Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Ford Escape Hybrid is a Piece of Junk
By Escape Hybrid

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After all the hype, the 2006 Ford Hybrid is a cheaply built piece of junk. For one, the gas mileage is just not what you'd expect from a hybrid. After only 25MPH the engine kicks in. Think about it...even in city driving (which averages 35MPH), your going to engage the engine a LOT. Secondly, when using the air conditioner, the engine is engaged. So, if you live in the south -- you are really out of luck. Lastly, the darn vehicle is a very noisy. Compared to the Explorer, there is virtually no insulation to outside noise. Lastly, it is a rip off. Those I know who own a Ford Escape (non-hybrid) are getting about the same mileage as I with the hybrid -- 27MPH for about $5K more!

None. They cheapened on everything to cover the cost of the batter technology. I am going to trade this in within the next month.

Read my complaints and adjust the designs accordingly.

I was an SUV hater
By Steven

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are very pleased with this vehicle. Not just because of outstanding mpg, but also because of it being an extremely environmentally clean car. It is also quite comfortable to travel in. We just completed a trim from Iowa to SE Pennsylvania and enjoyed the trip. Averaged 31 mpg highway driving, 65 mph steady with AC on. We had considered a Prius, but because of a bad back my wife was not comfortable sitting so low. The Escape is easier to get in and out of too.

Fun to drive, easy to park, quiet, comfortable, nice sound system with 6-cd changer, mp3 capable, environmentally friendly, and economy.

Needs better protection from rock damage on rear panel in front of rear wheels. We paid extra for the appearance package and it already has rock chips in this area. I was not happy about this. Had mud guards installed, but they don't help much.

bettys hybrid ford cvt
By betty drugas

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Escape on April Fools Day 2006 hoping this would not be a joke I would regret. This Ford Escape Hybrid is no joke. It is fun to drive and the gas mileage is great not to mention the quality and design. Mileage so far has been about 30 miles a gallon combined city and freeway. Itís a little noisy at higher speeds of 50 plus but I will put up with that for all the other conveniences it has.

Of course the gas mileage. Also my navigation display, moon roof, heated seats, design and quality.

The air conditioning turns off when you are not moving. Also lighted vanity mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror; also a transmission that you can get lower gears by down shifting for awd models.

Pleased overall
By shane

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has cut my weekly fuel cost from $80 to $35. Thatís a $2600 yearly savings and I did not have to do anything other than change vehicles. The vehicle is comfy with plenty of amenities. My family is very pleased so far. I do not mind that these vehicles are not perfect and I am grateful that manufacturers are finally making a product that uses less fuel, cannot wait for improved models in the future.

I enjoy the fuel efficiency meter, it allows you to see real time impact of your driving style.

Temp gauge.

SUV But Still Impressive
By Laura

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Did really well for an suv-gas mileage wise. It only dropped about 1 and a half mpg when a/c was on continuous which is impressive considering the shape of the vehicle. You can only get so good of mileage in a suv.

How quiet it is.

Interior quality and center console design.