2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews 2

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Why get a hybrid?
By DogFather on 02/27/09 09:56 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I purchased the hybrid to increase our fuel efficiency. After 15 months, the Aux. Mode Door Actuator ceased to work. It wasn't under warranty so we paid over $500 to replace it. This offset all savings of having a hybrid. Now after 14 months, the same thing has happened again so we might as well have bought a standard Escape and saved in the long run. We found no benefit because of this in owning a hybrid by Ford.

I love my hybrid and here's why
By spacefan on 11/18/08 09:43 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, if you have the fuel/electric usage interface for the navigation system you know what your mileage is and can adjust your driving style. Second, the system provides an average miles per gallon, not the actual miles per gallon. Third, check your tire pressure every two weeks to ensure proper inflation--it is amazing what effect properly inflated tires have on gas mileage. Fourth, with the exception of a recall on the electronics for the big battery (and the need to replace the big battery), this vehicle has been wonderfully reliable even in really cold weather (keep in mind the battery starts the engine). Lastly, during the worst of the gas crisis I was smiling all the way to the bank!

Exactly what we hoped
By ronl on 08/26/08 13:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got this car to go between San Francisco and Sacramento. One city is hilly and cool, the other flat and often hot. So, we do a lot of city driving on hills, and often use the A/C. In just over 3 years and 67,000 miles, we've avg'd over 31 mpg. (For the first 5000 mi or so, we only avg'd 28 mpg. This is as expected, as there's a sort of 'burn-in' period for the engine. Since then, we've avg'd over 32 mpg.) We've never had a repair, only normal maintenance - oil change, tune-up, etc. The car rides very well, but the interior is hard to clean, especially after carrying rock, soil, compost, and straw for our yard. In short, this car has met our best expectations.

Excellent value for a small SUV
By Hybrid Tom on 08/22/08 15:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape Hybrid looks much smaller than it is. Interior space is much more than it appears. With tax credits, the cost equaled a V-6 with 4 cylinder MPG. Overall, no problems, and lots of approval from the tree huggers.

Satisfied with the hybrid
By stormpeakco on 05/13/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this vehicle primarily to become more carbon neutral. This vehicle has far exceeded our expectations for us and our two large dogs. We have achieved an average of 29.75 miles for the life of the car (22K) and that includes residing at 7000', winters in the snow country with soft snow tires and CO winter gasoline. A recent trip to the west coast yielded 31.5mpg. Sure it is gutless but it is supposed to be with only a four banger and runs on regular, not jet fuel. Thus far it is the ideal primary vehicle

Love my Hybrid Escape!
By LGIII on 05/12/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the mileage, 33 mpg average, and the 10,000 oil change intervals. Would certainly buy another in the future. Ford quality has improved a lot since my first Ford in 1972. My last Ford was a 1994 Explorer I bought new and had 189,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Major Repair After 41K
By matt2007 on 11/20/07 13:33 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 1 year, 9 months (41,200 miles) and two recall notices, my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD had a transfer case break. The transfer case was back ordered for at least two weeks. In my opinion, a all wheel drive SUV should not have major repairs with just 41,000 miles. This is especially true because Ford has had a reputation of good and sturdy cars. I had been very please with the other 5 Ford Vehicles that I have owned (3 new, 2 used). I encourage anyone to consider very carefully my experience before they purchase a Ford.

Mine lost it's breaks 4 times
By IHATEFORD on 09/26/07 14:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My escape hybrid has had complete break failure 4 time in two years and 3 times in 3 weeks. Ford can't figure out what the problem is. They replaced the master breaking cylinder and while road testing the car, the breaks went out on them. Ford headquarters also takes no responsibility for the breaks and has basically told me I had to deal with the problem. I asked that they put in writing that the car is safe to drive when the repairs are finally done, but they refuse to do that saying it would be fraudulent since Ford doesn't do the repairs, Ford "dealers" do the repairs.

Not As Expected - Not So Hybrid
By J. Weisner on 09/15/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a pre-owned thinking most problems been solved. There still are, the infamous squeaks at the battery area, loose and squeaky front airbag. Consumption is great below 30mph, not at the hiway. Comfortable ride anyhow. Bad attendance for recalls, not all techs knows about hybrid. Power window switch fails, not just on my Escape but on my Focus as well.

Hybrid Issues to Consider
By K. Smith on 09/01/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a just past owner of a 06 Ford Escape hybrid, I would ask anyone looking into the hybrid models 06 & 07 to have your eye's open and understand the issues I found on my hybrid. Air Conditioning: You loose your A/C when you are traveling under 25 MPH, unless you go to Max Air, This makes the gas motor run all the time and why did you buy a hybrid ? Per factory this is how it was designed and live with it or find somthing else. I did I moved to a new Edge. I never did get the suggested mileage, I average around 31 MPG on freeway, trade in value wasn't as good as my Ford sales person suggested (My fault to listen to sales person) No sour grapes, just beware !