Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Mine lost it's breaks 4 times
By IHATEFORD

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My escape hybrid has had complete break failure 4 time in two years and 3 times in 3 weeks. Ford can't figure out what the problem is. They replaced the master breaking cylinder and while road testing the car, the breaks went out on them. Ford headquarters also takes no responsibility for the breaks and has basically told me I had to deal with the problem. I asked that they put in writing that the car is safe to drive when the repairs are finally done, but they refuse to do that saying it would be fraudulent since Ford doesn't do the repairs, Ford "dealers" do the repairs.

Nice car when it runs

Breaks that work. Cup holders that are next to each other rather than front and back. GPS system that doesn't require changing the disks (only one I've seen that works this way).

Not As Expected - Not So Hybrid
By J. Weisner

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a pre-owned thinking most problems been solved. There still are, the infamous squeaks at the battery area, loose and squeaky front airbag. Consumption is great below 30mph, not at the hiway. Comfortable ride anyhow. Bad attendance for recalls, not all techs knows about hybrid. Power window switch fails, not just on my Escape but on my Focus as well.

Comfortable ride, looks, good brakes.

Eliminate or suppress squeaks, noise. Increase battery time usage, it only works for short time. Put reliable power window switches.

Hybrid Issues to Consider
By K. Smith

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a just past owner of a 06 Ford Escape hybrid, I would ask anyone looking into the hybrid models 06 & 07 to have your eye's open and understand the issues I found on my hybrid. Air Conditioning: You loose your A/C when you are traveling under 25 MPH, unless you go to Max Air, This makes the gas motor run all the time and why did you buy a hybrid ? Per factory this is how it was designed and live with it or find somthing else. I did I moved to a new Edge. I never did get the suggested mileage, I average around 31 MPG on freeway, trade in value wasn't as good as my Ford sales person suggested (My fault to listen to sales person) No sour grapes, just beware !

Comfortable leather seats, Good rear storage. Fog lights worked well.

Air conditioning while in hybrid mode. More durable windshield. Better extended warranty.

A Joy to Own
By Gene

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been a great vehicle. I feel that I have more than gotten my money's worth. With an average of 35.6mpg in both city and highway driving up and down hills, I can not be happier. The tax credits were a plus but I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Too bad they do not make a Mustang Hybrid. I would buy that too.

Fuel mileage, comfort, moonroof, navigation.

MP3 upgrade

Had to trade it in
By dina k

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted an Escape Hybrid since they came out and finally got one. I stupidly didn't realize the importance of getting the 4WD version. Its hard tires handle well below average in any kind of slick/snowy conditions. The truck told me the tires were under pressure when it was cold out and that the passenger door was ajar when it reached below freezing temps. Finally had to get rid of it when the dealership told me they couldn't fix the loud squeeking coming from the front drivers side brake.

Huge tax return! 32mpg and I liked the outside styling.

Very plain interior. Sometimes seemed top heavy when turning. Very bad handling in the snow for the 2wd.