2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Good Ride. Great Value
By clcs5860 on 12/11/11 18:56 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 06 all wheel drive escape in 2007, had 16K miles on it at the time of purchase. I have not been kind to this car as I drive it for business and am on the go all the time. I have kept service up to date. The car now has 101K miles on it. The ride is good, acceleration peppy for a hybrid. Only unexpected problem I have had, is to replace a power steering module which cost $824. The leather on the drivers seat has worn through in the arm which indicates the leather in the car is fairly cheap No other complaints.

Nice little SUV hybrid
By guru32145 on 05/19/11 18:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb. I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle. We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops) have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get. This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices. Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

If a do-over, would not buy
By 1driver3 on 03/24/11 14:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2006 Ford Hybrid with only 30,543 miles needs major repairs. First it was new tires, replacing those the car came with. So, at 30,000 miles I got 4 new tires. The car now has a bad rear end differential which can not be repaired but must be replaced to the tune of at least $2k, maybe more they say. No warranty, very low miles but 5 years old. I was told by the dealership that Ford and the dealership don't have the same level of customer service/loyalty because of the economy! We have probably purchased our last Fords. I may trade in but definitely not for another Ford!

Fantastic Hybrid SUV
By dillpickle on 02/24/10 10:10 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is an excellent alternative to the large, offensive SUV's driven by urban soccer moms. The gas mileage is terrific and extends time between fill ups on the highway. The vehicle is extremely dependable and very low maintenance compared to any other SUV on the road. The 4 wheel drive is competent and provides excellent winter traction and stability. The CVT transmission is similar to a golf cart on steroids and provides a seamless, smooth acceleration and "shifting". The cabin and ride are comfortable for long trips and space is plentiful for luggage and accessories. The best vehicle we have ever purchased.

Just Turned Four
By Kevin on 01/03/10 15:47 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have posted here previously. Like others, was looking to do right thing for the environment, have some carrying capacity and seeking better mileage. About 38K mi.on the vehicle. 4WD Hybrid w/o navigation or moonroof. Has been very reliable and - depending on time of year and driving habits. . . currently about 70/30 hwy./city, it averages around 29 mpg. Better mileage in warmer months here in Pacific NW. Was quite helpful having undercarriage clearance when snow blasted Seattle for a week in 12/08. Very utilitarian since it's built on Ford Ranger frame and has continued to perform as advertised. My wife was rear-ended at about 20-25 mph a year and a half ago. Vehicle held its own.

Bill's Escape
By Bill on 05/22/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I brought the car because I wanted to do good for the environment. And to get good economy. From the first day I started to drive it, it was a fun car. It's room, and can fit 4 adults comfortable. I especially like the navigation system. Too bad it was not true GPS. Now is it basically useless. I do like the roll out cover behind the 2nd seat. If you have to carry something and you don't want it to be seen, rolling out the cargo cover, hides everything back there. As long as it is not taller than the cargo cover.

Love my hybrid
By green in NewEngland on 05/18/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were lucky enough to get this hybrid off the truck as there were none left in New England. I have not had trouble with my car at all. I do take it to required check-ups and oil changes. It gets out of alignment about once a year but I'm sure my new drivers are responsible for that. They love to take the hybrid because their sporty cars are gas hogs. At first the mileage was just average but as it ages it gets better and better. The interior is driver friendly, it's good in snow and warms up super fast on icy days. After three years and 72,000 miles, I love it and will replace it with the same thing when it gets too old to go.

Why get a hybrid?
By DogFather on 02/27/09 09:56 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I purchased the hybrid to increase our fuel efficiency. After 15 months, the Aux. Mode Door Actuator ceased to work. It wasn't under warranty so we paid over $500 to replace it. This offset all savings of having a hybrid. Now after 14 months, the same thing has happened again so we might as well have bought a standard Escape and saved in the long run. We found no benefit because of this in owning a hybrid by Ford.

I love my hybrid and here's why
By spacefan on 11/18/08 09:43 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First, if you have the fuel/electric usage interface for the navigation system you know what your mileage is and can adjust your driving style. Second, the system provides an average miles per gallon, not the actual miles per gallon. Third, check your tire pressure every two weeks to ensure proper inflation--it is amazing what effect properly inflated tires have on gas mileage. Fourth, with the exception of a recall on the electronics for the big battery (and the need to replace the big battery), this vehicle has been wonderfully reliable even in really cold weather (keep in mind the battery starts the engine). Lastly, during the worst of the gas crisis I was smiling all the way to the bank!

Exactly what we hoped
By ronl on 08/26/08 13:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got this car to go between San Francisco and Sacramento. One city is hilly and cool, the other flat and often hot. So, we do a lot of city driving on hills, and often use the A/C. In just over 3 years and 67,000 miles, we've avg'd over 31 mpg. (For the first 5000 mi or so, we only avg'd 28 mpg. This is as expected, as there's a sort of 'burn-in' period for the engine. Since then, we've avg'd over 32 mpg.) We've never had a repair, only normal maintenance - oil change, tune-up, etc. The car rides very well, but the interior is hard to clean, especially after carrying rock, soil, compost, and straw for our yard. In short, this car has met our best expectations.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.