Some Good; some bad
By smokingpizza on
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Moved from an Eddie Bauer Expedition to a fully loaded Escape Hybrid. Ford understands large people (I'm 6'4" 300 lbs) and the Escape is comfortable. Mileage is good, but not as good as expected. Ranging 25-28 mpg. Performance with the boost from the electric motor is good, but the CVT takes some getting used to; it revs motor much higher than I'm used to on acceleration and engine whine is loud. Handles well for an SUV. Things I had on the Expedition that I miss more than I thought I would: temp control air/heat, exterior keypad on door, memory seats/mirrors/pedals, and storage room. Probably would not buy again for reasons stated under suggested improvements.
Favorite Features
Comfortable seat; good economy and handles well for an SUV; love the GPS system (although screen is really, really small) but it seems to get off track more often than it should.
Suggested Improvements
$34K vehicle and no outside temp gauge. Round bezel on dash gauges is polished chrome and will blind you when the sun hits it. Electrical system has had multiple problems; make sure your dealer is trained on the hybrid; air conditioner doesn't work when on electric; makes hybrid mode useless in hot weather.