2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - So Far to Go, So

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

So Far to Go, So Little Gas
By Peter on

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Escape is still very new, and still delights me. I bought it for its fuel economy, size, and greenness. Fuel economy was rated at 33 city, 29 highway. Highway and city combined have averaged well over 33 with the majority being highway miles. I lose about 2 tenths of a mile when starting out cold in the morning and evening after work. I then make that up if I can drive far enough. Economy when cold is awful. The engine runs until the engine is warm and the battery is fully charged. At that point the fun begins to see how long I can keep it running on electric alone. Kind of challenging but for a vehicle that weighs 4750 pounds it's great.

Favorite Features

AC is excellent. Continuously variable transmission is an interesting feel. Takes some getting used to when you watch the tachometer go from 1500 to 4500 RPM and your speed stays constant.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to let the seat go back further and the steering wheel extend backward a little more. I'm old and my legs are not flexible enough to go very far without some serious pain.