2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Good Buy, Good SUV

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Review

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good Buy, Good SUV
By geobf on

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

4,000 miles in less than three months, very happy with it. Wanted a replacement for my Explorer with better fuel economy/greener. Made the move just before gas prices went nuts, found that some Houston dealers had them on the lots. Bought one with leather seats; my wife liked the ride despite the leather. Very happy with performance, just short of 30 MPG despite mostly highway miles. The A/C not running under battery is a pain, but the gas engine only stays off for more than a couple miles if you are in very slow traffic. Challenging to get above 20 MPH on the electric motor, requires a subtle touch on the pedal. Safety package/side airbags a pleasant surprise.

Favorite Features

Lots of headroom for my 6'2" wife and 6'4" carpooler. Uh, the mileage! A SUV I don't feel guilty to drive. Fun to drive, not real macho but ++ geek factor. Decent clearance on 16 inch tires. Feels very safe with safety package. A/C adapter eliminates need for car charger. Performs very well.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the center console shifter and emergency brake, move them to column/floor. Electric A/C compressor. Rear A/C vents. Slightly longer center arm rest. Seats as deep as my Explorer. A/C outlet takes up good spots for phones/iPods/etc.