Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

If a do-over, would not buy
By 1driver3

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2006 Ford Hybrid with only 30,543 miles needs major repairs. First it was new tires, replacing those the car came with. So, at 30,000 miles I got 4 new tires. The car now has a bad rear end differential which can not be repaired but must be replaced to the tune of at least $2k, maybe more they say. No warranty, very low miles but 5 years old. I was told by the dealership that Ford and the dealership don't have the same level of customer service/loyalty because of the economy! We have probably purchased our last Fords. I may trade in but definitely not for another Ford!

Fantastic Hybrid SUV
By dillpickle

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is an excellent alternative to the large, offensive SUV's driven by urban soccer moms. The gas mileage is terrific and extends time between fill ups on the highway. The vehicle is extremely dependable and very low maintenance compared to any other SUV on the road. The 4 wheel drive is competent and provides excellent winter traction and stability. The CVT transmission is similar to a golf cart on steroids and provides a seamless, smooth acceleration and "shifting". The cabin and ride are comfortable for long trips and space is plentiful for luggage and accessories. The best vehicle we have ever purchased.

Favorite Features

-CVT transmission -seating position -body style -4 wheel drive -fuel economy -low maintenance costs -build quality

Suggested Improvements

-electric motor for AC cooling when engine stops running -fog lamps that are easier to replace

Just Turned Four
By Kevin

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have posted here previously. Like others, was looking to do right thing for the environment, have some carrying capacity and seeking better mileage. About 38K mi.on the vehicle. 4WD Hybrid w/o navigation or moonroof. Has been very reliable and - depending on time of year and driving habits. . . currently about 70/30 hwy./city, it averages around 29 mpg. Better mileage in warmer months here in Pacific NW. Was quite helpful having undercarriage clearance when snow blasted Seattle for a week in 12/08. Very utilitarian since it's built on Ford Ranger frame and has continued to perform as advertised. My wife was rear-ended at about 20-25 mph a year and a half ago. Vehicle held its own.

Favorite Features

Hybrid battery, cargo area, peppy 4 cylinder engine.

Suggested Improvements

Am sure improvements have been substantial in last four years - Mercury Mariner has some nice bells & whistles. AWD, satellite radio, temp gauge and adjustable back seat/cargo area like Chevy Equinox.

Bill's Escape
By Bill

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I brought the car because I wanted to do good for the environment. And to get good economy. From the first day I started to drive it, it was a fun car. It's room, and can fit 4 adults comfortable. I especially like the navigation system. Too bad it was not true GPS. Now is it basically useless. I do like the roll out cover behind the 2nd seat. If you have to carry something and you don't want it to be seen, rolling out the cargo cover, hides everything back there. As long as it is not taller than the cargo cover.

Favorite Features

The CVT Transmission was especially good for adding engine drag or braking while going down hill. And you can put it in first gear and get the engine drag of braking at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

I know for a fact that the navigation system has already been updated to true GPS. It would be nice if Ford came back and correct that feature for all 2006 Escape Hybrids

Love my hybrid
By green in NewEngland

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were lucky enough to get this hybrid off the truck as there were none left in New England. I have not had trouble with my car at all. I do take it to required check-ups and oil changes. It gets out of alignment about once a year but I'm sure my new drivers are responsible for that. They love to take the hybrid because their sporty cars are gas hogs. At first the mileage was just average but as it ages it gets better and better. The interior is driver friendly, it's good in snow and warms up super fast on icy days. After three years and 72,000 miles, I love it and will replace it with the same thing when it gets too old to go.

Favorite Features

Reliability, good looks- I put a grill guard on and it looks so cute- and nice size. I like the way it is higher than a car but I don't need a ladder to get in. The plug on the dash is very handy. Plenty of carseat room too. I can help the earth without stuffing my family into a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Dealers need to have better training in use and care of hybrids. Our dealer actually came to us for user information on the car.