Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Have You Experienced This?
By petsitter711

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid in Sept. of 2010 with 30K miles. Have driven it 90 days now, and lately, I "feel" more of a surge when I brake and/or accelerate and it changes from the electric mode to the gas. It didn't seem like I "felt" that surge before. Took it to the dealer (unfortunately I ended up purchasing it from a Toyota dealership, not a Ford), and they said that the computer indicated there was nothing wrong with it. Hummm, I don't believe them?!! Any thoughts on this? Also, my gas mileage went down from 34 mpg city when I first purchased it to 28 mpg city now. I live in Illinois if that makes any difference. Anyone know anything about this?

Good, for a while.
By Joseph Espinoza

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owning a Hybrid Escape was fun during the first 6 months. After that, it started going pretty south fast. The mileage started getting poorer even after its scheduled services, replacing filters, changing tires. The door lock actuator on the driver's side went out. Every once in a while it will work, but in an emergency, your at risk of not being able to get inside your car quick because you have to manually unlock it. Lights on the Gauge Cluster go out sometimes, cant even tell how fast your going at night. 63,000 miles right now, our water pump went out, $1200 for the repair. This car has been a burden on us.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage for an SUV. I can charge my camera with the AC outlet inside! That's about it though. I'd give that up for a warning light to come on when the car overheats instead of it just stopping dead on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

The dash and radio are really low budget. Figure you're spending 30 grand on a hybrid, you should at least get some luxury like an ipod connection. Hybrid Escapes have pretty much the most standard features compared to the XLT. Its pretty much a Mazda tribute with a huge battery.

Best of the Best
By Jim Roberts

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a true car person. I have owned way to many new cars over the years and this is truly the best. The first thing to do for gas mileage is to change the air filter to the K&N. Use Mobil 1 oil and my mileage has ran as high as 41MPG when trying. I get a constant 30MPG when my wife drives and that is great. She just drives and does not worry about mileage. She has never gotten any better than 17MPG with any other car that she has had both large and small cars of many makes and models. Thank you Ford for taking a large step for fuel. The others have a lot of catching up to do. Ford rules

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, fun to drive, great styling and a good ride. It's a real head turner. You must also remember that this is not a top of the line luxury car. You are trying to get fuel mileage so forget about all the bells and whistles.

Suggested Improvements

For even better fuel mileage that rated change the air filter to the K&N reusable filter. I also us 0-20 Mobil 1.

Don't believe the fuel estimate!
By Mark

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2007 Hybrid FWD is rated at 36mpg in the city. Don't believe it! Almost all my driving is in the city. I get only 23-24mpg. Even turning the A/C off adds only 1mpg. The Ford dealer said it needed to be driven for 2,000-3,000 miles to be broken in before the mileage would improve. After 5,000 the mileage is still the same. I know you never get the rated mpg, but 30%+ less is fraud!

Favorite Features

Rear window opens.

Suggested Improvements

More interior holders, including cell phone and trash container.

Crazy if you don't buy one
By 928s4t

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am getting 35 miles a gallon, yet I am driving a SUV that is comfortable and looks good. It does not get better than that. I am looking to buy a second (used) Escape. No serious complaints, however, it would be nice if you could add the MP3 option to the factory Navigation/radio setup. The 2008 might be quieter, but I like the looks for the 2007 better.

Favorite Features

Great mileage

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if you could add the MP3 option to the factory Navigation/radio setup.