2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2006 Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Sort Reviews by

Great for Atlanta city driving!
By JAL

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hybrids are great for the gridlocked, rush-hour driving in a city like Atlanta. Gas mileage is outstanding in these conditions. I bought this car off the lot, and did NOT pay the markup prices they were trying for. At the same time, in these times of high gasoline cost, don't expect the dealer to drop much if any below MSRP; just don't pay for the garbage "features". The Escape Hybrid has adequate roominess, and is surprisingly roomy for a tall guy like myself (6'4") behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, particularly in city rush hour traffic. Ride is smooth, acceptable roominess. A nice feature is the fact that the radio continues to function (even after the car is turned off) until the door is opened. The 110V power outlet will prove to be very useful.

Suggested Improvements

For the price, a lot of the interior features seem to be cheap and "plasticky", a particular bane of Ford products. The windshield wiper controls (especially for the back window wiper) looks cluttered and unnecessarily complicated. Some controls seem to be unnecessarily "crowded".

More fun to drive than my Prius!
By JuggerBot

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have a 2004 Prius and now a 2006 Hybrid Escape. Our daily mileage is low 30s, but I can easily nurse that up to mid 30s and above with Prius-style tactics. The Escape is more fun to drive and does a better job of moving two adults, a dog, and a baby with equipment than the Prius could. The Prius is still king for mileage, but it's now a commuter only.

Favorite Features

Hybrid drive, dash indicators confirming the drivetrain is really in electric mode (wish the Prius had this), navigation system, cargo space, pep; much better acceleration than the Prius.

Suggested Improvements

Inside handle on the hatchback STINKS. Has caused numerous injuries (bleeding, scratches, etc). Look at how Toyota did it on the Prius ... or at least try to close the Escape hatchback with a bag of groceries in one hand. Would be nice if the dash MFD display was larger.

Escape Hybrid
By David

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The gas mileage of this vehicle is incredible for an SUV. And the heated leather seats feel great on my bum back. The NAV system is incredible. I can say nothing bad about this vehicle. It's perfect!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and rear sensors.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.

SUV With Economy Of Sedan
By Mark

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We wanted a large vehicle for a family of four but also wanted the economy of a small vehicle and the peace of mind of low emissions. The Escape Hybrid meets all of these requirements. With the exception of low quality interior cloth, it is a well sealed, very comfortable roomy ride for my 6 foot 4 inch frame. With the spacious second row seating and huge cargo area we can easily accommodate our family for comfortable road trips. Current average MPG is 29.5, as indicated on the fuel economy/navigation screen. My only concern is all the computer and electric motor technology. Repairs are likely to be expensive if/when needed, but the extended warranty helps with overall piece of mind.

Favorite Features

The navigation system is lots of fun as well as the fuel economy graph. Getting around in unfamiliar territory only requires entering an address and letting the car take you there.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the electric side of the spectrum had more capability. Bigger, longer lasting batteries with ability to fully charge overnight would be a plus. Adding a diesel engine and a manual gas engine cutoff switch would be wonderful as well for ultimate economy and fuel efficiency.

Best decision I've made to date
By Rich Murphy

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Escape Hybrid for about a month and a half and for about 2000 miles. I love it! The quiet drive during electric only mode is the greatest. I have had my best mpg just this week. To work at 5 am in the morning I achieved 32.1 mpg. Wow! In the heat of the day going home it is still impressive at 28.9. (in traffic and the A/C on). The navigation system is really cool. My bro-in-law and I have named it/her "Jen". The radio and the CD is awesome. The paint job is excellent and the fit and finish is excellent as well. This "truck" rides like a fine car and handles great. I love the gas reminder telling how much the thing will go before empty. I'd buy again in a heart beat.

Favorite Features

Paint job (dark shadow gray clearcoat metallic) The diagnostic system, the fuel reminder, the radio, CD, the Nav system (Jen) are the greatest. The leather interior is the most comfortable I've ever owned. The rear sensing system is a must for me from now on. The entire vehicle is primo!

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see the vehicle go longer on electric only mode, currently it's around 25 mph. Sometimes if there's no strain from the landscape it will go 30 before kicking on the engine. It's a bit odd you can't "rev" the engine. Need to be able to tow more weight. The 1000 max isn't enough to pull a pop up!

I got the lemon
By tkr2good

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car 8/31. The ABS brakes went out on 9/3. Dealer had car till 9/7. I drove it one more day and now 9/9, it's back at the dealership for same problem. The 3 days I drove it was very nice. My challenge was running entirely on the electric motor. I bought the cheapest model and got it for $1000 under MSRP. "Never pay sticker or mark up!"

Favorite Features

Electric motor, ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix my truck!

Great little SUV
By Bz

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It runs down the road very well: it is comfortable and handles well. It takes a while to get accustomed to using the electric side of the power equation. It makes one very aware of the energy cost of driving at high rates of speed. By using the data provided by the car one can achieve maximum mileage per gallon of gas.

Favorite Features

Handling. Looks. HVAC system. Interior space. Seat adjustability. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

The interior design is overly plain and far below competitors in amenities (such as handy and convenient stowage space for cell phone accessories, adequate change holder, etc.) A true equalizer on the audio system would be nice.

Ford Escape Hybrid
By Bruce

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Really a great vehicle, good performance, nice size, gets the mileage we expected (30.0 mpg in both city and highway w/AWD), fun to drive, excellent quality.

Favorite Features

CVT transmission, regenerative braking, leather seats, great style, big wheels/tires.

Suggested Improvements

Outside thermometer, back up warning, auto headlamps.

Hybrids in ... Gas guzzlers out
By Patrick

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We took a chance; had only Hondas and Toyotas since '82. The Highlander w/4WD and Navigation system was $12k more. We get 25mpg hwy+city with the A/C on max (ie: the gas engine is always on). Seats are not deep enough for a tall person, but headroom is excellent. Tires are really noisy and wander on grooved pavement. Make copies of the navigation CDs -- we couldn't find a source to buy or update them separately -- a full set is $200! Safety package is a must have. Wish it had an option for steering wheel radio/CD controls. Time will tell if Ford can come close to Toyota's reliability.

Favorite Features

Acceleration is great for a 4-cylinder. Mileage! Adjustable seatbelts, 110v plug, fun to drive, navigation system is cool.

Suggested Improvements

Daytime running lights, remote switch or at least a locking gas cap, door molding strips, better interior light in front, more storage compartments, better interior fit/finish, touchscreen NAV, sun visors -- larger w/pull outs and bigger mirrors.

Escape Hybrid
By John

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in the mountains of Colorado I was a bit skeptical about the Hybrid. After driving it through a 12,000' mountain pass I was sold on it. It accelerates better than some previous V-6 vehicles that I've owned. The fuel economy so far has been very good; we are averaging over 32 mpg and it would probably be better if I didn't have a lead foot when driving it. The changeover between electric and gas is seamless. The interior has good room and being 6'5" I fit better in the Escape than I do the Explorer, another good selling point for me. We keep cars until they fall apart and the additional warranty on the Hybrid specific items gives us an additional sense of security. We love it!

Favorite Features

Side canopy airbags & cargo shade.

Suggested Improvements

Different wheel options & reverse sensors.