Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

GREAT BUT...
By RickeyBee

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the way the Hybrid drives; the 2 wheel drive gets super mileage (30+ city and highway). The visibility, acceleration, and handling are good. The quality of materials, particularly in the interior, is not. The rear storage area carpet is constantly coming loose. It covers the batteries and must be moved for maintenance. Unfortunately, it is not attached down by anything...not even Velcro. So whenever I slide a box into the back the carpet pulls up. The quality of the carpet is also not good; it is already looking shabby after only 9 months. I wore a hole in the floor mat within 30 days (not covered by warranty). The speedometer has very poor lighting and is hard to read at night.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality carpet, better lighting on instrument cluster and especially speedometer, need method to tie the carpet down in the storage area.

Really disappointed
By Barb Lovell

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

SORRY I got it. Noisy, poor dash lights, minimal defrost and heating in north, faulty disc player, electric glitch (lost power steering 3 times), and mileage OVER ESTIMATED! At best I get 27 miles at 40 mph. Also because I wanted leather seats, I had to buy GPS which was not needed, It was part of the package offered.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lighting, heating/defrost, better/honest mileage, quieter interior.

Suprise!
By Charlie Ca$h

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really enjoy my hybrid. I got it for my wife to go to work and to run my kid around Atlanta. We have saved a great deal of money on gas. Now we challenge each other on who can get the best gas mileage. The tax credit is also great! Plus we got the zero percent interest rate from Ford.

Favorite Features

Gas savings, power, getting 450 miles before a 12 gallon fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Outside temp gauge.

2006 Ford Escape
By Pete Hunt

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gas mileage is not as great as expected but my previous Ford was an F-150 (V-8) so it was an improvement in the pockets.

Favorite Features

The fact that I can drive without gas for short periods of time.

Suggested Improvements

None, looks like the follow up Escape has covered most of the exterior looks.

Couldn't be happier
By wildtexas

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle is fun to drive and provides superb gas mileage for a small size SUV -- better than even the 1992 Toyota Corolla it replaced in our family. We have a premium, fully-loaded Ford Escape Hybrid with moonroof, leather seats and the GPS Nav, and we couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is our #1 favorite "feature" of the FEH, and a major reason we purchased this vehicle, as is its small SUV profile -- ample room over a sedan, without the behemoth nature (and paltry fuel economy) of a larger SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the leather seats could be slightly better, more like our 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew, but we were aware going into this that the Escape (including the Escape Hybrid) are more of an "economy" vehicle than the fully loaded F-150. The GPS Nav could be a lot better, for the price, as well