Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Fantastic Hybrid SUV
By dillpickle

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is an excellent alternative to the large, offensive SUV's driven by urban soccer moms. The gas mileage is terrific and extends time between fill ups on the highway. The vehicle is extremely dependable and very low maintenance compared to any other SUV on the road. The 4 wheel drive is competent and provides excellent winter traction and stability. The CVT transmission is similar to a golf cart on steroids and provides a seamless, smooth acceleration and "shifting". The cabin and ride are comfortable for long trips and space is plentiful for luggage and accessories. The best vehicle we have ever purchased.

Favorite Features

-CVT transmission -seating position -body style -4 wheel drive -fuel economy -low maintenance costs -build quality

Suggested Improvements

-electric motor for AC cooling when engine stops running -fog lamps that are easier to replace

Great Car.... but
By phdmam

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got it new and have been saving money on gas every mile I drive it. I have done my math, and save a gallon for every gallon of gas I use. Cons...-- Tires do not last long, on my 3rd set at 80k. Front end suspension is a problem - just fixed all my tie rods (the were old and torn) (I have had 20 year old Hondas with 175k and never changed a tie rod). Just changed my 2nd tone (ABS sensor) rings because they are exposed to the elements and break from rust. Overall, great car, no expenses to change antifreeze yet, no expenses for transmission fluids (lifetime). My kids are of driving age, and I think I will get another FEH

If a do-over, would not buy
By 1driver3

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2006 Ford Hybrid with only 30,543 miles needs major repairs. First it was new tires, replacing those the car came with. So, at 30,000 miles I got 4 new tires. The car now has a bad rear end differential which can not be repaired but must be replaced to the tune of at least $2k, maybe more they say. No warranty, very low miles but 5 years old. I was told by the dealership that Ford and the dealership don't have the same level of customer service/loyalty because of the economy! We have probably purchased our last Fords. I may trade in but definitely not for another Ford!

Good Ride. Great Value
By clcs5860

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 06 all wheel drive escape in 2007, had 16K miles on it at the time of purchase. I have not been kind to this car as I drive it for business and am on the go all the time. I have kept service up to date. The car now has 101K miles on it. The ride is good, acceleration peppy for a hybrid. Only unexpected problem I have had, is to replace a power steering module which cost $824. The leather on the drivers seat has worn through in the arm which indicates the leather in the car is fairly cheap No other complaints.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, reliability, comfort and ride

Suggested Improvements

My car is an 2006, so I hope Ford has upgraded the leather.

This Vehicle Stinks
By kc

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When I purchased this Ford Escape I was excited and went out on my ranch and got stuck in 3" of snow on a dirt road. That isn't the only time I got stuck in snow either; 2 more times in parking lots. First time up skiing and the second at a mall where a Cadillac pulled me out of my parking spot. The arm rest on the door of the driver's side is made of plastic; after driving a few days my elbow hurt and I could not figure out why. Then I realized that it was because of this arm rest.

Favorite Features

Sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

The arm rest and cup holder.