2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews 3

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
A Joy to Own
By Gene

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been a great vehicle. I feel that I have more than gotten my money's worth. With an average of 35.6mpg in both city and highway driving up and down hills, I can not be happier. The tax credits were a plus but I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Too bad they do not make a Mustang Hybrid. I would buy that too.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, comfort, moonroof, navigation.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 upgrade

Had to trade it in
By dina k

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted an Escape Hybrid since they came out and finally got one. I stupidly didn't realize the importance of getting the 4WD version. Its hard tires handle well below average in any kind of slick/snowy conditions. The truck told me the tires were under pressure when it was cold out and that the passenger door was ajar when it reached below freezing temps. Finally had to get rid of it when the dealership told me they couldn't fix the loud squeeking coming from the front drivers side brake.

Favorite Features

Huge tax return! 32mpg and I liked the outside styling.

Suggested Improvements

Very plain interior. Sometimes seemed top heavy when turning. Very bad handling in the snow for the 2wd.

Thrives in Traffic
By R. Lee

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid thrives best in traffic driving, no matter where it is. Open highway gas mileage a bit lower than expected, yet better than any other comparable SUVs in its class. Want to buy the 2008 because it looks even "beefier" outside. Only complaint: rear trunk carpet does not hold well, slide furniture or a heavy box into the back and the carpet slides with it exposing the 330amp battery.

Favorite Features

Navigation, instrumentation, plug outlet, fold down accomodates my 2 dogs very well.

Suggested Improvements

Secure the rear trunk carpet so it won't slide around.

Best fun to drive SUV
By Alan Kornweiss

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first SUV I've ever owned and I'm very glad that I bought this one. It's fun to drive and the gas mileage is terrific,which is why I purchased it. I drive about 80 miles a day back and forth to work and the realibility has been great. I change the oil about every 8,000 miles and use synthetic oil as the factory reeommends. It has proven to be a great vehicle for me. I did a lot of research before purchasing this vehicle and when I read that it has Toyota technology that made my decision even easier. My last car was a Toyota Camry and it was the best car I had ever owned. If you want a fun to drive SUV I recommend this one. Great!

Favorite Features

Great driving in the snow and on the beach too with the 4 wheel drive. Very peppy for a hybrid SUV. I really love driving this vehicle. I recommend this SUV to anyone who wants to drive a fun and reliable vehicle with great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I can't really find any fault with this SUV. I has pretty much everything you need for a compact SUV. The cargo area is very spacious even with the large battery that's under the carpet in the cargo area.

Sales
By Sales

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Anyone in the outside sales industry should think about getting this vehicle. You get 32 MPG in the city and about 29 MPG on the highway. I lug about 300 pounds of catalogs a day and still get this type of MPG. The price tag is the only problem with it over $25K if you factor that in you might want to think twice.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, Interior space, Fog lights, AWD Handles fantastic in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Price! Way too expensive!!

Hybrid? Yeah right!
By Mike

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gas mileage is VERY disappointing! The car has been in over 10 times for various issues. The shocks were replaced at 4,000 miles. The car needed a full alignment at 4,500 miles. I have another appointment tomorrow to investigate the terrible gas mileage, noises when turning, gas fume smells and the infamous 'clicking' noise in the rear has appeared again. If you are looking for an Escape - go for it! Just do NOT get the Hybrid! I had a regular Escape when they first came out and was great. Ford just doesn't have this down yet.

Favorite Features

Great size for 5 adults and the leather seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

MILEAGE, Ford "Quality"- I think Ford needs to come up with a better motto or stand by it.

GREAT BUT...
By RickeyBee

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the way the Hybrid drives; the 2 wheel drive gets super mileage (30+ city and highway). The visibility, acceleration, and handling are good. The quality of materials, particularly in the interior, is not. The rear storage area carpet is constantly coming loose. It covers the batteries and must be moved for maintenance. Unfortunately, it is not attached down by anything...not even Velcro. So whenever I slide a box into the back the carpet pulls up. The quality of the carpet is also not good; it is already looking shabby after only 9 months. I wore a hole in the floor mat within 30 days (not covered by warranty). The speedometer has very poor lighting and is hard to read at night.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality carpet, better lighting on instrument cluster and especially speedometer, need method to tie the carpet down in the storage area.

Really disappointed
By Barb Lovell

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

SORRY I got it. Noisy, poor dash lights, minimal defrost and heating in north, faulty disc player, electric glitch (lost power steering 3 times), and mileage OVER ESTIMATED! At best I get 27 miles at 40 mph. Also because I wanted leather seats, I had to buy GPS which was not needed, It was part of the package offered.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lighting, heating/defrost, better/honest mileage, quieter interior.

Suprise!
By Charlie Ca$h

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really enjoy my hybrid. I got it for my wife to go to work and to run my kid around Atlanta. We have saved a great deal of money on gas. Now we challenge each other on who can get the best gas mileage. The tax credit is also great! Plus we got the zero percent interest rate from Ford.

Favorite Features

Gas savings, power, getting 450 miles before a 12 gallon fill up.

Suggested Improvements

Outside temp gauge.

2006 Ford Escape
By Pete Hunt

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gas mileage is not as great as expected but my previous Ford was an F-150 (V-8) so it was an improvement in the pockets.

Favorite Features

The fact that I can drive without gas for short periods of time.

Suggested Improvements

None, looks like the follow up Escape has covered most of the exterior looks.