2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Review: I love my hybrid and here's wh

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Review

I love my hybrid and here's why
By spacefan on

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, if you have the fuel/electric usage interface for the navigation system you know what your mileage is and can adjust your driving style. Second, the system provides an average miles per gallon, not the actual miles per gallon. Third, check your tire pressure every two weeks to ensure proper inflation--it is amazing what effect properly inflated tires have on gas mileage. Fourth, with the exception of a recall on the electronics for the big battery (and the need to replace the big battery), this vehicle has been wonderfully reliable even in really cold weather (keep in mind the battery starts the engine). Lastly, during the worst of the gas crisis I was smiling all the way to the bank!

Love having an actual electric outlet in the car--don't need the car lighter adapter chargers for my cell phone.

Needs better fit and finish for the back storage area--carpet did not fit neatly. Also, there is no temperature indicator on the navigation screen--I miss not knowing how bloody cold or hot it really is outside. Last, need to provide actual miles per gallon not the average.