2008 Ford Edge SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Edge - Consumer Reviews

2008 Edge Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Edge model:

Sort Reviews by

33 MPG Highway, Toyota who?
By 33 mpg Highway

2008 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I submitted a review a month after the wife and I bought a 2008 Edge, but could not wait to brag about the gas mileage we got on our 2,145 mile vacation from Iowa to North Carolina. When we left it had 2,881 miles on it. At first I did not care for the gas mileage at all, but the dealership kept telling me the mileage would get better and boy did it! I always use the cruise control, and at 74 mph this new Edge averaged 33 mpg and I have 4 people who can verify this. So eat your heart out Toyota owners. Ford has a great American crossover in this new Edge.

Favorite Features

Love the power liftgate, reclining seats, Vista roof, AWD, Sirus radio, engine power. Most of all the gas mileage! Reverse backing sensor system.

Suggested Improvements

Make dash lights brighter, at dusk its hard to see the gauges. Other than that Ford has hit a home run with this crossover.

100% impressed...highly recommend!
By Todd in Nanaimo

2008 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Being in real estate, I put a ton of miles on a car in a year, and both me and my clients love the Edge! The few snow days were absolutely no challenge, the SYNC system is amazing. Leather and other interior features are very luxurious and are extremely comfortable even for a full day in the car. Fuel economy is what I expect for a strong V6. I have never driven a car that turns heads like this! A trip up to the ski hill with two friends and skis and snowboards was a perfect use of all the space and comfort and we passed many vehicles on the way up in the snow. Passing on the highway is a breeze..the power seems even more evident at full highway speed, it can snap your head back at 120kph

Favorite Features

SYNC, power lift gate, navigation, sound system, leather seats with bold stitching, very comfortable back seats and of course the full glass roof! Awesome to have open on a sunny day and the wind blocker when it is open reduces highway noise to almost imperceptible. Can't decide on one favorite!

Suggested Improvements

A/C vents/blow pattern, get rid of the chrome around the vents. It glares in the window sometimes. Should have an auto temp setting between the lower options of 16 and 19 degrees celsius. I'd like it to be 18 sometimes! Not much to do on this one..it's nearly perfect.

Short andloves it!!
By slg

2008 Ford Edge SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As a 5'1 woman, mine is super comfortable! My seat adjusts every which way possible! My car came with Michelins on it, smooth ride with little road noise, less than my Altima! We traded in a 2005 Nissan Altima that I had put 89,000 miles on in 38 months, trust me! The Edge is a good performing car too, has plenty of power. My gas mileage stinks, but that is my fault! Sync is great, although "Debbie" hears what she wants sometimes. Good style and design! I love it! Bought it because my sister has an 07 and loves it too! We knew all baby stuff would fit and we had outgrown my car! Husband's knees no longer hit!

Favorite Features

Sync and all the power ports! Having my ipod plugged in center console! Steering wheel controls standard! Seats that feel like they are hugging me! Husband is a firefighter so saftey was major selling point! Also glad 08 has lift handle on tailgate, sister has 07 and hers is hard to open/close!

Suggested Improvements

Needs cargo area cover! Fuel door release from inside car!

Could be more
By Crashley

2008 Ford Edge SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Feeling a bit let down. I see other crossovers (MDX, Acadia, Highlander) on the road and wish I had opted for one of those. The drive is nice and smooth ,and I do enjoy the Sync, nav system and power lift-gate. The airconditioning needs some help. Even on high, I keep reaching to turn it higher, and the airvents will not turn to blow directly in your face. Opening the sun-roof helps, but it is loud at higher speeds. You would think will all the hype over Sync, Ford would have invested in more speakers. 4 speakers standard and upgraded sound has only 6? Our Corolla has better sound! After 4 fillups, we are averaging 16mpg mostly city driving.

Favorite Features

Power liftgate, SYNC and Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the AC,add more airvents or allow vents to turn more inward. Splurge on a few more speakers and subwoofer. VistaRoof- Allow the front sunshade to be open while keeping rear closed. Allow the tilt/vent to occur without pulling sunshade back (like the MDX).

I hate the Ford Edge!
By Stacey

2008 Ford Edge SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a '05 Honda CRV, and regret trading for the Edge. Am now looking to trade back in on another CRV or something else. I have a 45 minute drive to work (one way) and am hurting by the time I get there. The seats are uncomfortable,makes my back hurt & makes my legs go to sleep and hurt. The seat needs to tilt more at the base for the shorter person. This car is not built for the short person. I can't drive through the ATM without a lot of problems or need to get out. The AC vents are pathetic. At certain angles the sun shines on the chrome strip on the shifter and surround and shines in the eyes. Would rather not have the chrome. Road noise on this one, I believe due to the brand of tires.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth feature, radio okay, height of the SUV, love the copper color.

Suggested Improvements

Have a MP3 jack on the dash, bottom of seat needs to tilt forward for shorter drivers. Side mirrors too high, major blind spots. Put Michelins on all instead of no name brand (makes road noise fairly loud), better air vents, arm rests- seating is too wide and seat up to for me to use the door/console.

Way better than expected!
By Matt

2008 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Edge the day before we headed out to Orlando for vacation. The car averaged 25 mpg there and back, thought that was fantastic. Since we got back and just travel around town, the mileage has averaged between 17.5mpg and 18.5mpg. That's still pretty good to me considering it's an SUV and we both have a pretty heavy foot. The engine isn't the quickest from a dead stop but it does pretty good, however when you're up to speed it really gets up and goes when you want to pass slower drivers. My wife and I both love the car more every time we drive it. To think I was worried about buying a Ford product seems a little silly now.

Favorite Features

The power lift gate is a must have feature on this vehicle, the driving position is great, more like a truck than a car, the leather on the seats seems to be high quality,my wife loves the heated seats, I like the sync for the iPOD

Suggested Improvements

The bluetooth is not that great, hard to hear and be heard, however it works great as a caller id on the radio, that way you can screen calls without picking up your phone

I went American
By Lester

2008 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded a Toyota Forerunner for my new Edge. I thought I'd miss the Toyota but after one day the old girl was history. The Edge has a nice firm grip on the road and is quick enough to get you into traffic without any anxiety. The ride is quiet and I have too many choices for music with the Sync system. All in all, I love the car. I love the automatic lift on the rear door and the roominess for all the passengers. So far the gas mileage has been in the 17-23 mpg range. All in all a great car.

Favorite Features

Styling, Sync system,seating comfort, quiet ride, holds the road very well at high speeds

Suggested Improvements

If anything I would have the automatic transmission change gears at different speeds. It revs too high in the lower gears and I find it a tad noisey

Great
By Rich3910

2008 Ford Edge SEL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2004 F150 and was not sure if I wanted a smaller car. Gas mileage to me if great window sticker said 17 city - -27 highway. I'm getting 22.6 in the city and 32 Hwy with cruise. Gas mileage is great compared to some forgien cars that you see on TV. All I can say buy american!

Favorite Features

Sync, best thing they ever did.

Suggested Improvements

I only have one thing that needs changing and that is the visability at the lower corners of the windshield.

Sweet!
By Robert Jones

2008 Ford Edge SEL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After looking at Saturn, Mazda, Cadilac, Buick, and Ford Crossovers, the Edge was and pleasant and impressive surprise. A great riding and handling vehicle with a well- engineer interior space to seat its riders. My wife was immediately drawn to the luxurious look and feel of the stone colored leather and the pearlescet white sand mica paint. The 20" tires with their chrome clad wheels gives the Edge a final touch of sophistication and well-connectedness. Engine is quiet and responsive with all the power you need. No jerkiness, no hesitation, and one of the smoothest transmissions we've ever experienced. Beats our Lexus RX330 all over the place. The panoramic moonroof-a real wowzer!

Favorite Features

Sync Power lift back doo.r Back up sensors. Comfy leather seating. Soothing feel of luxury without breaking the bank. So impressed we're going to get a second one for me. A little sportier with roof rails, red paint and camel leather. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Suggested Improvements

A little hard to see the instrument panel through the steering wheel unless it is at one specific angle. Makes the adjustability a bit less useful. The headlight/foglight switch is easily turned off by the knee when entering and exiting. Should be tucked out of reach of the knees.

Great crossover, my Edge
By Vinny

2008 Ford Edge Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've driven my Edge for almost 1,400 miles and, love it. Traded in my '05 Murano. The ride, performance and, comfort are better. The Vista roof and, Sync are fantastic. Gas mileage is okay, was getting around 17 per gallon with mostly local driving. Added a Cyclone fuel saver & added 1.5 MPG's. What you get for the price is great, got everything but Nav. My only complaint, non Nav. radio display is very lacking in info and, impossible to see in sunlight and, the auto climate control gives you no idea of what the system is doing while in auto mode. Again, still love the Edge and, would recomend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Vista roof is beautiful to have open on nice spring days, and the Sync system makes phone calls a breeze, not to mention music access.

Suggested Improvements

Non nav radio display and, auto climate display need to improve to the level of other $30,000 plus crossovers.