Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
bettys hybrid ford cvt
By betty drugas

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Escape on April Fools Day 2006 hoping this would not be a joke I would regret. This Ford Escape Hybrid is no joke. It is fun to drive and the gas mileage is great not to mention the quality and design. Mileage so far has been about 30 miles a gallon combined city and freeway. Itís a little noisy at higher speeds of 50 plus but I will put up with that for all the other conveniences it has.

Favorite Features

Of course the gas mileage. Also my navigation display, moon roof, heated seats, design and quality.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning turns off when you are not moving. Also lighted vanity mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror; also a transmission that you can get lower gears by down shifting for awd models.

Couldn't be happier
By wildtexas

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle is fun to drive and provides superb gas mileage for a small size SUV -- better than even the 1992 Toyota Corolla it replaced in our family. We have a premium, fully-loaded Ford Escape Hybrid with moonroof, leather seats and the GPS Nav, and we couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is our #1 favorite "feature" of the FEH, and a major reason we purchased this vehicle, as is its small SUV profile -- ample room over a sedan, without the behemoth nature (and paltry fuel economy) of a larger SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the leather seats could be slightly better, more like our 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew, but we were aware going into this that the Escape (including the Escape Hybrid) are more of an "economy" vehicle than the fully loaded F-150. The GPS Nav could be a lot better, for the price, as well

Satisfied with the hybrid
By stormpeakco

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this vehicle primarily to become more carbon neutral. This vehicle has far exceeded our expectations for us and our two large dogs. We have achieved an average of 29.75 miles for the life of the car (22K) and that includes residing at 7000', winters in the snow country with soft snow tires and CO winter gasoline. A recent trip to the west coast yielded 31.5mpg. Sure it is gutless but it is supposed to be with only a four banger and runs on regular, not jet fuel. Thus far it is the ideal primary vehicle

Favorite Features

Green, green and more green and feel good driving it when I can't ride my bicycle. Driving to Denver on I-70 from the Eisenhower tunnel it's all downhill and one can achieve a completely green screen on the mpg meter (>50 mpg) for 15 minutes of near coasting.

Suggested Improvements

A little more sound proofing would be nice.

Fantastic Hybrid SUV
By dillpickle

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is an excellent alternative to the large, offensive SUV's driven by urban soccer moms. The gas mileage is terrific and extends time between fill ups on the highway. The vehicle is extremely dependable and very low maintenance compared to any other SUV on the road. The 4 wheel drive is competent and provides excellent winter traction and stability. The CVT transmission is similar to a golf cart on steroids and provides a seamless, smooth acceleration and "shifting". The cabin and ride are comfortable for long trips and space is plentiful for luggage and accessories. The best vehicle we have ever purchased.

Favorite Features

-CVT transmission -seating position -body style -4 wheel drive -fuel economy -low maintenance costs -build quality

Suggested Improvements

-electric motor for AC cooling when engine stops running -fog lamps that are easier to replace

Ford nailed it
By nanonevol

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this Ford. I think it has the right size motor and electric combination unlike some hybrids. I get at least 33 mpg. The computer must take some many factors into account so the car knows when to go electric and when gas. Brilliant. I love when I'm coasting or driving along on battery or when the motor shuts off in traffic or at a light. All cars should be hybrid. It just makes sense to get the most out of a gallon. Regenerative braking also just a common sense solution to wasted heat energy in normal brakes.

Favorite Features

Hybrid. Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

The heated seat is either on and hot or off. Needs a temperature adjustment. Drivers seat not the most comfortable. Could also use more adjustments.