Best Car Ever!!
By qaguy1982 on
2001 Ford Econoline Wagon E-150 XL 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)
I purchased the 2001 Econoline with the Traveler package and the 5.4L engine when I was a Boy Scout leader with two kids in college. I had blown the shocks on my previous minivan 3 times hauling boys and heavy scout gear. We wanted something equipped similar to a mini van but not a full conversion van. Found the van on a lot with the Traveler package. As others have mentioned it was much cheaper than the larger SUVs and holds more cargo. Nothing but brake pads and tires to replace for the first 10 years. Mileage could be better but try and move the same amount of gear and people with sedans and you will buy a lot more gas since you will need more cars.
Favorite Features
When driving with the scouts it can pull the scout trailer easily. Additional 4 ft of space behind the last seat allows for all the personal gear in the back. I have switched it from passenger to cargo mode to move my kids back and forth to college. The Video Player was great when it was new and the console allowed me to attach DVD players and game consoles as needed for long trips. I also love the headroom as a tall person. I expected to move out of a van when my last kid graduated college but now I just want another one!
Suggested Improvements
Easier seat removal with below the floor clamps to allow for a flat surface when used for cargo. The console for the Video Player would have been nice to be removable as well to provide even more cargo space when needed. Better sound insulation to keep out wind noise, but hey, I bought a full size van so the trade offs were worth it.