Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Real owner comments
By peaceman57

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this feh from auction. Mine has 180k Miles on it now, and I've seen some on auction with 220k miles. These auction are government Auctions where they drive highway miles and do the regular maintenance. I would say the vehicle is well designed. Though this vehicle has been quite reliable, I would recommend to buy a non hybrid Vehicle. If there is a need for a major repair, expect to pay more if you need to bring it to the Dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Common thing about this model is the mecs Pump going out (has been recalled). It is really Annoying when the computer stops the car and displays a message "pull over safely." No warning before hand about temp. Also the electric system and gas system are supposed to be independent; should just disable the electric system. Also should let you keep driving to the last breadth, insteadCommon thing about this model is the mecs Pump going out (has been recalled). It is really Annoying when the computer stops the car and displays a message "pull over safely." No warning before hand about temp. of disabling the vehicle and display "pull over Safely. "

Ford nailed it
By nanonevol

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this Ford. I think it has the right size motor and electric combination unlike some hybrids. I get at least 33 mpg. The computer must take some many factors into account so the car knows when to go electric and when gas. Brilliant. I love when I'm coasting or driving along on battery or when the motor shuts off in traffic or at a light. All cars should be hybrid. It just makes sense to get the most out of a gallon. Regenerative braking also just a common sense solution to wasted heat energy in normal brakes.

Favorite Features

Hybrid. Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

The heated seat is either on and hot or off. Needs a temperature adjustment. Drivers seat not the most comfortable. Could also use more adjustments.

Great Car.... but
By phdmam

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got it new and have been saving money on gas every mile I drive it. I have done my math, and save a gallon for every gallon of gas I use. Cons...-- Tires do not last long, on my 3rd set at 80k. Front end suspension is a problem - just fixed all my tie rods (the were old and torn) (I have had 20 year old Hondas with 175k and never changed a tie rod). Just changed my 2nd tone (ABS sensor) rings because they are exposed to the elements and break from rust. Overall, great car, no expenses to change antifreeze yet, no expenses for transmission fluids (lifetime). My kids are of driving age, and I think I will get another FEH

Good Ride. Great Value
By clcs5860

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 06 all wheel drive escape in 2007, had 16K miles on it at the time of purchase. I have not been kind to this car as I drive it for business and am on the go all the time. I have kept service up to date. The car now has 101K miles on it. The ride is good, acceleration peppy for a hybrid. Only unexpected problem I have had, is to replace a power steering module which cost $824. The leather on the drivers seat has worn through in the arm which indicates the leather in the car is fairly cheap No other complaints.

Favorite Features

Good MPG, reliability, comfort and ride

Suggested Improvements

My car is an 2006, so I hope Ford has upgraded the leather.

Nice little SUV hybrid
By guru32145

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb. I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle. We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops) have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get. This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices. Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

Favorite Features

29 mpg silent neighborhood cruising no starter sound