Escape to hybrid SUV'ing!
By rgg on
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I had a 2001 Escape V6 AWD. Great car, but gas mileage was not very good. The Escape AWD gets a consistent 28mpg on the highway (that's at 60-80 mph with the a/c on), and about 24 mpg in town, with a full load. (No hybrid ever gets the advertised EPA mileage in town). Performance? Only imperceptibly less than the V6 gave me. Punching the gas and bringing in an extra 40hp from the electric motor lets me pass anyone on the highway. Some people tell me, "sure, you get great mileage, but is it worth the difference in price?" Yes. The difference is tax-deductible, and with gas costing $2.50/gallon, I'll be ahead soon. Also, I'm reducing our nation's reliance on questionable oil suppliers.
Favorite Features
Great gas mileage, lots of room to carry things, and very comfortable, too. It does everything one could want from a motor vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
The screen for the navigation system could be larger, and the GPS antenna needs to be "outside" rather than under the windshield. It would be nice to have a temperature gauge (sacrificed in favor of the battery boost/charge gauge), but then I haven't had a car overheat in 15 years.