2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Excellent value for a small SUV
By Hybrid Tom on 08/22/08 15:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape Hybrid looks much smaller than it is. Interior space is much more than it appears. With tax credits, the cost equaled a V-6 with 4 cylinder MPG. Overall, no problems, and lots of approval from the tree huggers.

Satisfied with the hybrid
By stormpeakco on 05/13/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this vehicle primarily to become more carbon neutral. This vehicle has far exceeded our expectations for us and our two large dogs. We have achieved an average of 29.75 miles for the life of the car (22K) and that includes residing at 7000', winters in the snow country with soft snow tires and CO winter gasoline. A recent trip to the west coast yielded 31.5mpg. Sure it is gutless but it is supposed to be with only a four banger and runs on regular, not jet fuel. Thus far it is the ideal primary vehicle

Love my Hybrid Escape!
By LGIII on 05/12/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the mileage, 33 mpg average, and the 10,000 oil change intervals. Would certainly buy another in the future. Ford quality has improved a lot since my first Ford in 1972. My last Ford was a 1994 Explorer I bought new and had 189,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Major Repair After 41K
By matt2007 on 11/20/07 13:33 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 1 year, 9 months (41,200 miles) and two recall notices, my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD had a transfer case break. The transfer case was back ordered for at least two weeks. In my opinion, a all wheel drive SUV should not have major repairs with just 41,000 miles. This is especially true because Ford has had a reputation of good and sturdy cars. I had been very please with the other 5 Ford Vehicles that I have owned (3 new, 2 used). I encourage anyone to consider very carefully my experience before they purchase a Ford.

Mine lost it's breaks 4 times
By IHATEFORD on 09/26/07 14:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My escape hybrid has had complete break failure 4 time in two years and 3 times in 3 weeks. Ford can't figure out what the problem is. They replaced the master breaking cylinder and while road testing the car, the breaks went out on them. Ford headquarters also takes no responsibility for the breaks and has basically told me I had to deal with the problem. I asked that they put in writing that the car is safe to drive when the repairs are finally done, but they refuse to do that saying it would be fraudulent since Ford doesn't do the repairs, Ford "dealers" do the repairs.

Not As Expected - Not So Hybrid
By J. Weisner on 09/15/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a pre-owned thinking most problems been solved. There still are, the infamous squeaks at the battery area, loose and squeaky front airbag. Consumption is great below 30mph, not at the hiway. Comfortable ride anyhow. Bad attendance for recalls, not all techs knows about hybrid. Power window switch fails, not just on my Escape but on my Focus as well.

Hybrid Issues to Consider
By K. Smith on 09/01/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a just past owner of a 06 Ford Escape hybrid, I would ask anyone looking into the hybrid models 06 & 07 to have your eye's open and understand the issues I found on my hybrid. Air Conditioning: You loose your A/C when you are traveling under 25 MPH, unless you go to Max Air, This makes the gas motor run all the time and why did you buy a hybrid ? Per factory this is how it was designed and live with it or find somthing else. I did I moved to a new Edge. I never did get the suggested mileage, I average around 31 MPG on freeway, trade in value wasn't as good as my Ford sales person suggested (My fault to listen to sales person) No sour grapes, just beware !

A Joy to Own
By Gene on 06/28/07 04:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been a great vehicle. I feel that I have more than gotten my money's worth. With an average of 35.6mpg in both city and highway driving up and down hills, I can not be happier. The tax credits were a plus but I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Too bad they do not make a Mustang Hybrid. I would buy that too.

Had to trade it in
By dina k on 05/31/07 21:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted an Escape Hybrid since they came out and finally got one. I stupidly didn't realize the importance of getting the 4WD version. Its hard tires handle well below average in any kind of slick/snowy conditions. The truck told me the tires were under pressure when it was cold out and that the passenger door was ajar when it reached below freezing temps. Finally had to get rid of it when the dealership told me they couldn't fix the loud squeeking coming from the front drivers side brake.

Thrives in Traffic
By R. Lee on 05/07/07 15:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid thrives best in traffic driving, no matter where it is. Open highway gas mileage a bit lower than expected, yet better than any other comparable SUVs in its class. Want to buy the 2008 because it looks even "beefier" outside. Only complaint: rear trunk carpet does not hold well, slide furniture or a heavy box into the back and the carpet slides with it exposing the 330amp battery.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.