The Quiet SUV
By Bobby J. on
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Traded in my 4WD pick-up that got 15 mpg. Wanted to get this vehicle last winter, but there was no real availability in my area at that time. I have had it for a month and have driven about 2,500 miles and overall I am very pleased. I have averaged 30 mpg for all types of driving. I had to install a back-up alarm because when this vehicle is operating on electric you can't hear anything but the tires moving. I didn't get much for options because I have a Garmin Street Pilot GPS system. I take the vehicle out on backwoods roads to take me to hiking locations and it is a bit weird to roll along with no engine noise. People often stop to inquire about it and I'm always glad to inform them.
Favorite Features
Message system is informative. Seats are comfortable. Pickup, when you need extra acceleration, with the combined effort of the gas and electric engine is impressive. The safety package with side curtain airbags and seat deployed airbags is an excellent option to have.
Suggested Improvements
Rear cargo area carpet won't stay down when you need to slide heavy objects in or out of the cargo area. A Gentex style auto-dimming mirror with compass/temp and a maplight would have been a great addition.