2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
SUV With Economy Of Sedan
By Mark on 09/20/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We wanted a large vehicle for a family of four but also wanted the economy of a small vehicle and the peace of mind of low emissions. The Escape Hybrid meets all of these requirements. With the exception of low quality interior cloth, it is a well sealed, very comfortable roomy ride for my 6 foot 4 inch frame. With the spacious second row seating and huge cargo area we can easily accommodate our family for comfortable road trips. Current average MPG is 29.5, as indicated on the fuel economy/navigation screen. My only concern is all the computer and electric motor technology. Repairs are likely to be expensive if/when needed, but the extended warranty helps with overall piece of mind.

Best decision I've made to date
By Rich Murphy on 09/12/05 20:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Escape Hybrid for about a month and a half and for about 2000 miles. I love it! The quiet drive during electric only mode is the greatest. I have had my best mpg just this week. To work at 5 am in the morning I achieved 32.1 mpg. Wow! In the heat of the day going home it is still impressive at 28.9. (in traffic and the A/C on). The navigation system is really cool. My bro-in-law and I have named it/her "Jen". The radio and the CD is awesome. The paint job is excellent and the fit and finish is excellent as well. This "truck" rides like a fine car and handles great. I love the gas reminder telling how much the thing will go before empty. I'd buy again in a heart beat.

I got the lemon
By tkr2good on 09/09/05 15:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought the car 8/31. The ABS brakes went out on 9/3. Dealer had car till 9/7. I drove it one more day and now 9/9, it's back at the dealership for same problem. The 3 days I drove it was very nice. My challenge was running entirely on the electric motor. I bought the cheapest model and got it for $1000 under MSRP. "Never pay sticker or mark up!"

Great little SUV
By Bz on 09/08/05 13:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It runs down the road very well: it is comfortable and handles well. It takes a while to get accustomed to using the electric side of the power equation. It makes one very aware of the energy cost of driving at high rates of speed. By using the data provided by the car one can achieve maximum mileage per gallon of gas.

Ford Escape Hybrid
By Bruce on 09/07/05 22:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Really a great vehicle, good performance, nice size, gets the mileage we expected (30.0 mpg in both city and highway w/AWD), fun to drive, excellent quality.

Hybrids in ... Gas guzzlers out
By Patrick on 09/01/05 15:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We took a chance; had only Hondas and Toyotas since '82. The Highlander w/4WD and Navigation system was $12k more. We get 25mpg hwy+city with the A/C on max (ie: the gas engine is always on). Seats are not deep enough for a tall person, but headroom is excellent. Tires are really noisy and wander on grooved pavement. Make copies of the navigation CDs -- we couldn't find a source to buy or update them separately -- a full set is $200! Safety package is a must have. Wish it had an option for steering wheel radio/CD controls. Time will tell if Ford can come close to Toyota's reliability.

Escape Hybrid
By John on 08/29/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in the mountains of Colorado I was a bit skeptical about the Hybrid. After driving it through a 12,000' mountain pass I was sold on it. It accelerates better than some previous V-6 vehicles that I've owned. The fuel economy so far has been very good; we are averaging over 32 mpg and it would probably be better if I didn't have a lead foot when driving it. The changeover between electric and gas is seamless. The interior has good room and being 6'5" I fit better in the Escape than I do the Explorer, another good selling point for me. We keep cars until they fall apart and the additional warranty on the Hybrid specific items gives us an additional sense of security. We love it!

I Love This Car!
By egiardie on 08/26/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Two weeks ago, I traded in my 2003 Mazda Tribute and purchased a 2006 Ford Escape AWD Hybrid. I've never posted a review of anything I've purchased before, but I just had to do so this time around because I LOVE THIS CAR! It handles great, is very comfortable and is averaging 25-28 mph in the rural country driving I do - where my Mazda Tribute had averaged about 20 mpg (city driving would provide even higher mpg for this vehicle). I feel great knowing that I've purchased a car with the new hybrid technology that will allow us to decrease our dependency on an ever dissipating oil supply.

This is number 2
By Fred on 08/19/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife loves this vehicle. Drives and rides nice. Economy 27 to 30 at all times. We live in the rural area with hills and various conditions. It has no lack of power. This is the second one that we have had. The 4 wheel drive is great, even on ice and snow covered roads. The 1st Escape we put 7500 miles on with no dealer service. It only had an oil service at 7000 miles. The present one has 1500 miles with no squawks. We upgraded to the 2006 because of the heated seats and sunroof. There is no difference between a 2005 and a 2006, only the option list. They both drive and handle the same.

Never Thought
By Robert on 08/10/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Walked into dealer with no thoughts of this kind of vehicle on my mind. Was attracted to body style with the new black paint. Then thought about the price of gas and I was sold! Hybrid engine works great and hardly gives notice that it's anything other than a regular internal combustion engine.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.