Used 2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Econoline Wagon model:

Best Car Ever!!
By qaguy1982

2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van E-150 XLT 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2001 Econoline with the Traveler package and the 5.4L engine when I was a Boy Scout leader with two kids in college. I had blown the shocks on my previous minivan 3 times hauling boys and heavy scout gear. We wanted something equipped similar to a mini van but not a full conversion van. Found the van on a lot with the Traveler package. As others have mentioned it was much cheaper than the larger SUVs and holds more cargo. Nothing but brake pads and tires to replace for the first 10 years. Mileage could be better but try and move the same amount of gear and people with sedans and you will buy a lot more gas since you will need more cars.

Favorite Features

When driving with the scouts it can pull the scout trailer easily. Additional 4 ft of space behind the last seat allows for all the personal gear in the back. I have switched it from passenger to cargo mode to move my kids back and forth to college. The Video Player was great when it was new and the console allowed me to attach DVD players and game consoles as needed for long trips. I also love the headroom as a tall person. I expected to move out of a van when my last kid graduated college but now I just want another one!

Suggested Improvements

Easier seat removal with below the floor clamps to allow for a flat surface when used for cargo. The console for the Video Player would have been nice to be removable as well to provide even more cargo space when needed. Better sound insulation to keep out wind noise, but hey, I bought a full size van so the trade offs were worth it.

Big Red
By Ford_Guy1996

2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van E-150 XL 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My van is a very good van and especially good because of its size (which in fact, was the overall reason we were looking for a van) It's fuel economy, well, we weren't expecting a prius, so it could have been worse. The exterior is very acceptable for a 01 and the interior is very well thought out, with lots of cup holders and other thoughtful touches, although perhaps too well thought out; I find gum and candy wrappers all over the place from our kids. I commute many miles daily to chi, so I am looking for a new car but Big Red has served me very well. Although I have had only one problem with the engine sometimes it does not operate when its hot, but Keep making econolines, Ford! Thank you

Favorite Features

Cup holders, seats, size, affordability, reliability(for the most part)

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem. Other than that none.

Ford Club Wagon
By G. N.

2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van E-150 XLT 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent all around vehicle. Very capable for trailering a 3500 boat & trailer. Flexible interior with removable rear bench seat for cargo hauling.

Favorite Features

Very steady on the road. Good veihcle for pulling boat trailer. Comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission has a "klunk" and jolt just prior to stop. Ford company acknowledges this, but states there is no remedy. Need better noise insulation.

Traveler has delivered
By dwjones16

2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van E-150 XLT 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Long term test is in,104K on 5.4L Traveler package and only been to the shop twice. Had some anti-lock brake wires chaff off and give error codes plus had an idle air control go bad. Other than normal maintenance, that's it. Good solid vehicle. My wife would rather drive it in traffic than the Camry.

Favorite Features

Power, entertainment system, room.

Suggested Improvements

More second row leg room, better brakes and take a look at doing something with the suspension to save the rubber trees.

Ford E150
By arc2642angel

2001 Ford Econoline Wagon Van E-150 XLT 3dr Van (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first full size van we have owned. After 3 mini-vans, it has been a wonderful experience owning something that is so large and comfortable to drive. We have driven from NC to Texas twice and have made several shorter state-to-state trips. With front and rear air, airplane lighting, and bucket seats all around, the travel is comfortable for all.

Favorite Features

Lots of space, large seats, all around air and lighting. Also, the privacy from the large tinted windows with shades installed make it convenient to sleep when traveling.

Suggested Improvements

Make towing packages standard equipment, as well as CD/Cassette/AM/FM stereos.