2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
So Far to Go, So Little Gas
By Peter on 10/03/06 11:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Escape is still very new, and still delights me. I bought it for its fuel economy, size, and greenness. Fuel economy was rated at 33 city, 29 highway. Highway and city combined have averaged well over 33 with the majority being highway miles. I lose about 2 tenths of a mile when starting out cold in the morning and evening after work. I then make that up if I can drive far enough. Economy when cold is awful. The engine runs until the engine is warm and the battery is fully charged. At that point the fun begins to see how long I can keep it running on electric alone. Kind of challenging but for a vehicle that weighs 4750 pounds it's great.

BILL'S HYBRID ESCAPE
By Bill in Georgetown on 09/18/06 09:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

While driving my Escape hybrid 4x4 without A/C on, I was getting 27.4 mpg. Not too bad (for a combination highway/city) I think, however, not close to the 33 mpg as indicated on the sticker. The hybrid has a lot of zip off the line, but I must back off on the gas pedal while the cvt tranny moves up to a higher speed (not a big deal though). It's fun to drive. Parallel parking is a breeze.

This Vehicle Stinks
By kc on 09/14/06 23:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I purchased this Ford Escape I was excited and went out on my ranch and got stuck in 3" of snow on a dirt road. That isn't the only time I got stuck in snow either; 2 more times in parking lots. First time up skiing and the second at a mall where a Cadillac pulled me out of my parking spot. The arm rest on the door of the driver's side is made of plastic; after driving a few days my elbow hurt and I could not figure out why. Then I realized that it was because of this arm rest.

My "Green" Escape
By T on 09/12/06 18:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been wanting a hybrid vehicle for years, but they have always been too small for my needs. The Ford Escape Hybrid is perfect for my life! It's very comfortable, everything is within reach, and it's easy to get in and out. I'm below average height, so this is frequently an issue. There's enough room for everyone and the easy fold flat back seats are great for hauling our rather large dog. I do a lot of driving, so the gas savings is phenomenal, and I found that it performed like a "champ" in snowy weather last winter. As an added bonus, this has turned out to be more fun to drive than any vehicle I've ever owned!

Love this SUV
By ekiehn on 09/03/06 08:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall very pleased with the vehicle. Low maintenance as except for fuel. I spent $29.99 for the first oil change at the recommended 10,000 mile mark and that's it! Mileage is very good for and SUV of this type, averaging 31MPG combined city/hwy (weighted toward city). I know if they they allowed some tweaking of the computer I could be doing better. Worst highway mileage was around 26.4MPG from FL to South Carolina but that was with a car topper, fully loaded vehicle and doing about 10 miles/hour over posted speed limit. :) The vehicle is used for work and play and it is truly superb.

Excellent 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
By Jim on 08/30/06 23:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been achieving 90% mpg that the EPA rates for the Escape Hybrid in city driving. The area I live in has many hills and has a variance of speed limits from 20mph to 45mph. I believe that I would achieve or better the EPA rating if there were less hills and speed limits of 30mph or lower. I also drove 1500 miles on a trip and average around 29-30 mpg and that included mountain driving in Tennessee and North Carolina. So far I am really pleased with the Ford Escape Hybrid.

Mariner Hybrid
By Bob on 08/22/06 05:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the 4WD Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I find it to be just a little nicer looking than the Escape. It is the same platform and averages 30 MPG. I now have 7K and no problems at all. It fits my family with 2 car seats in the back & still room for shopping or luggage in the back. Also it has front, side & roof air bags. These are great in the snow. As a pick up truck owner all my life I was quickly able to adjust to this little SUV.

Some Good; some bad
By smokingpizza on 08/19/06 09:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Moved from an Eddie Bauer Expedition to a fully loaded Escape Hybrid. Ford understands large people (I'm 6'4" 300 lbs) and the Escape is comfortable. Mileage is good, but not as good as expected. Ranging 25-28 mpg. Performance with the boost from the electric motor is good, but the CVT takes some getting used to; it revs motor much higher than I'm used to on acceleration and engine whine is loud. Handles well for an SUV. Things I had on the Expedition that I miss more than I thought I would: temp control air/heat, exterior keypad on door, memory seats/mirrors/pedals, and storage room. Probably would not buy again for reasons stated under suggested improvements.

fully loaded Escape
By robert on 08/13/06 22:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Moving the seats around to allow more cargo space is a pain; other than that it's a nice vehicle.

Excellent Vehicle
By Rich Arnold on 08/13/06 13:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our vehicle has so far performed as advertised. We've gotten acceptable MPG though it is very dependent on driver habits. In order to exclusively use the electric motor, you must gently accelerate from a stop. This of course is difficult if you find yourself in front of traffic. The quality, ride, and features are great.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.