Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Thrives in Traffic
By R. Lee

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid thrives best in traffic driving, no matter where it is. Open highway gas mileage a bit lower than expected, yet better than any other comparable SUVs in its class. Want to buy the 2008 because it looks even "beefier" outside. Only complaint: rear trunk carpet does not hold well, slide furniture or a heavy box into the back and the carpet slides with it exposing the 330amp battery.

Navigation, instrumentation, plug outlet, fold down accomodates my 2 dogs very well.

Secure the rear trunk carpet so it won't slide around.

Best fun to drive SUV
By Alan Kornweiss

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first SUV I've ever owned and I'm very glad that I bought this one. It's fun to drive and the gas mileage is terrific,which is why I purchased it. I drive about 80 miles a day back and forth to work and the realibility has been great. I change the oil about every 8,000 miles and use synthetic oil as the factory reeommends. It has proven to be a great vehicle for me. I did a lot of research before purchasing this vehicle and when I read that it has Toyota technology that made my decision even easier. My last car was a Toyota Camry and it was the best car I had ever owned. If you want a fun to drive SUV I recommend this one. Great!

Great driving in the snow and on the beach too with the 4 wheel drive. Very peppy for a hybrid SUV. I really love driving this vehicle. I recommend this SUV to anyone who wants to drive a fun and reliable vehicle with great gas mileage.

I can't really find any fault with this SUV. I has pretty much everything you need for a compact SUV. The cargo area is very spacious even with the large battery that's under the carpet in the cargo area.

Sales
By Sales

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Anyone in the outside sales industry should think about getting this vehicle. You get 32 MPG in the city and about 29 MPG on the highway. I lug about 300 pounds of catalogs a day and still get this type of MPG. The price tag is the only problem with it over $25K if you factor that in you might want to think twice.

Fuel economy, Interior space, Fog lights, AWD Handles fantastic in the snow.

Price! Way too expensive!!

Hybrid? Yeah right!
By Mike

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gas mileage is VERY disappointing! The car has been in over 10 times for various issues. The shocks were replaced at 4,000 miles. The car needed a full alignment at 4,500 miles. I have another appointment tomorrow to investigate the terrible gas mileage, noises when turning, gas fume smells and the infamous 'clicking' noise in the rear has appeared again. If you are looking for an Escape - go for it! Just do NOT get the Hybrid! I had a regular Escape when they first came out and was great. Ford just doesn't have this down yet.

Great size for 5 adults and the leather seats are comfortable.

MILEAGE, Ford "Quality"- I think Ford needs to come up with a better motto or stand by it.

GREAT BUT...
By RickeyBee

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the way the Hybrid drives; the 2 wheel drive gets super mileage (30+ city and highway). The visibility, acceleration, and handling are good. The quality of materials, particularly in the interior, is not. The rear storage area carpet is constantly coming loose. It covers the batteries and must be moved for maintenance. Unfortunately, it is not attached down by anything...not even Velcro. So whenever I slide a box into the back the carpet pulls up. The quality of the carpet is also not good; it is already looking shabby after only 9 months. I wore a hole in the floor mat within 30 days (not covered by warranty). The speedometer has very poor lighting and is hard to read at night.

Gas mileage, acceleration, handling.

Better quality carpet, better lighting on instrument cluster and especially speedometer, need method to tie the carpet down in the storage area.