2006 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Great Car.... but
By phdmam on 09/28/14 10:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got it new and have been saving money on gas every mile I drive it. I have done my math, and save a gallon for every gallon of gas I use. Cons...-- Tires do not last long, on my 3rd set at 80k. Front end suspension is a problem - just fixed all my tie rods (the were old and torn) (I have had 20 year old Hondas with 175k and never changed a tie rod). Just changed my 2nd tone (ABS sensor) rings because they are exposed to the elements and break from rust. Overall, great car, no expenses to change antifreeze yet, no expenses for transmission fluids (lifetime). My kids are of driving age, and I think I will get another FEH

Nice little SUV hybrid
By guru32145 on 05/19/11 18:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb. I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle. We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops) have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get. This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices. Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

Just Turned Four
By Kevin on 01/03/10 15:47 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have posted here previously. Like others, was looking to do right thing for the environment, have some carrying capacity and seeking better mileage. About 38K mi.on the vehicle. 4WD Hybrid w/o navigation or moonroof. Has been very reliable and - depending on time of year and driving habits. . . currently about 70/30 hwy./city, it averages around 29 mpg. Better mileage in warmer months here in Pacific NW. Was quite helpful having undercarriage clearance when snow blasted Seattle for a week in 12/08. Very utilitarian since it's built on Ford Ranger frame and has continued to perform as advertised. My wife was rear-ended at about 20-25 mph a year and a half ago. Vehicle held its own.

Bill's Escape
By Bill on 05/22/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I brought the car because I wanted to do good for the environment. And to get good economy. From the first day I started to drive it, it was a fun car. It's room, and can fit 4 adults comfortable. I especially like the navigation system. Too bad it was not true GPS. Now is it basically useless. I do like the roll out cover behind the 2nd seat. If you have to carry something and you don't want it to be seen, rolling out the cargo cover, hides everything back there. As long as it is not taller than the cargo cover.

Why get a hybrid?
By DogFather on 02/27/09 09:56 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I purchased the hybrid to increase our fuel efficiency. After 15 months, the Aux. Mode Door Actuator ceased to work. It wasn't under warranty so we paid over $500 to replace it. This offset all savings of having a hybrid. Now after 14 months, the same thing has happened again so we might as well have bought a standard Escape and saved in the long run. We found no benefit because of this in owning a hybrid by Ford.

Exactly what we hoped
By ronl on 08/26/08 13:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got this car to go between San Francisco and Sacramento. One city is hilly and cool, the other flat and often hot. So, we do a lot of city driving on hills, and often use the A/C. In just over 3 years and 67,000 miles, we've avg'd over 31 mpg. (For the first 5000 mi or so, we only avg'd 28 mpg. This is as expected, as there's a sort of 'burn-in' period for the engine. Since then, we've avg'd over 32 mpg.) We've never had a repair, only normal maintenance - oil change, tune-up, etc. The car rides very well, but the interior is hard to clean, especially after carrying rock, soil, compost, and straw for our yard. In short, this car has met our best expectations.

Not As Expected - Not So Hybrid
By J. Weisner on 09/15/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got a pre-owned thinking most problems been solved. There still are, the infamous squeaks at the battery area, loose and squeaky front airbag. Consumption is great below 30mph, not at the hiway. Comfortable ride anyhow. Bad attendance for recalls, not all techs knows about hybrid. Power window switch fails, not just on my Escape but on my Focus as well.

Hybrid Issues to Consider
By K. Smith on 09/01/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a just past owner of a 06 Ford Escape hybrid, I would ask anyone looking into the hybrid models 06 & 07 to have your eye's open and understand the issues I found on my hybrid. Air Conditioning: You loose your A/C when you are traveling under 25 MPH, unless you go to Max Air, This makes the gas motor run all the time and why did you buy a hybrid ? Per factory this is how it was designed and live with it or find somthing else. I did I moved to a new Edge. I never did get the suggested mileage, I average around 31 MPG on freeway, trade in value wasn't as good as my Ford sales person suggested (My fault to listen to sales person) No sour grapes, just beware !

A Joy to Own
By Gene on 06/28/07 04:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This has been a great vehicle. I feel that I have more than gotten my money's worth. With an average of 35.6mpg in both city and highway driving up and down hills, I can not be happier. The tax credits were a plus but I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Too bad they do not make a Mustang Hybrid. I would buy that too.

Had to trade it in
By dina k on 05/31/07 21:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted an Escape Hybrid since they came out and finally got one. I stupidly didn't realize the importance of getting the 4WD version. Its hard tires handle well below average in any kind of slick/snowy conditions. The truck told me the tires were under pressure when it was cold out and that the passenger door was ajar when it reached below freezing temps. Finally had to get rid of it when the dealership told me they couldn't fix the loud squeeking coming from the front drivers side brake.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.