2013 Ford Edge Consumer Review: I Love This Car

2013 Ford Edge - Consumer Review

I Love This Car
By catseye on

2013 Ford Edge SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I now have 1000 miles on my new Edge and I LOVE IT. One adjective that comes to mind is "Refined". You get the feeling that a lot of attention has been paid to the design and ergonomics. It's very stylish and comfortable. On a recent trip I averaged 25 mpg (V6). The tire pressure monitoring system warned me of low pressure; I had picked up a nail somewhere that I would not have noticed until the tire went flat. The performance is great and really kicks in when passing. (BTW, I don't think you need AWD; added cost, added complexity, reduced gas mileage. I live in Montana and believe that the traction of front wheel drive will be very adequate.)

Styling; OK, yes, it does look somewhat like a jelly bean on wheels but it makes a statement with the aggressive front grill (and my choice of Rudy Red Metallic). The seats are comfortable and the car is roomy with a lot of rear storage space. The car is "tight" in a good way. One feels very connected to the car. Very responsive though it does hesitate at times and then surges ahead. Even small things like the parking brake pedal -- it's placed high and is very accessible but allows for plenty of leg room. I had done a lot of research on this car and even rented one a couple of times on trips to check it out. It has lived up to its expectations.

There has been lots of bad press about the MyFordTouch/synch system but my experience has been very positive (the system did "freeze" once -- like most electronic thingeys do) but I just did a reset and resynch and it was back. Sometimes it doesn't understand me but the voice commands are very easy to give and most often understood. When I say "Elvis" and the radio says "Tuning to Elvis" on Sirius that's way cool. Or when I say "Call Jim" and it (she?) says "Shall I call Jim at home or on cell?" that's very cool too. I just leave my cell phone in my pocket and it detects it and connects. The turn-by-turn nav works great too. Don't let criticism of MFT stop you from buying this car.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review