Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Have You Experienced This?
By petsitter711

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid in Sept. of 2010 with 30K miles.
Have driven it 90 days now, and lately, I "feel" more of a surge when I brake and/or accelerate and it changes from the electric mode to the gas.
It didn't seem like I "felt" that surge before.
Took it to the dealer (unfortunately I ended up purchasing it from a Toyota dealership, not a Ford), and they said that the computer indicated there was nothing wrong with it.
Hummm, I don't believe them?!!
Any thoughts on this? Also, my gas mileage went down from 34 mpg city when I first purchased it to 28 mpg city now.
I live in Illinois if that makes any difference.
Anyone know anything about this?

Good, for a while.
By Joseph Espinoza

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owning a Hybrid Escape was fun during the first 6 months. After that, it started going pretty south fast. The mileage started getting poorer even after its scheduled services, replacing filters, changing tires. The door lock actuator on the driver's side went out. Every once in a while it will work, but in an emergency, your at risk of not being able to get inside your car quick because you have to manually unlock it. Lights on the Gauge Cluster go out sometimes, cant even tell how fast your going at night. 63,000 miles right now, our water pump went out, $1200 for the repair. This car has been a burden on us.

Good gas mileage for an SUV. I can charge my camera with the AC outlet inside! That's about it though. I'd give that up for a warning light to come on when the car overheats instead of it just stopping dead on the highway.

The dash and radio are really low budget. Figure you're spending 30 grand on a hybrid, you should at least get some luxury like an ipod connection. Hybrid Escapes have pretty much the most standard features compared to the XLT. Its pretty much a Mazda tribute with a huge battery.

Almost Perfect, Mileage Is the Winner!
By Northern Lights

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good: 4th year of ownership. No repairs or rattles after 40,000 miles of mixed paved, gravel roads. Outstanding fuel mileage, electric mode at reasonable speeds for a couple of minutes, uses regular gas. Great road view, backup sensors, nimble steering feel, back seat comfort, storage, low wind noise, feels more powerful than it's wee motors add up to. Good 4WD snow handler. Dislikes: VERY bad rear wheel fender flare destroyed by gravel from front tires, paint almost gone there. Goofy CD player under seat. Tiresome on long drives from buzzy engine and "light" feel on higher speed turns. Awkward heated seat switches, hard to find and use. NAV system is ugly and inaccurate. No air temp display

Economy! Road view and drive. Styling, interior space. "Light" 4WD in snow. Well built.

Protect rear wheels metal, move seat switch and CD holder to dash, add air temp guage, replace NAV with 3rd party system.

Ford Quality & Gas Mileage Too
By BPjunkies

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought this car new as it was unloaded from the truck. My wife loves everything about it and wants to trade it in on a new one since they changed the body style. At first we used to just go for drives to see how high we could get the MPG value on the screen. We have seen high 50s for short drives but average in the upper 20s. It provides everything my wife wanted; She sits up high, it is extremely reliable, it gets great gas mileage, and she likes driving it.

If you get the Backup Sensors you will never want another car without them. The MPG Monitor is fun to watch and makes ownership more enjoyable when you see 30s and 40s on the display. Driving a low speeds in stealth mode - all electric.

1. Automatic Heated Seats turn on and off even though we are still wanting more heat. 2. Navigation System is almost worthless. We put our Garmin on the dash. 3. AC turns off when you come to a stop and car gets hot fast in warm weather. 4. Stereo sounds cheap. Rear passengers flooded with bass.

Best of the Best
By Jim Roberts

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a true car person. I have owned way to many new cars over the years and this is truly the best. The first thing to do for gas mileage is to change the air filter to the K&N. Use Mobil 1 oil and my mileage has ran as high as 41MPG when trying. I get a constant 30MPG when my wife drives and that is great. She just drives and does not worry about mileage. She has never gotten any better than 17MPG with any other car that she has had both large and small cars of many makes and models. Thank you Ford for taking a large step for fuel. The others have a lot of catching up to do. Ford rules

Fuel mileage, fun to drive, great styling and a good ride. It's a real head turner. You must also remember that this is not a top of the line luxury car. You are trying to get fuel mileage so forget about all the bells and whistles.

For even better fuel mileage that rated change the air filter to the K&N reusable filter. I also us 0-20 Mobil 1.