about. That's twice the mileage I got from my 2001 V6 Ranger, the Escape replaced. The trucklette is roomy, pretty comfortable and fairly peppy. I see a long relationship with this little SUV.

Favorite Features

Love how smooth the transmission (CVT) is and how quiet the drivetrain is in most conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Drive-by-wire brakes need better feel and more linearity in action. Radio is okay, but my Ranger's base system sounded better than the Escape's upgraded (not Premium) version. Also radio lacks RDS feature.

Great Value
By HLS

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun to drive. Handles well. Quick steering response. Adequate acceleration from a stop. Excellent acceleration for passing. Driving a lot of highway miles and still averaging 29. Have seen 33 in city driving. They could have done a better job on front seat creature comforts, i.e. cup holders, change holders and sun glass holder. Safety features were a consideration in buying. Road noise is a little loud but not terrible. Overall a great buy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cup holders. Impossible to put 2 large drinks in them without keeping the arm rest open. Coin holder is worthless for anything but quarters.