Used 2013 Ford Edge SEL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Edge SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Edge model:

Ford Sucks
By jammeabend

2013 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ford Customer care sucks. My Edge was involved in a minor accident on May 12th, the passenger side door is creased and unrepairable. To date we are still waiting on door and will be waiting for a minumim of 2 more months. Meanwhile the body shop has my edge torn apart and is undrivable. During this time we have contacted Ford on many occasions and have received the run around and been told it's not Fords fault it is their vendor. We were told that if it were a dealership fixing it they would provide a rental but my local dealer is not an approved repair facility. I hate to rate the car so low, because I do enjoy the car, but 3 mos waiting on a door is unacceptable.

Why all of the Negative Reviews in the Press?
By carcritic3

2013 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I don't understand why the automotive press dislikes the Edge so much.. Consumer Reports complains about an unrefined engine and transmission a jittery ride, road noise and poor reliability. I've had my Edge for 6 months and 7500 miles and have had no problems at all. The engine and transmission operate smoothly, it is quiet on the highway, and I love the ride. It is on the firm side but the vehicle handles like a car despite its high center of gravity. It is stable in cross winds unlike a Saturn Vue we owned. My Edge DOES NOT HAVE the My Ford Touch system. It has the My Ford system with buttons, dials, and switches and I love it.

The ride and handling. The size and cargo capacity. The comfort on long trips it is smooth and quiet. I love the smoothness of the 3.5 L V-6 and the 6-speed automatic transmission. I love the power. I love the standard back up sensors The gas mileage isn't all that bad for a vehicle of this size and with an engine this size. I get 17-19 MPG in town depending on traffic and red lights and 26 to 27 highway again depending on highway conditions, load in the vehicle and the speed traveled at. I get what the EPA says it should get. I'm willing to sacrifice a few MPG to had a lot of power on tap when needed.

The Owner's manual is very poorly written - next to useless. The tail gate is very heavy - would like to see a composite gate rather than steel. The SEL trim level does not have one touch down on the front passenger side window nor does it have the home link universal garage door opener. The rear head rests don't fold down when not in use blocking the drivers rear vision.

Ford has always had better ideas
By awaya

2013 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car surpassed my expectation. The quality is very good and came very well equippted. The seats provide good support both front and rear. The Ford My Touch is vastly inproved. I test drove the 2.0 engine for 1 week but felt it to be a bit under powered and had too much down shifting for my liking. Although the 3.5 engine is more than capable, quiet and reliable it seems to fall short in overall gas milage. Overall the car is great and we look foward to many trips with it.

i think the blind spot feature is outstanding and every car should be so equipped.

I am a little disappointed with the manual that is packed in the glove compartment.

Microsoft Sync wont run Windows WMA songs?
By sync

2013 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Latest technology but Windows 7 audio songs .wma fail to run unless I set Windows Media Player to rip MP3 CD to my USB flash drive. This media file is protected and cannot be accessed... Thank you FORD & Microsoft... I mean has nobody at Ford upgraded their computer to Windows 7; released in 2009? I guess the My Ford Touch issues persist to make its customers guinea pigs... I'm still hoping to see if it's a better built car over time.

I'm just hoping to get from A to B in comfort. Over time I'd like to see Convenience not only in getting around but seeing quick service to get it back on the road. So reliability is wait & see...

After plugging in the USB, the computer (MFT) seems to spend lots of time indexing & loading all the song titles, Artists, Album names, etc... from My Music library that I'd think it could almost download the rest of it. It'd do away with having the USB dongle / key fob plugged into the arm rest storage bin; which is small enough already. I was sad to hear that you can TAG Sirius songs but with Apple devices... We wouldn't want a stereo to actually record anything? How Convenient would that be? I'd really like to see the Gear Shift on the Steering Column... Free up some dead space.

I Love This Car
By catseye

2013 Ford Edge SUV SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I now have 1000 miles on my new Edge and I LOVE IT. One adjective that comes to mind is "Refined". You get the feeling that a lot of attention has been paid to the design and ergonomics. It's very stylish and comfortable. On a recent trip I averaged 25 mpg (V6). The tire pressure monitoring system warned me of low pressure; I had picked up a nail somewhere that I would not have noticed until the tire went flat. The performance is great and really kicks in when passing. (BTW, I don't think you need AWD; added cost, added complexity, reduced gas mileage. I live in Montana and believe that the traction of front wheel drive will be very adequate.)

Styling; OK, yes, it does look somewhat like a jelly bean on wheels but it makes a statement with the aggressive front grill (and my choice of Rudy Red Metallic). The seats are comfortable and the car is roomy with a lot of rear storage space. The car is "tight" in a good way. One feels very connected to the car. Very responsive though it does hesitate at times and then surges ahead. Even small things like the parking brake pedal -- it's placed high and is very accessible but allows for plenty of leg room. I had done a lot of research on this car and even rented one a couple of times on trips to check it out. It has lived up to its expectations.

There has been lots of bad press about the MyFordTouch/synch system but my experience has been very positive (the system did "freeze" once -- like most electronic thingeys do) but I just did a reset and resynch and it was back. Sometimes it doesn't understand me but the voice commands are very easy to give and most often understood. When I say "Elvis" and the radio says "Tuning to Elvis" on Sirius that's way cool. Or when I say "Call Jim" and it (she?) says "Shall I call Jim at home or on cell?" that's very cool too. I just leave my cell phone in my pocket and it detects it and connects. The turn-by-turn nav works great too. Don't let criticism of MFT stop you from buying this car.

• SUV