2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Have You Experienced This?
By petsitter711 on 01/26/11 17:26 PM (PST)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid in Sept. of 2010 with 30K miles. Have driven it 90 days now, and lately, I "feel" more of a surge when I brake and/or accelerate and it changes from the electric mode to the gas. It didn't seem like I "felt" that surge before. Took it to the dealer (unfortunately I ended up purchasing it from a Toyota dealership, not a Ford), and they said that the computer indicated there was nothing wrong with it. Hummm, I don't believe them?!! Any thoughts on this? Also, my gas mileage went down from 34 mpg city when I first purchased it to 28 mpg city now. I live in Illinois if that makes any difference. Anyone know anything about this?

Good, for a while.
By Joseph Espinoza on 06/08/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owning a Hybrid Escape was fun during the first 6 months. After that, it started going pretty south fast. The mileage started getting poorer even after its scheduled services, replacing filters, changing tires. The door lock actuator on the driver's side went out. Every once in a while it will work, but in an emergency, your at risk of not being able to get inside your car quick because you have to manually unlock it. Lights on the Gauge Cluster go out sometimes, cant even tell how fast your going at night. 63,000 miles right now, our water pump went out, $1200 for the repair. This car has been a burden on us.

Best of the Best
By Jim Roberts on 11/17/08 05:21 AM (PST)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a true car person. I have owned way to many new cars over the years and this is truly the best. The first thing to do for gas mileage is to change the air filter to the K&N. Use Mobil 1 oil and my mileage has ran as high as 41MPG when trying. I get a constant 30MPG when my wife drives and that is great. She just drives and does not worry about mileage. She has never gotten any better than 17MPG with any other car that she has had both large and small cars of many makes and models. Thank you Ford for taking a large step for fuel. The others have a lot of catching up to do. Ford rules

Don't believe the fuel estimate!
By Mark on 10/27/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2007 Hybrid FWD is rated at 36mpg in the city. Don't believe it! Almost all my driving is in the city. I get only 23-24mpg. Even turning the A/C off adds only 1mpg. The Ford dealer said it needed to be driven for 2,000-3,000 miles to be broken in before the mileage would improve. After 5,000 the mileage is still the same. I know you never get the rated mpg, but 30%+ less is fraud!

Crazy if you don't buy one
By 928s4t on 06/08/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am getting 35 miles a gallon, yet I am driving a SUV that is comfortable and looks good. It does not get better than that. I am looking to buy a second (used) Escape. No serious complaints, however, it would be nice if you could add the MP3 option to the factory Navigation/radio setup. The 2008 might be quieter, but I like the looks for the 2007 better.

Great mileage from an SUV
By BikerDan on 05/07/07 17:36 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this to replace a '95 Grand Cherokee and an '04 Grand Prix. Mileage has varied from 26mpg freeway to 33mpg city. Power from a stop is a little weak. Passing power is very capable. Ride is a little bouncy. Handling is a little unstable above 70mph. Below that, it's acceptable for an SUV. Cabin is a little noisy, but no worse than the Grand Prix. Headroom/legroom in both front and back are good. I'm 6'2" and even with the moonroof I still have headroom. 4 wheel disc brakes are very good, but have an odd, nonlinear feel to them. Any doubts about it? Ask for a 24- hour test drive. One day of commuting with it sold me on the Ford Escape Hybrid!

Save gas, save planet and looking good too
By 4Mom 2go on 05/01/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer for '07 Escape hybrid. I doubled my mileage. Love the NAV system and real time gas mileage gauge. Keeps me from being a lead foot. Avg 31 mpg in mixed driving. The key is no rabbit starts and using less brake and more coasting to get to a red light I like exterior of '07, but the interior of the '08. Buttons and gauges are placed better in the '08. Also '08 has better nooks for interior storage. But'exterior styling of the '07 is more to my taste. The '08 exterior seems like a throwback to the late '90s Explorers, especially with its grille. Overall very pleased with my purchase, including the mpg and acceleration.

Fun to drive, worth every penny
By Rob on 05/01/07 11:47 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this Escape Hybrid a couple weeks ago. Not only is it fun to drive, the mileage more than makes up for the slightly higher price. I get about 30 mpg, but mpg probably depends on how you drive. Faster acceleration means less battery use and lower mpg (my wife used it for a couple days and the onboard calculator showed 27.7 mpg). I have the FWD, so if you get 4WD, expect lower mileage. With the $2,600 tax credit, the hybrid only costs a little more than the 18 to 20 mpg regular Escape.

Happy Hybrid
By gpcpilot on 04/04/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love my new '07 Escape Hybrid. The "Refire" metallica paint virtually glows, catches admiring looks from folks and doesn't show dirt too readily. I do quite a bit of highway and mixed driving. I'm currently getting about 31.8 mpg, which I'm ecstatic about. That's twice the mileage I got from my 2001 V6 Ranger, the Escape replaced. The trucklette is roomy, pretty comfortable and fairly peppy. I see a long relationship with this little SUV.

Great Value
By HLS on 03/17/07 08:05 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun to drive. Handles well. Quick steering response. Adequate acceleration from a stop. Excellent acceleration for passing. Driving a lot of highway miles and still averaging 29. Have seen 33 in city driving. They could have done a better job on front seat creature comforts, i.e. cup holders, change holders and sun glass holder. Safety features were a consideration in buying. Road noise is a little loud but not terrible. Overall a great buy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.