AWD SEL Edge 2012 a Great Consideration
By mtschida on
2012 Ford Edge SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I live in a mountainous area and have been struggling a few mos. a year with my FWD. It was time to go for an AWD. I also need room for 2 dogs, musical instruments, groceries, grandkids on occasion and was struggling with my smaller FWD sedan. I'd put the back seats down on my sedan and the dogs (Border Collies) would slide into the trunk. Needed a bigger car that could hold the road and get up all these hills while filled with stuff...In making my decision, I looked at several vehicles but liked the Edge. Had rented one and was very happy after a week of driving in snow and up and down some big hills. Also loved the tech.
Favorite Features
While some folks don't like the tech or find it difficult, I love it. I've got the touch screen and sync. Love it all!! Find it easy to use. I think the touch screen is intuitive and the color coding is smart. If I don't want to use the touch screen, I can access all the same things such as climate, phone and entertainment from the steering wheel. The sync is lovely to use. Follows commands easily. Stream Pandora, listen to iTunes or navigate the mountains. Lovely. Anyway, for all of you afraid of tech, this works very well for this granny. Also think the cabin is super with soft touch surfaces. Very simple and classy. Dashboard with many features is ahead of the pack.
Suggested Improvements
Wish the mileage was better. This is a heavy car and AWD so it is what it is. My hope is that Ford and others will soon have an AWD that gets better mileage. I've been averaging 19.5 in town and 22 (give or take) on the road. My grown kids aren't impressed... Car has 1500 miles on it. The other little thing that could be better is placement of the flashers. Sometimes when I'm using the touch screen, I accidentally brush by the 4 ways. Need to make that harder to activate. Look like I'm in a parade or funeral half the time.