Who wouldn't buy this
By Mike on
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Getting just under 36 mpg average so far. I can't believe that a car this ample gets better mileage than my Chevy Prism (a.k.a. Toyota Corolla). I actually feel sorry for most car owners when I look around parking lots. One nice trick that I have learned is riding the brakes a little when descending a hill. Keeping the car under 40mph will keep the IC off and you're charging up the battery at the same time. With the federal tax credits and PA state rebate, the car doesn't cost any more than a regular Escape. I was able to get the supplier X discount, which was about invoice for the car. It's better, it's cheaper to own and it costs the same as a regular Escape. Who wouldn't buy this?
Favorite Features
The mileage -- the best run that I have had so far is 44.1 mpg and I'm starting to get into developing high mpg driving habits. It's a whole new dimension in driving skills that I was never able to explore until now. Every new record is a rush.
Suggested Improvements
A plug-in option would be nice. I would also like a way to command the car to turn off the IC -- tapping the breaks to trick the power management system is a little hokey. It is also a drag that you need to drive a bit before the IC will turn off at all, so short trips are a little inefficient.