2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Auto for the near future
By weatherman on 11/03/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Loved the 2002 Escape so much my wife said we should get the Hybrid version. Stands a little taller, lacks the 12 volt outlet in the back, but is much quieter than old version. Perforated leather is softer and seats more comfortable. Drivetrain performance is not noticeably different than the V6 2002 we are used to. Sound system is good and the navigation is a neat plus when driving to unfamiliar destinations. No engine noise at stops and speeds under 30 is something we have gotten used to quickly. Electric power steering gives reasonable road feedback but not the same as traditional. When accelerating the engine spools up quickly, the vehicles moves smoothly without any gear changing.

Good Hybrid, but Room for Improvement
By Vince Fredrick on 10/17/05 11:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my 2001 Prius for a bit more room and to get "up" above the traffic a bit. Found the Escape to be a pretty good replacement (though about 15 mpg lower than the Prius). The Escape performs beautifully and rides well. I do feel a bit let down by the interior though. I got the Premium Package (recommended) to at least get some comfort items, but it is a far cry from the interior on my Eddie Bauer Expedition as far as useful design and layout. Doesn't have adequate storage for misc items in the driver area -- just the arm console.

Quality hybrid, comfortable drive.
By Tom on 10/15/05 14:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I originally drove a Ford Explorer that received an amazing 12 miles per gallon. Driving the Escape hybrid I've been able to achieve 30 miles per gallon. Learning to drive the hybrid for maximum efficiency takes some time but the reward is worth the effort. The interior is clean but has some quirks, the plastics are not as nice as the new Explorer. Overall, it still is very comfortable. An optional Edison AC plug is really cool, and lets you plug in most anything. Beware of some dealerships having a 'Limited Availability Option'...look for family owned dealerships...a lot friendlier and easier to deal with.

Pleasure
By Tom on 10/13/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very satisfactory vehicle. Drove it cross country Baltimore to Steamboat to Park City to Boise and back averaging 70mph and got approximately 27mpg. No problems in the Rockies with always available power to climb and pass going up grades of 7 percent. In the high altitudes with no air resistance I was getting nearly 45mpg with the car fully loaded. Sound system is boomy with the plastic door panel mountings and no input for iPods or XM/Sirius radios. The NAV system is OK but GARMINS are MUCH better and more flexible. I know have 11,000 miles and everything appears to be in good shape.

Fun "drives different" SUV
By Ivan Alexander on 10/13/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted 4WD but with electric hybrid performance, and this is what Ford Escape delivers. A fun vehicle to drive, great pick-up, but must be easy on the revs to get higher mpg; watch the in-dash screen, which becomes a kind of game of "drive different" for best economy. Really like this new SUV, meets all my expectations.

my new hybrid
By dave on 10/12/05 22:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Really glad we got it. Good for the environment (eventually we will all have hybrids). Wanted an suv but not the lousy mileage. Getting about 29-30 mpg in the first 1500 miles (pretty much all city stuff). The technology is unbelievable. Could only get $1k off sticker but even that was good comparatively. No hesitation about getting this car.

I bought the other lemon
By Sarahfromsc on 10/11/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in a Lincoln Continental over Labor Day weekend and have had it in the shop twice already. While on a trip I had the electrical hazard warning light come on, and thus far, Ford has flown up engineers to look at the vehicle to no avail. It makes an ungodly whiny/grindy noise when moving forward. I can't fill the gas tank up completely, and the RPMs went crazy while on my trip. The transition between gas and electric is not seamless, and sometimes the electric motor does NOT kick in when going under 25 mph or at stop lights, etc. I believe in the Hybrid, wanted it, gave up lots that I had with the Lincoln but I do believe I got a lemon. I just want one that works!

The Quiet SUV
By Bobby J. on 10/02/05 14:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in my 4WD pick-up that got 15 mpg. Wanted to get this vehicle last winter, but there was no real availability in my area at that time. I have had it for a month and have driven about 2,500 miles and overall I am very pleased. I have averaged 30 mpg for all types of driving. I had to install a back-up alarm because when this vehicle is operating on electric you can't hear anything but the tires moving. I didn't get much for options because I have a Garmin Street Pilot GPS system. I take the vehicle out on backwoods roads to take me to hiking locations and it is a bit weird to roll along with no engine noise. People often stop to inquire about it and I'm always glad to inform them.

Good Buy, Good SUV
By geobf on 09/30/05 22:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

4,000 miles in less than three months, very happy with it. Wanted a replacement for my Explorer with better fuel economy/greener. Made the move just before gas prices went nuts, found that some Houston dealers had them on the lots. Bought one with leather seats; my wife liked the ride despite the leather. Very happy with performance, just short of 30 MPG despite mostly highway miles. The A/C not running under battery is a pain, but the gas engine only stays off for more than a couple miles if you are in very slow traffic. Challenging to get above 20 MPH on the electric motor, requires a subtle touch on the pedal. Safety package/side airbags a pleasant surprise.

Great for Atlanta city driving!
By JAL on 09/29/05 11:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hybrids are great for the gridlocked, rush-hour driving in a city like Atlanta. Gas mileage is outstanding in these conditions. I bought this car off the lot, and did NOT pay the markup prices they were trying for. At the same time, in these times of high gasoline cost, don't expect the dealer to drop much if any below MSRP; just don't pay for the garbage "features". The Escape Hybrid has adequate roominess, and is surprisingly roomy for a tall guy like myself (6'4") behind the wheel.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.