Used 2011 Ford Edge Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Edge - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Edge model:

Ford Edge - 5 Year Life Span
By Michele Bond

2011 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have (had) a 2011 Ford Edge Limited and maintained it according to service manual guidelines. I was out running errands on a Saturday and it quit moving. I had to get it towed to the auto repair shop and learned that it needs a new engine!!! Hello. That is a $7-8K repair for a car that is only 5 years old. Ford customer service was of little or no help other than to say that the car needs to be at a Ford dealership. Not happening...the car won't move and I would need to have it towed again. I suggested a 3-way call between me, Ford customer service, and the car repair shop, which was not possible. Did I like the Ford Edge? Yes...loved it up until 3 days ago when it stopped working and needed a new engine. Definitely not reliable and not recommended. And, Ford is little or no help. I don't think that it is acceptable for a car manufactured in this day and age to only run for 5 years and then require an engine replacement.

143,000 miles since 2011 - NO ISSUES
By NanoSk

2011 Ford Edge SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 3.5 L V6 Edge Limited AWD gets 23.5 mpg average, no matter how I drive. I am averaging about 28 k miles per year. I have put lots of miles in on the highway, but also in stop and go traffic. Only replaced oil, filters, brake pads, wipers, and tires. PTU in rear trans replaced at about 118,000 under warranty. 85,000 miles out of each pair of Michelin tires (still on 2nd set). Great handling in the New England snow too. I will buy another Edge, and really think it is a great vehicle. Another Ford home run.

Worst car purchase ever.
By Wes Howard

2011 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had (4) Ford trucks and loved them. No problems. Great trucks. Love the look of the Edge and I bought mine from a dealership, one owner, 62K miles, great CarFax, great shape, no issues best I could tell after inspecting and driving. After 9 months and putting 26K mainly highway miles I have spent $3000 on a leaking PTU - replaced PTU assembly, a shock rear shock gone bad - replaced both, brake issues - fixed, an axle seal gone bad - replaced, a leaking power steering hose - replaced, a transmission that had to be reprogrammed (no charge for this), bad rear wheel hub assembly - replaced.........and at the moment I have a back seat that will not go down which I rarely ever do but the dealership informed me that the release wire/cable had broken and that repair is a bit over $300 and today my sunroof opened and would not close. And the dealership this afternoon looked at it and had no clue what to do other than say bring it back when that have a full day to look at it. At the moment this lemon of a car is in my driveway with the the sunroof wide open and thankfully it's a clear night. Funny thing is I've owner a Toyota 4Runner and I know how dependable those cars are...I was deciding between the Edge and a Toyota Highlander and the Edge was my choice..and the only thing I can remember that sales guy saying who had the Highlander was you better keep in mind, there's a big difference between a Ford car and a Ford truck. Man if only I had listen to him. There you have it. I just got my bank approval back and I cannot trade this piece of junk quick enough.

An Engineer's Perspective
By R. Eads

2011 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new. My wife drives it primarily. It's now traveled just over 55,000 miles. We have owned mostly SUV's and trucks recently so this was our last venture into the land of unibody, transverse engine mounted vehicles. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the vehicle. It's outstanding features are in the technology it brings to the segment. The adaptive cruise control borders on magical. It is very hard to fool and is very able to sense lane changes and switching of lanes. I find it very impressive and it makes long drives across interstates from state-to-state-to state a breeze during construction season. You set the distance between you and the next car. You set the speed. It keeps the distance and life is great. The Sony sound system is very good and the bluetooth integration is also great. It seems much more adept compared to GM, Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge/Fiat for the same year and then some. My edge is AWD and the torque vectoring is exceptional in keeping the vehicle aligned. With good tires, the vehicle does exceptionally well in snow, better than classic SUVs. Even a Jeep Grand Cherokee seems less capable in a snow/ice scenario than does the AWD Edge. Ford gets high marks here. From a reliability standpoint it has been excellent. There were two warranty items. First was the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM). Ford issued an extended warranty on this module. It started acting flakey, the display would dim on its own. It was replaced at no cost. The second item was the brake booster. Again Ford issued an extended warranty on this item (up to 150,000 miles) it was replaced at no cost. The brake booster fail resulted from a failure in the rubber diaphragm of the brake booster. I suspect that the fuel tank vapor recovering lines that connect to the intake manifold are also tied to the vacuum supply for the brake booster along with the intake manifold. This loosely ties the fuel system to the brake booster system thus allowing fuel condensate to accumulate in the brake booster. Alcohol in the fuel is no friend of synthetic rubber materials in your vehicle and may be the ultimate root cause of this failure. The resulting failure manifestation is a very stiff brake pedal that gets stiffer over time. I would not be surprised if this leads to a recall as it is a potential safety issue. To me, neither of these two problems would be deal breakers if the question was "would I buy another one?" knowing what I know now. I would buy another one. I think it has many strengths for the price point and the things it does well (AWD, room, comfort, sound, technical aids like BLIS and Adaptive Cruise), it does very very well.

My first new car FORD EDGE SPORT. what a nightmare
By Joann rodriguez

2011 Ford Edge Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car has so many issues, the camera stops working, the drivers door latch isn't working. Which is a safety issue. There are 1000 people complaining about it and Ford is ignoring it. They should have a recall. The electrical in this car is dangerous. And the tires OMG. I don't recommend a FORD TO ANYONE.

• SUV