Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Chilton
By chilton

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Drives fine except for accelerating onto highway. I drove Explorers for years, so I'm getting used to a lighter-weight vehicle, but love the improved mileage. Still think the higher price in comparison to an Explorer makes the improved gas costs overrated. I have a problem with paying more (we also bought another Explorer) and receiving a lesser quality vehicle. My Hybrid payment is $100.00 more per month than our new Explorer. So it's give and take.

Improved gas mileage, front and side airbags.

More comfortable seats and lumbar support. Improved acceleration onto highway.

I cant believe its American
By Colorado flyfisher

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Awesome vehicle. Great mileage, performance, and useability. This vehicle has been outstanding and clearly exceeded my expectations. Ford you got it right this time! I love driving by gas stations and waving.

Usable suv.

Interior features could be a little more robust.

Ford Escape Hybrid is a Piece of Junk
By Escape Hybrid

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After all the hype, the 2006 Ford Hybrid is a cheaply built piece of junk. For one, the gas mileage is just not what you'd expect from a hybrid. After only 25MPH the engine kicks in. Think about it...even in city driving (which averages 35MPH), your going to engage the engine a LOT. Secondly, when using the air conditioner, the engine is engaged. So, if you live in the south -- you are really out of luck. Lastly, the darn vehicle is a very noisy. Compared to the Explorer, there is virtually no insulation to outside noise. Lastly, it is a rip off. Those I know who own a Ford Escape (non-hybrid) are getting about the same mileage as I with the hybrid -- 27MPH for about $5K more!

None. They cheapened on everything to cover the cost of the batter technology. I am going to trade this in within the next month.

Read my complaints and adjust the designs accordingly.

I was an SUV hater
By Steven

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are very pleased with this vehicle. Not just because of outstanding mpg, but also because of it being an extremely environmentally clean car. It is also quite comfortable to travel in. We just completed a trim from Iowa to SE Pennsylvania and enjoyed the trip. Averaged 31 mpg highway driving, 65 mph steady with AC on. We had considered a Prius, but because of a bad back my wife was not comfortable sitting so low. The Escape is easier to get in and out of too.

Fun to drive, easy to park, quiet, comfortable, nice sound system with 6-cd changer, mp3 capable, environmentally friendly, and economy.

Needs better protection from rock damage on rear panel in front of rear wheels. We paid extra for the appearance package and it already has rock chips in this area. I was not happy about this. Had mud guards installed, but they don't help much.

bettys hybrid ford cvt
By betty drugas

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Escape on April Fools Day 2006 hoping this would not be a joke I would regret. This Ford Escape Hybrid is no joke. It is fun to drive and the gas mileage is great not to mention the quality and design. Mileage so far has been about 30 miles a gallon combined city and freeway. Itís a little noisy at higher speeds of 50 plus but I will put up with that for all the other conveniences it has.

Of course the gas mileage. Also my navigation display, moon roof, heated seats, design and quality.

The air conditioning turns off when you are not moving. Also lighted vanity mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror; also a transmission that you can get lower gears by down shifting for awd models.

• SUV