Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great Car.... but
By phdmam

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got it new and have been saving money on gas every mile I drive it. I have done my math, and save a gallon for every gallon of gas I use. Cons...-- Tires do not last long, on my 3rd set at 80k. Front end suspension is a problem - just fixed all my tie rods (the were old and torn) (I have had 20 year old Hondas with 175k and never changed a tie rod). Just changed my 2nd tone (ABS sensor) rings because they are exposed to the elements and break from rust. Overall, great car, no expenses to change antifreeze yet, no expenses for transmission fluids (lifetime). My kids are of driving age, and I think I will get another FEH

Nice little SUV hybrid
By guru32145

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb. I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle. We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops) have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get. This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices. Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

Favorite Features

29 mpg silent neighborhood cruising no starter sound

Just Turned Four
By Kevin

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have posted here previously. Like others, was looking to do right thing for the environment, have some carrying capacity and seeking better mileage. About 38K mi.on the vehicle. 4WD Hybrid w/o navigation or moonroof. Has been very reliable and - depending on time of year and driving habits. . . currently about 70/30 hwy./city, it averages around 29 mpg. Better mileage in warmer months here in Pacific NW. Was quite helpful having undercarriage clearance when snow blasted Seattle for a week in 12/08. Very utilitarian since it's built on Ford Ranger frame and has continued to perform as advertised. My wife was rear-ended at about 20-25 mph a year and a half ago. Vehicle held its own.

Favorite Features

Hybrid battery, cargo area, peppy 4 cylinder engine.

Suggested Improvements

Am sure improvements have been substantial in last four years - Mercury Mariner has some nice bells & whistles. AWD, satellite radio, temp gauge and adjustable back seat/cargo area like Chevy Equinox.

Bill's Escape
By Bill

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I brought the car because I wanted to do good for the environment. And to get good economy. From the first day I started to drive it, it was a fun car. It's room, and can fit 4 adults comfortable. I especially like the navigation system. Too bad it was not true GPS. Now is it basically useless. I do like the roll out cover behind the 2nd seat. If you have to carry something and you don't want it to be seen, rolling out the cargo cover, hides everything back there. As long as it is not taller than the cargo cover.

Favorite Features

The CVT Transmission was especially good for adding engine drag or braking while going down hill. And you can put it in first gear and get the engine drag of braking at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

I know for a fact that the navigation system has already been updated to true GPS. It would be nice if Ford came back and correct that feature for all 2006 Escape Hybrids

Why get a hybrid?
By DogFather

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I purchased the hybrid to increase our fuel efficiency. After 15 months, the Aux. Mode Door Actuator ceased to work. It wasn't under warranty so we paid over $500 to replace it. This offset all savings of having a hybrid. Now after 14 months, the same thing has happened again so we might as well have bought a standard Escape and saved in the long run. We found no benefit because of this in owning a hybrid by Ford.

Favorite Features

It has excellent fuel efficiency. Too bad the actuator door costs cost more than the gas it saves.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Auxiliary Mode Door Actuator last more than 14 Months. Incidentally, just long enough so the old one isn't covered under warranty. I'm wondering if Ford has gone back to their old ways that got them in trouble in the eighties.