2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Lovin' it!
By Bill O'Connell on 01/29/06 05:03 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a pleasure to drive. Right after I bought it, I drove it across country and really enjoyed the ride. It handles well and is full of power when you need it. I would like to see a few interior changes. It seems to be a solid and well built, but I would like a few more creature comforts inside. My vehicle before this was a Chrysler Town & Country. Ford should study that interior and copy a few things. I miss not having the temperature and direction display (plus average miles displayed digitally). I wish the rear seats would lift out. I get about 31.8 MPG average. All in all I love it. I plan to buy a second one soon. I rave about to all my friends.

Ford Escape Hybrid Evaluation
By john on 01/28/06 23:00 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is great. It is responsive and roomy, having all the attributes of my former Jeep without the ugly gas mileage and size. I especially love the display on the dash that tells me what the powertrain is doing at any time. I believe that this hybrid car has made me a much better driver, more conscious of mileage and more conscious of the virtues of driving smoothly and efficiently. But that doesn't mean that it does not have the pep and performance of an all gas powered vehicle. It has plenty. Over all, it is a joy to drive.

Love My Escape Hybrid
By Richard Devitt on 01/05/06 13:35 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We needed the all wheel drive feature since we live in the Sierra Nevada mountains where the roads are rough and the weather unpredictable. Since AWD is considered a 'premium feature' the dealer told us virtually all AWD models were factory built with the full premium package. So we ended up with a car/truck that had a lot more 'luxuries' than we wanted. Though not necessary, they make life more pleasant. As a result of the AWD, and our rough environment, we don't get anywhere near the stated mileage, but that's ok. We get about 24 hwy and 27 city mpg. It's a great car excellently put together. The biggest pleasures are the onboard NAV and the continuous acceleration transmission.

Not what I expected.
By Charyn on 12/18/05 16:51 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this vehicle when they were first released in December of 2004. Although I previously owned an Escape, and I do like this one. The performance is not what I expected. Mileage not a dramatic increase over a regular Escape. Also the dealership has been unable to service my vehicle for oil changes due to lack of experienced technicians with hybrids. Therefore I go to a trained mechanic that is Ford approved. I think the dealerships should be prepared to service the vehicles they sell. All in all I do like my Escape but there is room for improvement.

Happy with my Hybrid
By tmk on 12/16/05 04:23 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A previous owner of a 02 XLT midnight which i loved, it was not hard for me to trade in for a fully loaded hybrid. I love the nav system and computer and the ride is so smooth and quite with the cvt tranny. Just all the improvements over my 02 model and the gas mileage was enough for me. It has plenty of power so the v6 is not missed and it doesn't stand out like the Toyota Prius. Don't expect too much in the gas mileage; that all depends on your driving. I'm currently getting 30 with hardly any stop and go traffic in which this vehicles shines. Got a great deal on mine.

Solid Ford Escape Hybrid (4WD)
By OC Bill on 11/28/05 16:55 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased about one week ago. Dealer was running "special" with $2,500 off sticker. Runs great -- got fully loaded with sunroof/navigation system/leather. Did not really need 4 wheel drive but keep in mind not a huge selection at most dealers (believe I had 8 to choose from -- many dealers in Orange County only have one or two). Mileage averaging about 28 mpg overall compared to claim of low-mid 30's. Quick acceleration and happy with tire selection by Ford - Continental - give a smooth ride.

Perfectly sensible
By EE on 11/26/05 18:50 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like this thing better than I thought I would. It doesn't feel slow, the gas mileage is good but not great ... until you compare it to OTHER SUV's, like my wife's Acura MDX which gets 12 MPG in the city while I'm getting 25 in hilly San Francisco, heh heh heh. Interior is very pleasant and unpretentious. I see people are raving about the AC outlet, but I doubt if they ever tried to use it -- it handles only very low wattage, so plugging in anything useful trips the circuit breaker and shuts it off. Can't even plug in my tire inflation pump. For my usage, which includes city commuting plus trips into the snow, this AWD hybrid is perfect.

Florida fun - getting 30+ miles/gallon
By flawill on 11/17/05 22:49 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Rented a Prius for a day to "check" out the hybrids - was told that the Ford Escape was similar to the Toyota. Almost bought a Prius - but really wanted an SUV. Searched the internet for local dealer inventory; good experience, good salesman, good finance manager. I think showing up the last day of the month helped - with the Edmunds info in hand. Mileage in city is usually 32. Having trouble getting 30 MPG highway.

Auto for the near future
By weatherman on 11/03/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Loved the 2002 Escape so much my wife said we should get the Hybrid version. Stands a little taller, lacks the 12 volt outlet in the back, but is much quieter than old version. Perforated leather is softer and seats more comfortable. Drivetrain performance is not noticeably different than the V6 2002 we are used to. Sound system is good and the navigation is a neat plus when driving to unfamiliar destinations. No engine noise at stops and speeds under 30 is something we have gotten used to quickly. Electric power steering gives reasonable road feedback but not the same as traditional. When accelerating the engine spools up quickly, the vehicles moves smoothly without any gear changing.

Good Hybrid, but Room for Improvement
By Vince Fredrick on 10/17/05 11:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my 2001 Prius for a bit more room and to get "up" above the traffic a bit. Found the Escape to be a pretty good replacement (though about 15 mpg lower than the Prius). The Escape performs beautifully and rides well. I do feel a bit let down by the interior though. I got the Premium Package (recommended) to at least get some comfort items, but it is a far cry from the interior on my Eddie Bauer Expedition as far as useful design and layout. Doesn't have adequate storage for misc items in the driver area -- just the arm console.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.