2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Review: Good Hybrid, but Room for Impr

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Review

Good Hybrid, but Room for Improvement
By Vince Fredrick on

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my 2001 Prius for a bit more room and to get "up" above the traffic a bit. Found the Escape to be a pretty good replacement (though about 15 mpg lower than the Prius). The Escape performs beautifully and rides well. I do feel a bit let down by the interior though. I got the Premium Package (recommended) to at least get some comfort items, but it is a far cry from the interior on my Eddie Bauer Expedition as far as useful design and layout. Doesn't have adequate storage for misc items in the driver area -- just the arm console.

I really like the backup sensor on the Premium Package. Nav System is great, though the screen is small and is not a touch screen (like in the Prius). Very attractive paint. LOVE the 110 volt outlet.

Rear cargo carpet is a joke, comes loose all the time. Outdoor temperature indicator is a must! Heated seats come on by accident too easily (just climbing in), not needed in the Houston heat. Larger/touch screen LCD (like in the Prius) would be welcomed. MP3 player input jack for radio.