Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Brake system failure. 5-7k to repair brakes
By Tim Fitzgerald

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this 2006 ford escape hybrid with 67k miles. Thought it was a great investment for my family and the economy. The joke was on me. On my way to work one morning my dashboard lights alerted me of a brake system failure and had to roll into a snowbank to stop. I have the car towed and expect a modest repair bill of $1000 or less, we are talking about brakes. To my surprise I was quoted $5000-$7000 to repair the brake system. The bulk of the cost is in the hydraulic charging unit, quoted to me at $4500. $1000 for a new master cylinder and $1095 to bleed the brakes. We are now up to $6500 with out labor costs. With labor looking at 7-8k. How can Ford justify a repair of brakes to cost $7-8k??? Have contacted ford several times with no answers or assistance. They apologize and tell me there is nothing they can do. Ironically they changed the brake system in 2007 model, I wonder why??? Talk about Ford satisfaction. Stay away from these vehicles they have done nothing but drain my bank account.

Tim Fitzgerald
Swampscott Ma 01907
boomer328@comcast.net

Decent car, expected better fuel economy
By Brenda Lunger

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The best car purchase I have ever made!!!!
By Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reluctantly purchased my 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid in 2011 with 134000 miles!!!! Got it for 4000 dollars on eBay.... Immediately after purchasing I had to replace the hybrid battery cooling fan. Very simple to do, ordered from Amazon and did it myself in about 30 mins. Now, in 2015, I have 234289 miles and the only money I've ever put into the car was for routine maintenance. It's amazing! I have never owned a vehicle that was so easily kept. I consistently get about 27-28 mpg in the city with either heat or air in most of the time and I get about 24-25mpg on the beltway(I speed like crazy, so that's incredible mileage per gallon to me). The engine is quiet, the ride is smooth and for the first time since I started buying cars, I feel like I totally got my monies worth out of a vehicle! 4000 dollars for over 100000 miles and she still keeps going.
I do think I'll need a wheel bearing replaced, which means I'll do them all at once, but I cannot say enough about the build quality and performance of these hybrids. To be able to drive an suv and get close to 30mpg while still being able to sit up high and grab lumber from The Home Depot without renting a truck... It's amazing!
I wanted to write this as soon as I hit 100k miles and before I go and spend money on the wheel bearings(which I could let ride for a bit, but why would I do that? She deserves to be kept up).
I'm currently searching for another since I'm giving this one to my newly licensed son. Lol

So to anyone it there that can get their hands on one of these, get it!!! Take it home, check it over and baby it because you'll likely own it for a long, long time.

Real owner comments
By peaceman57

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this feh from auction. Mine has 180k
Miles on it now, and I've seen some on auction
with 220k miles. These auction are government
Auctions where they drive highway miles and do
the regular maintenance. I would say the vehicle
is well designed.

Though this vehicle has been quite
reliable, I would recommend to buy a non hybrid
Vehicle. If there is a need for a major repair,
expect to pay more if you need to bring it to the
Dealer.

Common thing about this model is the mecs Pump going out (has been recalled). It is really Annoying when the computer stops the car and displays a message "pull over safely." No warning before hand about temp. Also the electric system and gas system are supposed to be independent; should just disable the electric system. Also should let you keep driving to the last breadth, insteadCommon thing about this model is the mecs Pump going out (has been recalled). It is really Annoying when the computer stops the car and displays a message "pull over safely." No warning before hand about temp. of disabling the vehicle and display "pull over Safely. "

Ford nailed it
By nanonevol

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this Ford. I think it has the right size motor and electric combination unlike some hybrids. I get at least 33 mpg. The computer must take some many factors into account so the car knows when to go electric and when gas. Brilliant. I love when I'm coasting or driving along on battery or when the motor shuts off in traffic or at a light. All cars should be hybrid. It just makes sense to get the most out of a gallon. Regenerative braking also just a common sense solution to wasted heat energy in normal brakes.

Hybrid. Navigation.

The heated seat is either on and hot or off. Needs a temperature adjustment. Drivers seat not the most comfortable. Could also use more adjustments.