Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Brake system failure. 5-7k to repair brakes
By Tim Fitzgerald

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this 2006 ford escape hybrid with 67k miles. Thought it was a great investment for my family and the economy. The joke was on me. On my way to work one morning my dashboard lights alerted me of a brake system failure and had to roll into a snowbank to stop. I have the car towed and expect a modest repair bill of $1000 or less, we are talking about brakes. To my surprise I was quoted $5000-$7000 to repair the brake system. The bulk of the cost is in the hydraulic charging unit, quoted to me at $4500. $1000 for a new master cylinder and $1095 to bleed the brakes. We are now up to $6500 with out labor costs. With labor looking at 7-8k. How can Ford justify a repair of brakes to cost $7-8k??? Have contacted ford several times with no answers or assistance. They apologize and tell me there is nothing they can do. Ironically they changed the brake system in 2007 model, I wonder why??? Talk about Ford satisfaction. Stay away from these vehicles they have done nothing but drain my bank account.

Tim Fitzgerald
Swampscott Ma 01907
boomer328@comcast.net

Decent car, expected better fuel economy
By Brenda Lunger

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The best car purchase I have ever made!!!!
By Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reluctantly purchased my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid in 2011 with 134000 miles!!!! Got it for 4000 dollars on eBay.... Immediately after purchasing I had to replace the hybrid battery cooling fan. Very simple to do, ordered from Amazon and did it myself in about 30 mins. Now, in 2015, I have 234289 miles and the only money I've ever put into the car was for routine maintenance. It's amazing! I have never owned a vehicle that was so easily kept. I consistently get about 27-28 mpg in the city with either heat or air in most of the time and I get about 24-25mpg on the beltway(I speed like crazy, so that's incredible mileage per gallon to me). The engine is quiet, the ride is smooth and for the first time since I started buying cars, I feel like I totally got my monies worth out of a vehicle! 4000 dollars for over 100000 miles and she still keeps going.
I do think I'll need a wheel bearing replaced, which means I'll do them all at once, but I cannot say enough about the build quality and performance of these hybrids. To be able to drive an suv and get close to 30mpg while still being able to sit up high and grab lumber from The Home Depot without renting a truck... It's amazing!
I wanted to write this as soon as I hit 100k miles and before I go and spend money on the wheel bearings(which I could let ride for a bit, but why would I do that? She deserves to be kept up).
I'm currently searching for another since I'm giving this one to my newly licensed son. Lol

So to anyone it there that can get their hands on one of these, get it!!! Take it home, check it over and baby it because you'll likely own it for a long, long time.

Great Car.... but
By phdmam

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got it new and have been saving money on gas every mile I drive it. I have done my math, and save a gallon for every gallon of gas I use. Cons...-- Tires do not last long, on my 3rd set at 80k. Front end suspension is a problem - just fixed all my tie rods (the were old and torn) (I have had 20 year old Hondas with 175k and never changed a tie rod). Just changed my 2nd tone (ABS sensor) rings because they are exposed to the elements and break from rust. Overall, great car, no expenses to change antifreeze yet, no expenses for transmission fluids (lifetime). My kids are of driving age, and I think I will get another FEH

Nice little SUV hybrid
By guru32145

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb.
I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle.
We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops)
have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get.
This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices.
Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

29 mpg silent neighborhood cruising no starter sound