Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Just Turned Four
By Kevin

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have posted here previously. Like others, was looking to do right thing for the environment, have some carrying capacity and seeking better mileage. About 38K mi.on the vehicle. 4WD Hybrid w/o navigation or moonroof. Has been very reliable and - depending on time of year and driving habits. . . currently about 70/30 hwy./city, it averages around 29 mpg. Better mileage in warmer months here in Pacific NW. Was quite helpful having undercarriage clearance when snow blasted Seattle for a week in 12/08. Very utilitarian since it's built on Ford Ranger frame and has continued to perform as advertised. My wife was rear-ended at about 20-25 mph a year and a half ago. Vehicle held its own.

Hybrid battery, cargo area, peppy 4 cylinder engine.

Am sure improvements have been substantial in last four years - Mercury Mariner has some nice bells & whistles. AWD, satellite radio, temp gauge and adjustable back seat/cargo area like Chevy Equinox.

Bill's Escape
By Bill

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I brought the car because I wanted to do good for the environment. And to get good economy. From the first day I started to drive it, it was a fun car. It's room, and can fit 4 adults comfortable. I especially like the navigation system. Too bad it was not true GPS. Now is it basically useless. I do like the roll out cover behind the 2nd seat. If you have to carry something and you don't want it to be seen, rolling out the cargo cover, hides everything back there. As long as it is not taller than the cargo cover.

The CVT Transmission was especially good for adding engine drag or braking while going down hill. And you can put it in first gear and get the engine drag of braking at any speed.

I know for a fact that the navigation system has already been updated to true GPS. It would be nice if Ford came back and correct that feature for all 2006 Escape Hybrids

Love my hybrid
By green in NewEngland

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were lucky enough to get this hybrid off the truck as there were none left in New England. I have not had trouble with my car at all. I do take it to required check-ups and oil changes. It gets out of alignment about once a year but I'm sure my new drivers are responsible for that. They love to take the hybrid because their sporty cars are gas hogs. At first the mileage was just average but as it ages it gets better and better. The interior is driver friendly, it's good in snow and warms up super fast on icy days. After three years and 72,000 miles, I love it and will replace it with the same thing when it gets too old to go.

Reliability, good looks- I put a grill guard on and it looks so cute- and nice size. I like the way it is higher than a car but I don't need a ladder to get in. The plug on the dash is very handy. Plenty of carseat room too. I can help the earth without stuffing my family into a sedan.

Dealers need to have better training in use and care of hybrids. Our dealer actually came to us for user information on the car.

Why get a hybrid?
By DogFather

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I purchased the hybrid to increase our fuel efficiency. After 15 months, the Aux. Mode Door Actuator ceased to work. It wasn't under warranty so we paid over $500 to replace it. This offset all savings of having a hybrid. Now after 14 months, the same thing has happened again so we might as well have bought a standard Escape and saved in the long run. We found no benefit because of this in owning a hybrid by Ford.

It has excellent fuel efficiency. Too bad the actuator door costs cost more than the gas it saves.

Make the Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator last more than 14 Months. Incidentally, just long enough so the old one isn't covered under warranty. I'm wondering if Ford has gone back to their old ways that got them in trouble in the eighties.

I love my hybrid and here's why
By spacefan

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, if you have the fuel/electric usage interface for the navigation system you know what your mileage is and can adjust your driving style. Second, the system provides an average miles per gallon, not the actual miles per gallon. Third, check your tire pressure every two weeks to ensure proper inflation--it is amazing what effect properly inflated tires have on gas mileage. Fourth, with the exception of a recall on the electronics for the big battery (and the need to replace the big battery), this vehicle has been wonderfully reliable even in really cold weather (keep in mind the battery starts the engine). Lastly, during the worst of the gas crisis I was smiling all the way to the bank!

Love having an actual electric outlet in the car--don't need the car lighter adapter chargers for my cell phone.

Needs better fit and finish for the back storage area--carpet did not fit neatly. Also, there is no temperature indicator on the navigation screen--I miss not knowing how bloody cold or hot it really is outside. Last, need to provide actual miles per gallon not the average.